Calling all ex shoulder length ladies...

IMFOCSD

How did you get over the SL hump? It seems as though it is taking forever to get past SL. How did you style your hair and what products did you use and how long did it take for you to past SL?

Thanks Ladies

LOL!!! It took me 20+ years to get over the SL hump!! Are you incorporating protective styles into your regime? It just seems like forever but you'll get there.

LOL!!! It took me 20+ years to get over the SL hump!! Are you incorporating protective styles into your regime? It just seems like forever but you'll get there.

Thanks for responding Wheezy807,

Wow 20 years huh? I wear protective styles and ponytails. I only wear my hair down once a week. I will admit that I have fallin off a lil bit, but I'm back and I'm so serious.

When I strated 6 months ago I was just a little past SL. My style was twist outs. I was doing daily co-washes and daily moisturizing. After a while I had to change my routine. But for the most part the daily co-washes and twistouts took me past SL.

When I strated 6 months ago I was just a little past SL. My style was twist outs. I was doing daily co-washes and daily moisturizing. After a while I had to change my routine. But for the most part the daily co-washes and twistouts took me past SL.

I love daily co-washes and I do braid/twistouts sometimes. I have been slipping on keeping my hair moisturized. I am going to restart the daily baggy method and try bunning my hair. what are some good hair moisturizers for extremely dry hair? My hair is going to be in a bun at least 4-5 times a week so the moisturizer does not have to be light.

Thanks ladies

You MUST keep yur hair up and off the shoulders. I wore buns and French rolls constantly. Pay special attention to your ends by keeping them moisturized.

You MUST keep yur hair up and off the shoulders. I wore buns and French rolls constantly. Pay special attention to your ends by keeping them moisturized.

ITA with this! I was a few inches past shoulder length for many years and what made the difference for me after joining LHCF was preventing my already dry ends from rubbing up against my clothes and losing even more moisture. The key for retaining my length was keeping my hair up and moisturized so that it didn't have any excuses to break off! HTH :grin:

Hey nicki6

keeping hair up is important huh? thanks for the great advice.

ITA with this! I was a few inches past shoulder length for many years and what made the difference for me after joining LHCF was preventing my already dry ends from rubbing up against my clothes and losing even more moisture. The key for retaining my length was keeping my hair up and moisturized so that it didn't have any excuses to break off! HTH :grin:

Thanks Diya

I am going to invest in some more hair toys and hopefully they won't break after two days of me using them.:look:

Any recommendations for good moisturizers?

I love Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in as a light moisturizer that works without weighing my hair down. I use this on dry hair and it's lovely... keeps my hair so silky and bouncy, I'm tempted to wear it down... but I don't :lachen: If I'm airdrying, I need something a little more heavy duty... so I usually moisturize with Avocado Butter :lick:

I love Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in as a light moisturizer that works without weighing my hair down. I use this on dry hair and it's lovely... keeps my hair so silky and bouncy, I'm tempted to wear it down... but I don't :lachen: If I'm airdrying, I need something a little more heavy duty... so I usually moisturize with Avocado Butter :lick:

Thanks

I have tried NTM leave in and I did not care for it at all. I prefer something a little heavy because my hair is so dry and I will be wearing it up a lot so it can be weighed down (with moisture).

Thanks

I have tried NTM leave in and I did not care for it at all. I prefer something a little heavy because my hair is so dry and I will be wearing it up a lot so it can be weighed down (with moisture).

No problem... in this case, I think you'll love avocado butter! I'm about to break mine back out as the weather gets colder :yep: Hope it works out for ya!

I wore my hair like Oprah used to, I would bump my ends under with a low-heat curling iron or rollers because it ANNOYED THE HECK OUT OF ME whenever my ends would brush my neck/shoulders. I didn't even associate it with growth, I just got tired of my hair rubbing me the wrong way and curled it to make it stop. Of course after a while I noticed my style looked different- it was still long and went past my shoulders. Thats when I started wearing my ends straight to show off cause I realized I was past shoulder length. Thats when breakage ensued... cause I got greedy w/ straighteners and burned my ends until they split :nono:

So (why do I type so much?)... you might be stuck at shoulder length because you're not babying your ends. I got past it from curling them under, but I should have started protective styling, etc. if I wanted to keep them, which is what I am doing now. Just don't let your hair touch your shoulders while you are shoulder length. Your hair IS growing, you just won't retain it if your hair is rubbing off on your clothes. After about 6 months or so after reaching shoulder length (and keeping your hair off your shoulders) you should be a few inches (typically 3 if you have average growth) past shoulder length, and it should be fine after that but you should still protect the ends when you can. I think thats the reason my ends were gone, is because Im past SL but I didn't protect them until now. I expect to be APL this year now that I know better.

Buns, braids, and more buns and braids:yep:...Keeping my hair in protective styles and weekly DC were keys to getting past shoulder.

Last edited:

I definitely think this is the key. I'm dancing with APL now and my hair is growing great...wearing the protective styles and roller setting are really helping my hair grow.... and protecting the ends by moisturizing and sealing:yep: regularly.

I moisturized my ends and wore a peacock twist daily.

What's a peacock twist?

I'm at shoulder length now and I'm trying to get over the hump. I don't really do protective styles :look: so I've been planning on wearing my wash-n-go (my hair shrinks up above my shoulders) or rollersetting on smaller rollers and wearing it curly (once again, my hair shrinks up above my shoulders).

This is my game plan for now. I've have to report back to let you know how it goes.

i'm also at shoulder length
i'm trying the baggying route
and see if that does me good
as far as helping me go past that.

i've baggied before
but i was never consistent enough with it
so, i'm testing it out these next few months
and by christmas - we'll see how good it did me!
plus i figure the winter months are coming
i could use the extra moisture anyway.

Equal protein and moisturizing, wearing updos, keeping my scarf on when around the house, not just at bedtime. I would have loved to baggy and bun, but my hair doesn't respond well to that. Good luck.

I stretched for a few months and I think that sent me over the edge (shoulder length) IIRC. Prior to that I just kept pampering my hair until it grew.

Thanks ladies for all the good advice. Some of you were saying braids got you past SL, do you mean braids with added hair (ie micro braids or french braids etc)? I also see that a lot of ladies wear roller sets, how is that protective if your hair is still rubbing your clothes? I love roller sets nowadays but I don't wear them often because I didn't consider them to be "protective". If I can wear roller sets everyday I will (maybe I should wait until I'm past SL:look: ).

sweetcoco

Thanks ladies for all the good advice. Some of you were saying braids got you past SL, do you mean braids with added hair (ie micro braids or french braids etc)? I also see that a lot of ladies wear roller sets, how is that protective if your hair is still rubbing your clothes? I love roller sets nowadays but I don't wear them often because I didn't consider them to be "protective". If I can wear roller sets everyday I will (maybe I should wait until I'm past SL:look: ).

sweetcoco

Rollersetting, or in my specific case-smaller, tighter rollersetting keeps your hair up and off of your shoulders/clothes. My hair is past my shoulders but you'd never know it looking at it now. I use the medium curly perm rods and my hair is right underneath my ears(curled). When I do the braid outs, I also curl the braids under with the same rods and it makes my hair hang right underneath my ears.

Stretch relaxer to 12 weeks
Deep condition once a week
Bun 95% of the time

Same regimen I will use to get to BSL & MBL :grin:

Thanks ladies for all the good advice. Some of you were saying braids got you past SL, do you mean braids with added hair (ie micro braids or french braids etc)?

I used braids that were a little smaller than a pencil (but not micros; too damaging imo) with extensions.

You should definitely moisturise and do protective styling like 99 % of the time. Bunning and baggying got me from SL (August 2006) to APL and loose braiding worked to get me past APL. But it is also important to find a good regimen that involves regular DCs w/heat and stick to it consistently. Two years ago I never did any of this and I was stuck at SL for ages with lots of breaking hair. My BF used to ask me if I was ill because there was so much hair on me and on the floor:nono:.

ITA
that's the "trick" to it, that and moisterizing, co-washes really help get daily moisture and id you seal it witgh an oil or butter even better.
I used Frecnch twist and braids to get past that hump, my hair almost never touched anything.

Hey nicki6

keeping hair up is important huh? thanks for the great advice.

yes yes and yes, I wore those half wigs/falls for a while. I washed my hair one day and saw how much length I had retained, searched the net, came here and the rest is history. I would get to SL or maybe a few inches past and lose it over the winter (scarves, coats, etc).

Back