By Request... TUTORIAL FOR FLAT IRONING TRANSITIONING/NATURAL HAIR! [Some Pix]

vivEz daNs lamouR

Hey ladies! :wave:

Okay, so because of the overwhelming support I've received from my original thread (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=316261), I've created a tutorial for what I use and do when I blow dry and flat iron my hair.

I don't have pictures of me blow drying my hair or flat ironing because I wasn't expecting such a response, but I'll try to see if I can get one together the next time I do my hair.

Disclaimer: This is what I do for me and MY hair. What I do for ME might not necessarily work for YOU. Also, for those who you who wonder what the constant heat has done to my hair, here are some comparison shots.

APRIL 2007
28u018h.jpg

DECEMBER 2008 (Includes a 1" inch I did after not trimming my hair since April of 2007.)
259hpjb.jpg

Also, I use the Sedu Original flat iron in 1.5" that looks like this:
Sedu-Ionic-Ceramic-Tourmaline_0D49073F-all%20stars%21-yellow.jpg

So let's begin!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
A paddle brush (Picture of what I use is picture below)
Boar bristle round brush
Shea Butter (I use Nasaabs, and to make this more user friendly I microwave it for one minute so that it's liquified.)
Leave-in Conditioner (I use Lacio Lacio, prior to this I used NTM)
Biosilk
Sabino Moisture Block
Heat Protectorant (I use Paul Mitchell Heat Seal)
Blow Dryer, preferably with Ionic settings (I use some cheap Revlon brand because my previous one broke)
Flat Iron (I use and LOVE Sedu)

This is the brush I use:
1z6e89.jpg

BLOW DRYING TECHNIQUE
1. Once you finish washing your hair, part it into four sections and separate with duckbill clips. Use about a dime size amount of leave in, and shea butter (substitute this for the Sabino or Biosilk if you live in a humid area) and apply to each section of hair. Spray your heat protectorant down each section as well and comb through. I start from the back and take the blow dryer on a warm setting but on high power and run it along the shaft until the hair is a bit drier but just slightly damp. Take the brush and brush your hair while keeping the air on the section your brushing. Once it's dry, clip it back up and proceed onto the next section.

If you want your roots to be ultra straight prior to flat ironing, I would start by using the boar brush to pull the roots taut and run the blow dryer along the roots to straighten them out. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't, but because of my flat iron and technique, it doesn't make a difference in the overall outcome of my hair.

2. Once all four sections are done, turn the blow dryer on cool and run it through each section about twice. I've been told this is good for the hair, it's just become a part of my routine. I don't notice a difference when I do or don't do this.

FLAT IRON TECHNIQUE
If you're using a Sedu, I'd recommend the 320-360 setting.

1. Starting from the back, take a small section about 1/2" thick and 1" wide, and place the flat iron at the roots. I run it along the roots twice, and then once down the shaft. You should flick your wrist as you run the flat iron down the shaft if you want to create a bump. (I do but I also pincurl).

If you're using shea butter on your hair, you should only need to put the flat iron to your roots once, twice maximum. I keep the flat iron on my roots for about 3 seconds before running it smoothly down the rest of my hair. Continue to do this for each and every section until you're finished.

When you're done, it should look something like this:
25iot9w.jpg

11ac36r.jpg

Then I just pin curl my hair in six sections, which in the end turns out like this:

vpalxv.jpg

And when I take down my pin curls, it looks like this:
2dkkfh3.jpg

29lgqx0.jpg

wbb3eq.jpg

I hope this helps, again I'm sorry I didn't take pictures, at the time I didn't think it would be so requested! Next time I do this, I promise I'll try to put something more concrete together.

Last edited:
ahhh so pretty. I love it!

ok so is there a certain direction you make sure to pincurl certain sections to make sure it all falls right? Or is there any particular method to how the pincurls are placed?
thanks!

ahhh so pretty. I love it!

ok so is there a certain direction you make sure to pincurl certain sections to make sure it all falls right? Or is there any particular method to how the pincurls are placed?
thanks!

Well you can pincurl outwards or inwards, its all up to you and how you want it styled.

OR you can just do it any old way and then fingercomb it, sometimes I do this as well. :yep:

Bless you for posting this!! I love your color kissed ends... I love color!!!

I posted in another thread that I wanted to get the Sedu...they have a package with the 1.5 but my hair is kind of short...I'm thinking the 1" would be eaiser to use.

I have everything except the blowdryer and the iron, and I plan to order those tomorrow ... I'll be all set for my Christmas reveal!! :dance7:

Last edited:
Your hair is pretty! Thanks for the tutorial, I'm thinking about transitioning and flatironing was my plan. :yep:

Very pretty. I may have to purchase me a sedu again. I purchased one about a year ago and returned it.

Thanks for this tut! Do you by any chance have a pincurling tutorial? I've tried it a few times before, but it never comes out right.

Thanks for sharing and great results!
How often do you do this to your hair?

I do this every 3-4 weeks. It is my staple transitioning hairstyle until my relaxed ends grow completely out.

Thanks for this tut! Do you by any chance have a pincurling tutorial? I've tried it a few times before, but it never comes out right.

I don't have one (I don't even have a fotki), but I can try to do one and post it for you in the next coming days. :yep:

Back