Calling All Bible Knowers: Tying Together 1 John 5 and 1 Samuel 1

loolalooh

I thought I understood the bolded part of 1 John 5, but I don't think I do anymore. I'm confused. I'm trying to understand it in relation to Hannah's prayer (and other prayers we might send up). I guess I'm trying to understand Hannah's prayer itself ... as well:

1 John 5:14-15

14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

So, in short, the Lord will grant us anything we ask according to His will. The key is ... according to His will.

1 Samuel 1

5 But to Hannah he gave a double portion because he loved her, and the Lord had closed her womb. 6 Because the Lord had closed Hannah’s womb, her rival kept provoking her in order to irritate her. 7 This went on year after year. Whenever Hannah went up to the house of the Lord, her rival provoked her till she wept and would not eat. 8 Her husband Elkanah would say to her, “Hannah, why are you weeping? Why don’t you eat? Why are you downhearted? Don’t I mean more to you than ten sons?”

9 Once when they had finished eating and drinking in Shiloh, Hannah stood up. Now Eli the priest was sitting on his chair by the doorpost of the Lord’s house. 10 In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly. 11 And she made a vow, saying, “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.”

19 Early the next morning they arose and worshiped before the Lord and then went back to their home at Ramah. Elkanah made love to his wife Hannah, and the Lord remembered her. 20 So in the course of time Hannah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, saying, “Because I asked the Lord for him.”

So here are my questions:
(I don't know if these questions are even answerable, but I'll ask anyway):
1. Did Hannah's prayer change the Lord's mind about keeping her womb closed or was it the Lord's plan all along to eventually open her womb? (I'm assume someone will refer to Scripture concerning the Lord never changing ... please quote as I don't know exactly where it is. Also please explain in more detail. Thanks.)
2. If Hannah had not prayed, would she still have gotten pregnant? In relation to our lives today, is it possible that we are not receiving certain things because we are not praying for them? (I've heard the latter from preachers' mouths but I haven't studied/verified it biblically. Can someone provide Scripture?)
3. So, could it be that even though it is the Lord's will for us to have something, we may not receive it if we do not pray for it? Explain.
4. What is meant by "His will"? I mean, I understand (or at least, I think I do), the basic definition, but is it safe to say that anything that glorifies God is His will? For example, if I'm homeless and pray for a mansion and know in my heart that those around me will see God's glory in it ("Oh, God has done a miracle for Loolalooh. God is amazing."), will I receive the mansion? (Lame example, but hopefully you get my point.)
5. What does it mean to pray "according to His will"? To not care about the outcome, because that's the way I sometimes see it expressed. But Hannah, cared about the outcome, yes? She would've continued being depressed had it not been for the assurance that her request would be granted, no? Or does praying "according to His will" mean something else? (E.g., praying according to His plan, etc.). And what happens when you don't know His will? Did Hannah know His will for her? Or was she seeking to change His mind (with a vow)? (Which brings me back to #1.)
6. Do vows ever have a place in our prayers? Explain. Can vows be a way to assure us an affirmative answer to our request (e.g., Hannah's prayer). Explain.

Thanks in advance.

Hey sis! :hiya: You hair looks amazing! Ok back to the thread :look:

My answers in red....

Just for clarification my answers on only based on what I believe and what I have seen in other instances in scripture, speculation I guess you can say. I can't say what was in the mind of God per say..but I will answer these questions as clearly as I can

So here are my questions:
(I don't know if these questions are even answerable, but I'll ask anyway):
1. Did Hannah's prayer change the Lord's mind about keeping her womb closed or was it the Lord's plan all along to eventually open her womb? (I'm assume someone will refer to Scripture concerning the Lord never changing ... please quote as I don't know exactly where it is. Also please explain in more detail. Thanks.)

The bible said the Hannah was a handmaiden of the Lord. This woman had favor with God. She was a woman of God. She had a relationship. We must know that sincerity of heart moves God. She wasn't asking for a child for her own selfish reasons but she was going to give this child back right back to God. Hezekiah was suppose to die. God sent a prophet to tell Hezekiah to get his house in order because he was about to die. But Hezekeiah told God "Remember me". Hezekiah had something good to be remembered by. He had favor with God. Can I say that it was God plan for all this to happen for the word of God to be reversed. I don't know. But what I will say is that Hannah and Hezekiah was in a position for God to move for them. People want to ask God for things but have done nothing to receive these things. Yea,I know it's not by works, but a preacher once told me...Have you made in deposits in your spiritual bank account to be able to withdraw? Girl this really stuck with me. What treasures have we been storing up. You know when you was a child and you wanted to outside and play and your mama go "you cleaned your room, you did your chores"? You know if you had not, you better not even fix your lips to ask :lol:. God is more concerned about our souls than these earthly things. He does not mind blessing us with them, but do we have our house in order to receieve them.

2. If Hannah had not prayed, would she still have gotten pregnant? In relation to our lives today, is it possible that we are not receiving certain things because we are not praying for them? (I've heard the latter from preachers' mouths but I haven't studied/verified it biblically. Can someone provide Scripture?)

I can't answer the first question. But I think alot of us don't get what we want because we are asking for the wrong reasons.

James 4 :3(Amplified Version)..

3 [Or] you do ask [God for them] and yet fail to receive, because you ask with wrong purpose and evil, selfish motives. Your intention is [when you get what you desire] to spend it in sensual pleasures

3. So, could it be that even though it is the Lord's will for us to have something, we may not receive it if we do not pray for it? Explain.
The bible says Your Father know what you have need of before you even ask it. I did not ask for salvation but He gave it to me. I was in the world acting a plum fool, God not even on my mind. But the bible says no man can come to God, unless God draws him. God drew me when I had no desire for them. Because He knew I needed Him, even though I never asked for Him. (Girl I feel like shouting :look:) You have to see God as your Father, that is what He is. You are His child. If you had a daughter, you as a parent knows what she needs. No kids say "Hey mama, I think it's time for yearly shots, can you set my appoinment ?" Nost kids are worrying about kids things, but their parents already know what that child needs. Kids don't be worrying about if the light bill going to get paid :lol:. Why? Because they know that that is the paren'ts responsibility to take care of them. It is God's responsiblity to take care and provide for you . You are His child. Jesus told the disciples "Take no thought for what you should eat or wear". It's not saying don't think about, it means don't be stressed and overly concerned about this..

4. What is meant by "His will"? I mean, I understand (or at least, I think I do), the basic definition, but is it safe to say that anything that glorifies God is His will? For example, if I'm homeless and pray for a mansion and know in my heart that those around me will see God's glory in it ("Oh, God has done a miracle for Loolalooh. God is amazing."), will I receive the mansion? (Lame example, but hopefully you get my point.) We must understand that His ways are not our ways. People get the wrong perception of what God's glory is. We always equate the glory of God to "good" things. Someone having cancer may the will of God, and he wants to use that sitaution for is His glory. All glory is , is honor and praise. You will only receive from God what HE sees will benefit you . Everyone else around you may feel like if you got a mansion God would be glorified but God know if you get that mansion you would forget about Him :lol:(Just an example) So God is not influenced by how others think He should "move". He got this. You may think that if you got married right now, God would be glorified. But God know if you got married right now, you would backslide and forget about Him (Just another example). Jesus did not pick how God would get the glory. God set the assignment and Jesus followed it out. We have to be careful how we perceieve the glory of God. Someone may think that them traveling the world to preach the gospel is the will of God for there life because THEY feel God would be glorified, but we must seek the face of God to see what is HIS plan for our live. We can't assume in this. It's too serious. You spending time doing things that you think is good. Always remember that good doesn't not mean it's God.Good intentions does not make it right. The man in the bible got killed for this. God had only ordained certain ones to touch the ark. Well the ark was falling, so he thought he was doing a good thing by reaching out to get it. God killed him. WHy? because God had set in order who was to touch the ark.

5. What does it mean to pray "according to His will"? To not care about the outcome, because that's the way I sometimes see it expressed. But Hannah, cared about the outcome, yes? She would've continued being depressed had it not been for the assurance that her request would be granted, no? Or does praying "according to His will" mean something else? (E.g., praying according to His plan, etc.). And what happens when you don't know His will? Did Hannah know His will for her? Or was she seeking to change His mind (with a vow)? (Which brings me back to #1.) Hannah had faith. When we go into prayer we go with expectation. Yes, she was hurting, but she knew who had power. It didn't say that Hannah went to her friends crying about this. But the bible says Hannah went into the temple. She knew where her helped was. I can't say that Hannah would have continue depressed because she was a child of God. We may be oppressed for a season, but God will bring comfort and joy eventually. Remember, weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning. We just don't know how long that night may endure for :lol:. So I know with all of my heart that if she would not have been given a child, God would have restored her joy. When you don't know what to do or His will, you do what Hannah did...pray. Hannah may not have known His specific will for her life, but she knew God would answer her.See we think that God answer is only based upon if we get what we are praying for. We feel that if we ask for a house and we didn't get it, God did not answer me. No, He did answer, you did not get it, so it must not be the time for it :lol:. That's why we can't box God in . He is too big for that. You may want your husband to be 6'4 dark chocolate brown skin. Now if the brother approaches you that is 5'4 and light skin, we go "That aint God". :lol: But God know that light skin brother will treat you like gold. We can't be limited in what we ask for. We know what we want, but God knows what we NEED.

6. Do vows ever have a place in our prayers? Explain. Can vows be a way to assure us an affirmative answer to our request (e.g., Hannah's prayer). Explain.

Only make a vow you can keep. I don't think Hannah just made a vow to get what she want. I believe this was her heart from the very beginning. That's why God was able to bless her with it because she had no evil motives behind it. But it was for God. She wasn't trying to trick God. God knows the secret intent of the heart. We can't hide nothing from God, neither can we impress Him with "vows". We are but mere flesh.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Easy answer :yep:

Prayer is communication with God. All through the Bible, those who communicated with Him received answers. God is revealed to us in prayer. Prayer establishes that we are in relationship with Him and that He is truly God in our lives.

As for Hannah, God gave her the desire of her heart, because she asked for a gift that only God could give her and not man. In return, she dedicated the gift unto the Lord for His use and glory, which is exactly what Samuel became when God called unto him as a child.

Here's the clue with Hannah... She believed God. She believed Him beyond any shadow, beyond any doubt. God gave her the desire of her heart. Why? Because she asked the Lord for her son, no one else but the Lord.

I look at Hannah's experience as one who lived in hurt and humiliation and God who is the 'lifter of our heads' (Psalm 3) blessed Hannah's broken heart.

God still does this...:yep:

Thank you, ladies!!!

Hey sis! :hiya: You hair looks amazing! Ok back to the thread :look:

My answers in red....

Just for clarification my answers on only based on what I believe and what I have seen in other instances in scripture, speculation I guess you can say. I can't say what was in the mind of God per say..but I will answer these questions as clearly as I can

Hey :wave:. (OT: And I love your puff, girl! :))

I really appreciate you breaking down each answer. You've given me some thoughts and bible references to absorb. This was a really helpful explanation and brought a lot of clarity. Thanks again, LucieLoo12!

Easy answer :yep:

Prayer is communication with God. All through the Bible, those who communicated with Him received answers. God is revealed to us in prayer. Prayer establishes that we are in relationship with Him and that He is truly God in our lives.

As for Hannah, God gave her the desire of her heart, because she asked for a gift that only God could give her and not man. In return, she dedicated the gift unto the Lord for His use and glory, which is exactly what Samuel became when God called unto him as a child.

Here's the clue with Hannah... She believed God. She believed Him beyond any shadow, beyond any doubt. God gave her the desire of her heart. Why? Because she asked the Lord for her son, no one else but the Lord.

I look at Hannah's experience as one who lived in hurt and humiliation and God who is the 'lifter of our heads' (Psalm 3) blessed Hannah's broken heart.

God still does this...:yep:

Amen to the bolded. :amen: Both of you confirm Hannah's relationship with the Lord. Very key. I really appreciate your answer. Thanks again, Shimmie!

Very interesting thread and I LOVE the story of Hannah (for obvious reasons LOL). I have heard that God has many gifts stored in Heaven that were never released into the earthly realm because we didn't ask for them. Does that mean we'll get everything we ask for? No. However, God wants us to boldly approach Him and ask for our needs and wants but always ask that His will ultimately is done.

I believe that the Lord loves obedience and surrender. God knew Hannah's womb would be opened one day but He wanted her to ask from the depths of her heart and then surrender. The Bible tells us after her bitter exchange with God, she was better and then started eating again. She had a different attitude about the whole situation. There is something to be said for wanting something desperately, but saying to God that you are unattached to the final outcome.

Another example of surrender is Mary surrendering to God's will. I get the chills whenever I read/hear "behold I am the handmaid of the Lord. Be it done to me according to Thy will." Wow! THAT is the level of surrender that I want with God! I want to be able to totally trust that He's got this. Mary was a 14 year old-ish girl who couldn't possibly know everything that God had in store for her, but she grew in wisdom in the process of the Incarnation. "My souls MAGNIFIES the Lord. . .all generations will call me blessed."

This woman has an EXCELLENT free downloadable talk/study on why "those who trust in the Lord SHALL NOT be disappointed." http://www.peggyjoyceruth.org/submitemail.html Basically the trust comes first.

Very interesting thread and I LOVE the story of Hannah (for obvious reasons LOL). I have heard that God has many gifts stored in Heaven that were never released into the earthly realm because we didn't ask for them. Does that mean we'll get everything we ask for? No. However, God wants us to boldly approach Him and ask for our needs and wants but always ask that His will ultimately is done.

I believe that the Lord loves obedience and surrender. God knew Hannah's womb would be opened one day but He wanted her to ask from the depths of her heart and then surrender. The Bible tells us after her bitter exchange with God, she was better and then started eating again. She had a different attitude about the whole situation. There is something to be said for wanting something desperately, but saying to God that you are unattached to the final outcome.

Another example of surrender is Mary surrendering to God's will. I get the chills whenever I read/hear "behold I am the handmaid of the Lord. Be it done to me according to Thy will." Wow! THAT is the level of surrender that I want with God! I want to be able to totally trust that He's got this. Mary was a 14 year old-ish girl who couldn't possibly know everything that God had in store for her, but she grew in wisdom in the process of the Incarnation. "My souls MAGNIFIES the Lord. . .all generations will call me blessed."

This woman has an EXCELLENT free downloadable talk/study on why "those who trust in the Lord SHALL NOT be disappointed." http://www.peggyjoyceruth.org/submitemail.html Basically the trust comes first.

Thank you for this, Belle Du Jour, especially the bolded. :)

Thanks again, ladies! In case anyone has more questions, I'm tacking on more answers from Watchman Nee (which I stumbled upon via a different topic altogether thanks to nicola.kirwan):

... we also want to ask: is prayer contrary to the will of God? What is the relationship between prayer and justice?

We know that God does not do anything that is contrary to His will. If it is His will to open the door, why does He have to wait until we knock before He will open? Why would He not open the door for us according to His will, without us knocking? He knows everything. If He knows that we need an open door, why will He wait until we knock before He opens? If the door should be open, if it is God's will that there is the open door, and if God knows that we need to have the door open, why does He not just open the door? Why do we have to knock? What convenience does it give to God for us to knock on the door?

We also have to ask: Since God's will is to open the door, and since it is His will to have the door open, will God not open the door if we do not knock? Will He allow His will and His justice to be delayed and not accomplished just for the sake of waiting for our prayer? Will He allow His will of opening the door to be limited by our not knocking on the door?

If this is so, then God's will is restricted by us! Is God really omnipotent? If He is, why can He not open the door independent of us? Why must He wait for us to knock before He will open the door? Will God really accomplish His will? If He will, why does the opening of the door (His will) have to be controlled by our knocking on the door (prayer)?

After we have asked these questions, we will see that prayer is indeed a great mystery. Here we can see a principle of God's work. This principle is that God's people have to pray before God will rise up to work. God's will is accomplished by the prayer of those who belong to Him. The believers' prayers accomplish God's will. God will not accomplish His will alone; He will only accomplish His will when His people are sympathetic with Him in prayer.

If this is the case, prayer is nothing but the believers' act of working together with God. Prayer is the union of the believers' will with God's will. The prayer of the believers on earth is an utterance of God's will in heaven. Prayer is not an utterance of our own wishes, a plea for God to yield to our cry and fulfill our own wishes. Prayer is not to compel God to change His will by force or ask Him to do what He does not want to do. Prayer is the believers' utterance of God's will out of their own mouth; it is the believers' request before God that He accomplish His own will.

Prayer does not change what God has ordained. Prayer never changes anything. Prayer only accomplishes what God has ordained. On the contrary, the lack of prayer and the absence of prayer changes things. When God's people do not work together with God, He will allow many of the things ordained by Him to be delayed and not be fulfilled.

Back