ALL YOU PEOPLE WITH VERY DRY HAIR, WHAT DO YOU USE?

Roux Porosity Control and daily moisturizing with coconut oil helped my extreme dryness. I also added silk amino acid to my liquid leave in.

My suggestion for ladies with dry hair to "leave-out" the glycerin in their mix. Glycerin products always make my hair feel luxorious on first feel. Then 2-3 days later after it has drawn the moisture from your hair---it's like straw!

I can't do WEN because of the high concentration of glycerin.

DC definitely helped me so I have to second that emotion.

Your leave ins sound like they are both protein rich and but you may want to combine that with a moisturizing leave in to balance the protein with moisture. My hair loves some protein, but it can make my hair dry and brittle if I don't balance it with a cream leave in and an oil like coconut. But that's just me listening to my hair.

There are some really good threads on protein/moisture balancing and good threads on baggying. I only baggy overnight on dry hair with oil, so you may want to talk to look at old posts/threads by folks who baggy like you do. I love LHCF for the search feature. There's always an old post/thread with great information waiting for me. If it's been done, it's probably in there. (sorry this is so long)

HTH

My hair was on the dry side. Find a good leave-in and seal lightly with oil. I agree with not going with the glycerin.

Well, I can say I HAD very dry hair. It has improved thanks to (in no particular order):
1. Ayurvedic Powders
2. Dumping all my traditional shampoos (only use shikikai podwer now)
3. Using reconstructors: Aveda IRT is awesome, Joico kpak is great, Affirm 5in 1 is good
4. DCing every 7-14 days (Kenra, Elasta QP, AO HSR, ORS Replenishing Pak, etc.)
5. Using SMB when I use heat (my hair seems to love cones)
6. Using gro out oil daily (I like it at night so by morning it's not super shiny)
7. Lacio lacio (or a very good leave in)
8. Staying away from glycerin in any form
9. Use coconut oil as needed
10.Stopping the blowdrying

***I now make sure I use protein each wash along with a moisturizing conditioner. It keeps my hair in check.

Last edited:
I deep condition twice a week. May be a bit of overkill but no harm so far. I have started using HAWAIIAN SILKY 14 again especially on my ends followed by Nexxus leave in; sometimes ALOE VERA GEL then oil seal 2x a day minimum. Oil pre-poos are helping too. Drink your water-CRYSTAL LIGHT helps me crave my water.

thanks every one for all the advice. I don't know if my hair is porous or not but I decided to do an acv rinse, i will eventually buy the roux porosity control. then i deep conditioned with heat, added baking soda and honey for an hour under heat. It seemed like my hair really liked the long deep condition, i get lazy, i usually deep condition for 5-10 mins in the shower. I also purchased hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and moisturized with that. So, far my hair does seem to feel more moisturized and not as dry. I have also been using more oils on my hair, castor and jojoba. So, I think my hair will continue to improve in the next few weeks, thank you everyone.

ITA with the porosity control shampoo and conditioner. I also use the 5 in 1 corrective shampoo and Mendex, all by the same company. I started using them in January and I haven't had trouble with dry or weak hair since. My hair is smooth and shiny just about every day, and I don't use a daily moisturizer either.

thanks every one for all the advice. I don't know if my hair is porous or not but I decided to do an acv rinse, i will eventually buy the roux porosity control. then i deep conditioned with heat, added baking soda and honey for an hour under heat. It seemed like my hair really liked the long deep condition, i get lazy, i usually deep condition for 5-10 mins in the shower. I also purchased hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and moisturized with that. So, far my hair does seem to feel more moisturized and not as dry. I have also been using more oils on my hair, castor and jojoba. So, I think my hair will continue to improve in the next few weeks, thank you everyone.
That's great!!!! Keep up with the long dc's and you'll def see results!

ITA with the porosity control shampoo and conditioner. I also use the 5 in 1 corrective shampoo and Mendex, all by the same company. I started using them in January and I haven't had trouble with dry or weak hair since. My hair is smooth and shiny just about every day, and I don't use a daily moisturizer either.

Co-signing. I used some Mendex this morning. I also am figuring out that I love the Roux Fermodyl 619 ampules. That stuff left my hair so soft!!

I was having trouble with dry hair as well and this weekend I tried Supergirl's guide for combating dry, breaking hair. Its in the sticky Favorite Stickies under You Feel like You're Doing Everything, But It's Still Breaking!! I can honestly say that my hair is definitely a lot more manageable and softer from this and a lot of the aforementioned techniques. Don't stress (it makes it worst) it's a fixable problem.

I put olive oil in everything: shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins. I rub a few drops of olive oil or coconut oil in my hair each day. A little goes a long way.

I want to add that Porosity Control is the bomb and has corrected any problem. The best thing is that it comes in a very small bottle for under $2.00 USD.

Keep your hair covered at night. Even if you use a satin pillow, try to keep your hair covered with a bonnet or scarf. It really makes a difference. HTH

I have troubles combating dryness as well. I use rosewater, glycerin and aloevera mix and spritz it well @ night, then seal with oil spray & then lay a cream moisturizer with mineral/petroluem in it on top of that (mainly use this on the ends). After checking out Chicoro's regimen..I have realized nothing seals like petroleum or unpetroleum jelly. So I use this to seal the moisturizer & the vatika oil in. Gotta have that extra coverage. :) :knight:

But yeah by the time I wake up my hair is super soft & feels so moist (not soaking wet either) & if I think my hair is getting mushy - I'll spray Keratin mist/protein leave-in on my hair that morning or ill spray keratin mist on my hair before I add moisture & seal the next night of baggying. But I baggy my whole head so Idk if this would apply to you..ugh i tried.

Does the petrolatum leave your hair greasy though?

My Hair was/is extremely dry, damaged, from being overprocessed. Anyone that knew about hair i.e. the folks at Sally's and others would take one look and say: You hair is extremely Porous. So, what I've done was what so many of the other Ladies suggested:

And now that I am using Meg-Tek and Henna/Indigo I have to really step it up on the DC-ing. This is what I did.

1) Read "Patricia's" Thread: MY DISCOVERY to gain a better knowledge of my hair
2) Upped my DC routine with really, Good, heavy, creamy, DC i.e. AO HRS, White Cameila, Alter Ego Garlic, Banana Brulee', Hair Stimulator Emu Oil Deep Conditioner, Redken Butter Down Treat and others.
3) Balanced my Moisture/Protein
4) Incorporated Roux Porosity Control into my Regimen after every DC (Newflowers)
5) Upped the Water to 8-12 glasses daily
6) Use a Good Leave-In Conditioner after doing my Hair
7) Use a Creamy Daily Conditioner
8) Baggying to lock in Moisture

Last edited:
Conditioning on dry hair, instead of wet hair has helped me a lot. I've tried it as a DC or regular conditioning treatment. Its proven to restore some moisture to my hair. I also add EVOO to the conditioner.

you people?? YOU people ??? what do you mean "you people"???? :poke: :clubu:

:grin: j/k ....well, i dont know about everyone else, but my extra-dry hair requires a butter (shea or avocado) no matter what style i use - its a year round requirement :yep:

I have troubles combating dryness as well. I use rosewater, glycerin and aloevera mix and spritz it well @ night, then seal with oil spray & then lay a cream moisturizer with mineral/petroluem in it on top of that (mainly use this on the ends). After checking out Chicoro's regimen..I have realized nothing seals like petroleum or unpetroleum jelly. So I use this to seal the moisturizer & the vatika oil in. Gotta have that extra coverage. :) :knight:

But yeah by the time I wake up my hair is super soft & feels so moist (not soaking wet either) & if I think my hair is getting mushy - I'll spray Keratin mist/protein leave-in on my hair that morning or ill spray keratin mist on my hair before I add moisture & seal the next night of baggying. But I baggy my whole head so Idk if this would apply to you..ugh i tried.

Can I ask where you get your keratin mist from?

you people?? YOU people ??? what do you mean "you people"???? :poke: :clubu:

:grin: j/k ....well, i dont know about everyone else, but my extra-dry hair requires a butter (shea or avocado) no matter what style i use - its a year round requirement :yep:

where do you get shea butter or avocado butter???

I have very dry hair. It drinks up EVERYTHING. I use one of the following at least twice and day, preferably three times a day:

UBH lotion creme moisturizer
ORS Olive Oil moisturizer
Infusium 23 (works great because it is a liquid)
coconut oil (natural organic kind from GNC) shown to have moisturizing properties....

Sorry if I am repeating anything:

Use some type of butter or oil that penetrates the hair shaft.

Coconut oil ( very nourishing )
Jojoba oil
Olive oil

Shea butter
Avocodo butter ( stongly recommended )

Order on-line or try your health food stores

Try washing your hair without shampoo for 2 weeks to see if you can see a difference. Many people here use shampoo bars that are natural and does not strip the hair. You can look this up on the internet. Sorry I don't have any links.

Back