Burnt hair smell

Brownshugaz

I've noticed that whenever I flat iron or press my hair there is a distinct burnt hair smell. It's not bad, just slightly unpleasant. Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

It's funny you started this thread because this morning, after I flatironed my hair, my roomate asked me if I smelled burnt plastic. It took a while for me to realize it was my hair :blush:

That's (plus I really was burning my hair) what made me stop using direct heat. I've never owned a flat iron but I used curling irons and hot combs and oh that smell! :perplexed Your iron could be too hot or dirty as BerrySweet said...

According to my biochem prof., that smells is from sulfur bonds being broken by heat. He started talking about this when we had a lecture on amino acids. He was saying people who were caught in fires or died in fires have this smell also (the smell of sulfur).

foxybrownsugar said:
According to my biochem prof., that smells is from sulfur bonds being broken by heat. He started talking about this when we had a lecture on amino acids. He was saying people who were caught in fires or died in fires have this smell also (the smell of sulfur).

Wow, see I would have loved to be sitting in on that lecture... its quite morbid... but soooo interesting:)

ITA with the other ladies... make sure that heating appliance and your hair are clean . . . and turn down the heat!:D

I used to have this problem, but now I don't. All I use is silken seal or some silicon w/o any other product. No smell.

I used to use WGO. I loved the way my hair looked, but I got the burnt smell, as well. And it would linger. :ohwell:

I have to flatiron only after a wash with no product (other than the serum protection). I don't flatiron any other time or I get the odor.

My flat iron is new, but I think it was the heat protectant. I used IC's serum, which I don't think I'm a fan of because it's too heavy. I'm going to try the silken seal as soon as I can get to a good BSS. I think it's either that or the Oil Rich that my stylist uses and it makes my hair soooo soft.

Back