CALLING TAI OR FELLOW CURLY GIRL METHODERS

Nanyanika

Hi Tai, i hope you don't mind me calling you out like this, girl i was wondering if you've tried Lorraine Massey's LemonAid cleansing and clarifying treatment where you add a whole lemon juice, along with your usual amount of conditioner, which gets the hair clean,Lorraine claims that it gets the hair cleaner than using shampoo "unbelievable". however very intriguing concept, well i probably need to clarify in the next week or two, and i'm tempted to use shampoo, i won't though, as it drys out my ends too much especially in this cold season, should i try it?.

btw have you tried the aloe aroma scalp therapy, sounds so soothing, after you rinse out a shampoo or conditioner you just add a tlbs of aloe vera gel to scalp, massage for a few minutes before rinsing or leave-in as an alternative to gel. if you've tried them, let me know your verdict vice-versa. how are you progressing on her method overall any negative/positive experiences.

Hey girl! I'm doing Curly Girl..but I haven't done the recipe yet with the lemon..I will next week though.. I wanted to clarify before I started.. but I read the book on my way out of town for the holiday and didn't have any of my clarifying shampoo with me.. I don't plan on using shampoo again so I will use the recipe in her book.. I started CG on Thanksgiving so I will just use Thursday's as my "wash scalp" day.. next Thursday I will make sure that I have the lemons so that I can do that clarifying treatment. I don't have jel either so I haven't tried that.. I still have to get that too.. what jel do you plan on getting? I think I will try that FOTE one or that Lily of the Desert or whatever that one is called.. my hair is really short because of the BC.. only like 3.5-4.5 inches and I have ALOT of shrinkage.. like around 75% what it seems to me..so it will be awhile before I have really long hair to see how products affect my hair "lookwise" if that makes sense..

Hi Rushgirl, how did it go with the no poo clarifying lemon treatment? I'm think of using the Aubrey Organics aloe gel btw what do you think of her book?

In the book, Lorraine's recipe for the Aloe Aroma scalp therapy, calls for the 'edible' type of aloe vera gel, the kind that has to be refrigerated after opening. I haven't tried it yet because where I live, that kind of aloe vera gel is hard to find.

den1 said:
Hi Rushgirl, how did it go with the no poo clarifying lemon treatment? I'm think of using the Aubrey Organics aloe gel btw what do you think of her book?

I am so sorry..I am just seeing this now.. you prolly posted this when I couldn't get to this board.. Unfortunately, I never did do the lemon treatment.. everytime I went to the store..I kept forgetting to get the lemons..LOL But, since I said that I was going to do the lemon treatment thing..I saw that VO5 made that Kiwi clarifying conditioner.. so I decided to get that the next time I go to CVS and just do that.. much easier..LOL

Also, I think the book is AWESOME!! I read it 3 times..I found it really really interesting!!! As far as I can see, I'm a Curly Girl for life!!!!!!

Pookie25 said:
In the book, Lorraine's recipe for the Aloe Aroma scalp therapy, calls for the 'edible' type of aloe vera gel, the kind that has to be refrigerated after opening. I haven't tried it yet because where I live, that kind of aloe vera gel is hard to find.

If you do a search on NaturallyCurly.com you might be able to find where some of the memebers there have found it.. but I do know that alot of people on there do not use the edible kind..they use either that Fruit Of The Earth..which is at Target.. even in the travel size.. or that Lily Of The Desert..or something like that...

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Hi Rushgirl,

Newbie here!!!

Have you ever tried the Fantasia 100% Natural Lemon Moisturizing Shampoo?
Hey Newbie!! WELCOME!! No, I haven't tried that shampoo..but I'm on the Curly Girl method so I don't use shampoo anymore.. sounds good though.. where can you buy it??

RushGirl said:
Curly Girl is a book by Lorraine Massey.. here is a website that pretty much explains everything..http://motowngirl.com/no_shampoo.htm

HTH!
:blush: OH! I didnt know the curly girl method was the same as the no shampoo method. After I run out of shampoo, that's what I'm planning to do...just wash my hair with conditioner. :) I'm doing conditioner washes right now and I just use shampoo every 2 weeks. I might just give my shampoo away if my mom or sister runs out of shampoo. :grin:

Hey Rush girl,

thanks for the welcome. I found it at my local beauty supply store. After reading about the Curly Girl Method and using lemon and baking soda to get rid of all the excess oils and hair products in your hair I decided to find an alternative than using the a real lemon and baking soda. I discovered the Fantasia 100% lemon moisturizing shampoo to do the job. I t didnt dry out my hair at all. But I wont be using it alot I will be trying out the Co washes. I hope this helps.

Poohbear said:
:blush: OH! I didnt know the curly girl method was the same as the no shampoo method. After I run out of shampoo, that's what I'm planning to do...just wash my hair with conditioner. :) I'm doing conditioner washes right now and I just use shampoo every 2 weeks. I might just give my shampoo away if my mom or sister runs out of shampoo. :grin:
Yep, it's the no poo method..but it's also avoiding silicones, alcohols..the drying ones I think.. can't remember if it's all or just the drying ones..and her way is also only using 100% aloe vera gel on your hair.. alot of people doing CG add in some honey to the gel.. I don't think I'll be doing just the gel thing..I'll have to see once my hair is alot longer.. but I like buying products too much..when I have $$..so only having to use gel doesn't sound like much fun..:lol:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Hey Rush girl,

thanks for the welcome. I found it at my local beauty supply store. After reading about the Curly Girl Method and using lemon and baking soda to get rid of all the excess oils and hair products in your hair I decided to find an alternative than using the a real lemon and baking soda. I discovered the Fantasia 100% lemon moisturizing shampoo to do the job. I t didnt dry out my hair at all. But I wont be using it alot I will be trying out the Co washes. I hope this helps.
The shampoo sounds really good!!! I'm sure you'll love the CW!! Let us know how it's going for you!!:)

I've been "no pooing" for about 1 mth... not purposely... I've been just too lazy to shampoo. I'm really interested in "curly girl's" method though.

Tonight I'm going to try the lemon conditioner clarifying technique.

Question: Is anyone adding "Honey" to their conditioners? I just bought some Goya honey... I can't wait to use it in my conditioner!

Peachtree said:
I've been "no pooing" for about 1 mth... not purposely... I've been just too lazy to shampoo. I'm really interested in "curly girl's" method though.

Tonight I'm going to try the lemon conditioner clarifying technique.

Question: Is anyone adding "Honey" to their conditioners? I just bought some Goya honey... I can't wait to use it in my conditioner!
You should get the book.. I'm sure they would even have it at the library..

I add honey to my conditioner..I added to my Suave Milk and Honey..I'm going to add some to my other ones also..

Let us know how the clarifying goes!

You all be careful with that honey in the winter. I put my honey away during the winter months. It is a humectant (along with glycerin), which means that it can draw moisture to your hair if there is a lot in the air. However, if there is more moisture in your hair than in the air (cold, dry weather), then humectants can pull moisture from your hair into the air.

Thanks for the caution Delightfulflame!
I added honey to my conditioner & I LOVE IT!!!

Rushgirl, I'm thinking about dumping my poos... that's just how much I luv the "lemon conditioner" clarifying treatment. I even started a thread on it!!!

I was wondering... since the "no poo/curly girl" method involves washing hair with conditioner, is it okay to use up my regular or clarifying shampoo to clarify the hair and scalp from buildup??? I don't have time to go out and buy stuff to mix together for a clarifying treatment. :antlers:

Last edited:
Poohbear said:
I was wondering... since the "no poo/curly girl" method involves washing hair with conditioner, is it okay to use up my regular or clarifying shampoo to clarify the hair and scalp from buildup??? I don't have time to go out and buy stuff to mix together for a clarifying treatment. :antlers:
Hmm..that's a good question.. I think it would be okay..she does explain in her book that people who have wavy hair still can shampoo because wavy hair isn't as dry as curlier hair..she suggests for them to use shampoo once a week..but she says to apply conditioner first before you apply the shampoo.. and you just have to read the labels.. CG is more than just "no poo".. not all shampoos and conditioners are CG friendly.. it's also not using silicones..except..the water soluable ones would be okay... and a few other things... I read that silicones will build up on your hair over time and I think I read that the only way to remove silicones is using a shampoo with SLS or that other one..ALS maybe..I can't remember.. so if you aren't using shampoo..you shouldn't be using the non-water soluable silicones.. does that make sense? There are lots of people who just do a modified CG routine.. you just have to figure out what's best for your hair.. nothing is ever "by the book" for everyone.. there are girls on Naturally Curly that do a modified version and maybe shampoo their hair once a week or once every 2 weeks.. the one thing I don't think I'll be following on the CG routine is just using gel in my hair.. that's just not fun for a PJ:lachen:

Poohbear said:

Hey Poohbear!
I'm not sure what "Curly Girl" says about it...but I had a lot of buildup, to the point that my scalp was itching. Adding lemon juice to my conditioner got my scalp very clean.... & it's not itching!!!

RushGirl said:
You should get the book.. I'm sure they would even have it at the library..

I add honey to my conditioner..I added to my Suave Milk and Honey..I'm going to add some to my other ones also..

Let us know how the clarifying goes!

Hey Rushgirl-
U know, I read portions of the book during the summer of 2003 (during the early months of my transition).... I was looking for techniques to help me through that journey...I really didn't care for the book back then. But now that I'm natural, I think the book would be more to my liking. I'm gonna check it back out from my library tomorrow!!!

Peachtree said:
Hey Rushgirl-
U know, I read portions of the book during the summer of 2003 (during the early months of my transition).... I was looking for techniques to help me through that journey...I really didn't care for the book back then. But now that I'm natural, I think the book would be more to my liking. I'm gonna check it back out from my library tomorrow!!!
If I was transitioning..I don't know if I would have liked it either.. if you are transitioning..you really aren't fully a curly haired girl.. but, I read it after my BC'd and I loved it.. I read it on my way to Cleveland for Thanksgiving.. and then I read it 2 other times while I was there..LOL I just found it really really interesting...especially reading people's stories..how sad it was to read that having curly hair..back in the day.. was like a tragedy or something..the things people went through to have straight hair and not embracing their curly hair..very interesting!! Also, reading about different ingredients and how uninformed stylists are about cutting curly hair.. very interesting book..

RushGirl said:
If I was transitioning..I don't know if I would have liked it either.. if you are transitioning..you really aren't fully a curly haired girl.. but, I read it after my BC'd and I loved it.. I read it on my way to Cleveland for Thanksgiving.. and then I read it 2 other times while I was there..LOL I just found it really really interesting...especially reading people's stories..how sad it was to read that having curly hair..back in the day.. was like a tragedy or something..the things people went through to have straight hair and not embracing their curly hair..very interesting!! Also, reading about different ingredients and how uninformed stylists are about cutting curly hair.. very interesting book..

OFF TOPIC...
Cleveland? What section did u visit? I live in Cleveland!

BACK ON TRACK :D
I don't remember seeing any "personal stories"... then again, I didn't read it thoroughly. I can't wait to get it... I find it very interesting to read of other's personally experiences, especially when there's a common demoninator (HAIR :D)...

Peachtree said:
OFF TOPIC...
Cleveland? What section did u visit? I live in Cleveland!

BACK ON TRACK :D
I don't remember seeing any "personal stories"... then again, I didn't read it thoroughly. I can't wait to get it... I find it very interesting to read of other's personally experiences, especially when there's a common demoninator (HAIR :D)...
I know you live in Cleveland.. that's why I mentioned it.. remember the PM's we were sending back and forth and me mentioning Cleveland's jinx..LOL My husband is from Cleveland.. We were staying in Lakewood.. one of his sisters live there.. He also has a sister who lives right in Cleveland and another one that lives in Parma.. his brother lives in Cleveland also.. on Fidelity..that doesn't look like it's spelled right though..lol

OT: There is a girl looking for you on Naturally Curly....on transtioning board.. on Dec. 7th...someone has a post that says: Paging Peachtree.. she wants to know what products you are using.. just so you know so she's not left hanging for too long :grin: I tried to PM you but your box is full..:spinning:

RushGirl said:
I know you live in Cleveland.. that's why I mentioned it.. remember the PM's we were sending back and forth and me mentioning Cleveland's jinx..LOL My husband is from Cleveland.. We were staying in Lakewood.. one of his sisters live there.. He also has a sister who lives right in Cleveland and another one that lives in Parma.. his brother lives in Cleveland also.. on Fidelity..that doesn't look like it's spelled right though..lol

OT: There is a girl looking for you on Naturally Curly....on transtioning board.. on Dec. 7th...someone has a post that says: Paging Peachtree.. she wants to know what products you are using.. just so you know so she's not left hanging for too long :grin: I tried to PM you but your box is full..:spinning:

Girl, I totally forgot about our PM's :hammer:
Sometimes I feel like this computer / net is warping my brain :assimilat:

As for the full box... I can't seem to keep on top of it. I just cleared about 30 PMs last week... now it's full again??? Alright, lemme go over to Naturally Curly... poor thing prolly thinks I don't wanna respond...

RUSH GIRL---

Hey, I just have a question you use any type of honey or is it a certain type....

right now I shampoo once a month with Elucence because its all natural and smells delicious!! loool...but every three-four days I condition wash....I have a sewin and its hard to really get it down in the braids so i dilute it with water and work it in...than rinse and repeat!!....

DangerouslyShy said:
RUSH GIRL---

Hey, I just have a question you use any type of honey or is it a certain type....

right now I shampoo once a month with Elucence because its all natural and smells delicious!! loool...but every three-four days I condition wash....I have a sewin and its hard to really get it down in the braids so i dilute it with water and work it in...than rinse and repeat!!....
Regular honey that you buy at the grocery store..

LOVE Elucence shampoo!! Definitely the best shampoo that I have ever used!! It sure does smell delicious!! In fact, I have a whole gallon of it..LOL My husband and sons can use it.. My oldest..who is 9.. has beautiful wavy hair.. so he uses it...I'm doing a modified curly girl routine on my youngest son..he has BEAUTIFUL curly hair.. he's a 3b..awesome ringlets! He just turned 3 on Friday.. I shampoo his hair with Elucence about once every 2 weeks and then just do CW the rest of the time.. I also use it to make bubbles in my little ones bath.. LOL put it in..turn on the jets.. TONS of bubbles..LOL :lol:

Thanks for replying, i hope you enjoy the VO5 Kiwi ansd lime cond, i think its excellent, it made my hair feel moisturised and very clean, Motowngirl also uses and recommends it for clarifying instead of shampoo. I also love Lorranine's book, I found her tips helpful. i've done CW loads of times but never achieved such great results, good luck with everything and please let me know if you ever remember to buy lemons lol

RushGirl said:
I am so sorry..I am just seeing this now.. you prolly posted this when I couldn't get to this board.. Unfortunately, I never did do the lemon treatment.. everytime I went to the store..I kept forgetting to get the lemons..LOL But, since I said that I was going to do the lemon treatment thing..I saw that VO5 made that Kiwi clarifying conditioner.. so I decided to get that the next time I go to CVS and just do that.. much easier..LOL

Also, I think the book is AWESOME!! I read it 3 times..I found it really really interesting!!! As far as I can see, I'm a Curly Girl for life!!!!!!

den1 said:
Thanks for replying, i hope you enjoy the VO5 Kiwi ansd lime cond, i think its excellent, it made my hair feel moisturised and very clean, Motowngirl also uses and recommends it for clarifying instead of shampoo. I also love Lorranine's book, I found her tips helpful. i've done CW loads of times but never achieved such great results, good luck with everything and please let me know if you ever remember to buy lemons lol
LOL.. actually I'm just gonna do what Peachtree did and just add lemon juice to my conditioner... how stupid I was to not think of that..:lol: I'm going to definitely get that Kiwi Lime one.. Yah, I love that book.. I'm going to buy it for one of my girlfriends for her bday and maybe make that Lavendar spritz to go with it..

Back