Calling all Wig Wearers that Workout....

Papoose

The Phoenix
So I have a question. Do you take your wigs off to hit the gym? I'm considering adopting a wig reggie for the rest of the semester, but I'm stepping up my workouts. I just don't see how they can go together without taking the wig off, because I sweat hard! Lol. If you can post your wig reggies also, I'd appreciate it.

When I am wigging it I take it off for workouts and put on a scarf. Some ladies on here have "beater" wigs they only wear while working out to keep their everyday wig clean and fresh.

My wig reggie:
My hair will be cornrowed in a beehive. I have the braids re done after 4 weeks. I wash once a week followed by deep conditioning. I will also co wash mid way through the week. If I have the time I will air dry or sit under my soft bonnet dryer. I oil my scalp after washing with a mixture of vatika oil, sulfur 8, avocado oil and rosemary essential oil.
I do keep a spray bottle full of water and avocado oil to spritz my hair as needed.
ETA: When I take the braids out I do a protein treatment with ORS Hair Mayo.

HTH

I just started wigging it and I take off the wig and put on a ball cap. I sweat too much to run 4 miles with a wig on and I think a scarf would be too much for me.

Those that wear scarves to the gym... how do you keep it non-ghetto looking? I hate feeling like I can't work out when I wear wigs because I don't feel comfortable wearing a scarf in public.

Those that wear scarves to the gym... how do you keep it non-ghetto looking? I hate feeling like I can't work out when I wear wigs because I don't feel comfortable wearing a scarf in public.

It depends on what kind of scarf you have. I have a somewhat sheer black scarf that I tie around my head, and it doesn't look ghetto to me.

Regarding the original question, I don't take the wig off when I work out (whenever I wear a wig to the gym). I just pin it up.

I mostly workout at home but I will walk/run outside.

The wigs comes off and I just tie on a scarf. I got some pretty colored ones cheap at marshalls. And I knot it in the back

I workout with my wig on. It's a long wig, and I just put it in a ponytail. I workout in any of my "older wigs". After my workout, I get dressed and cowash in the gym, change my wig cap, change my wig, go to work:drunk:

I just never felt comfortable working out with a scarf on. I sweat alot when I workout, and the wig being on doesn't bother me.

Thanks for all the responses! I have a friend that will snatch her wig off at the gym in a flash. I just can't get down like that. I'm just trying to figure out how I can marry my hair and exercise routines. Keep 'em coming!

My hair is cornrowed into a beehive and I plan on wearing a large scarf tied back into a bun, like this:
thumbnail.aspx

In the past I've worn a half wig under a scarf (so that the top half of my head is covered and the wig is secured) or just a scarf over my cornrows. I don't want to look ********** but I also don't feel like running in a wig, so I think the bunned scarf should be a good compromise.

My hair is cornrowed into a beehive and I plan on wearing a large scarf tied back into a bun, like this:
thumbnail.aspx

In the past I've worn a half wig under a scarf (so that the top half of my head is covered and the wig is secured) or just a scarf over my cornrows. I don't want to look ********** but I also don't feel like running in a wig, so I think the bunned scarf should be a good compromise.

I love this look. How do you tie the scarf into a bun?

Great suggestions ladies! I'm trying to work on the health of my hair & I'd love to get some growth, so it's wig time until the end of the semester. I haven't been treating it quite right since I've been in grad school :nono:. I also need to get back to working out. Now here's my dilemma. I can't cornrow to save my life! I've been thinking about doing some really nice individual braids under my wig. Anyone tried this yet?

Last edited:
I exercise almost exclusively at home and I just have a doo-rag on. If I were going to a class where I won't sweat much, like yoga, I might leave the wig on. For something more intense, I would take my wig off in the car and tie on a cute scarf.

I can't cornrow either. I just plait my hair in a few medium sized braids. And kind of grab the ones hanging down at the bottm and fold them under each other in a way so they lay fairly flat and secure with bobby pins (it looks a hot mess, but hey no one is going to see it, lol). It also helps that my hair is not that thick. My hair is barely layered SL so idk if this will get harder to do once it gets longer.

Last edited:
I love this look. How do you tie the scarf into a bun?
I have yet to attempt it but here are some videos. I'm used to using my own bun as anchor and tying the scarf around that but these videos show how to make a bun just using the scarf fabric.
princessdi I think they used this tie method to achieve that look (the pic is from the website that posted this YT vid).

This video shows many ways to tie a scarf, you can fast forward to about 4:40 for how to tie a bun.

I need to get a fabric that's breathable but won't cause breakage. :scratchch

Great suggestions ladies! I'm trying to work on the health of my hair & I'd love to get some growth, so it's wig time until the end of the semester. I haven't been treating it quite right since I've been in grad school :nono:. I also need to get back to working out. Now here's my dilemma. I can't cornrow to save my life! I've been thinking about doing some really nice individual braids under my wig. Anyone tried this yet?
Papoose Yup, you can do individual braids. Just make sure that the size and placement are such that your wig lies properly on your head. I used to cornrow going straight back and I even did about 10 loose individual braids under my wigs for a while but I like the beehive because it leaves minimal ends exposed. I think this was my 3rd time doing the beehive and I was still so befuddled by having to do cornrows in a continuous circle. :drunk:

Back