But WHY does MSM do that??

inthepink

I've been reading all around about MSM just to find out as much as I can about and well, b/c I am hair obsessed which means with products, vitamins, styling options and anything else related to hair.

I've read numerous articles about how msm does increase hair and nail growth rate (even though you see so many say that NOTHING can increase growth rate - apparently there is).

But what I want to know is WHY does it make your hair grow in straighter? I don't know if this is happening for me b/c I've only been taking it since October but I am just wondering what the reason is. Is it b/c it's growing so fast that it doesn't have time to curl/wave/coil? Anyone know the REAL reason why this is?
confused.gif

Re: But WHY does it do that??

How much of MSM should one take daily? I think I need to try it then if it makes hair grows fast-because my grows slowly. I didn't know MSM could be used for hair growth everytime I looked it-it said it was for joints or something..

I think it's because black hair has the least amount of sulfur and MSM is adding sulfur internally and making the hair straighter like other types of hair that naturally has sulfur.

Sephora - Inquiring Minds want to know, really! Can you direct me to an explanation if you know of a website?

Natori - Yes, typically what you see about MSM is that it's for joints but if you read up on it you can find out that it's helpful for all sorts of things one of them being hair.

I saw an exact explanation on this board of how it works.It was quite interesting.I will try to find it for you hairlove

[ QUOTE ]
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
I think it's because black hair has the least amount of sulfur and MSM is adding sulfur internally and making the hair straighter like other types of hair that naturally has sulfur.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it true that black hair has the least amount of sulfur? That's interesting - I didn't know that. Do you have any sources about that ReaLuvsAOxymoron?

actually,

the curlier the hair, the more sulfur it has
smile.gif
It's in the amino acid cysteine which makes hair curly. You break the cysteine bond & you've just straightened the hair (this is what relaxers do)

hey supergirl good explaination....I remember that explanation in AP biology with the protein structures and the sulfide bonds and bridges...you just brought back some memories

Back