Can air drying cause breakage?

Bronxcutie

I am at the Dominican salon as I type this. The stylist was putting a relaxer in my hair when she noticed that I have a small amount of breakage in the middle. I don't know what caused it since I rarely use heat and deep condition weekly. I do use an Instyler Rotating iron, which isn't all that it claims to be. The stylist asked if I tie my hair while it's wet. I do wash my hair and leave it in a loose pony overnight pretty often. She claims that it causes breakage. What do you ladies think?

I don't think so. I got tons of breakage when I blow dried, but MUCH less when i started exclusively air drying 2 months ago. Using a wide tooth comb to detangle and then just air drying with loose hair is perfect for minimizing breakage, in my case :D

I don't think so. I got tons of breakage when I blow dried, but MUCH less when i started exclusively air drying 2 months ago. Using a wide tooth comb to detangle and then just air drying with loose hair is perfect for minimizing breakage, in my case :D

Same with me. Blow drying causes me quite a bit of breakage, but I get the opposite effect with airdrying, which in fact also helps my hair retain moisture.

I think the key point was air drying in a ponytail versus air drying loose. If the pony tail is at all snug, hair can snap off because it is more elastic when wet, and shrinks somewhat (even on relaxed heads) as it dries.

I've air dried wet in a pony, loose and in two breads and I don't notice breakage with either method. I use a cut up stocking for my pony holders though...they are very gentle.

Airdrying and regular protein treatments actually stopped my breakage in it's tracks. I always airdry with my hair loose and silk scarf tied on top.

Back