Buns and breakage

AFashionSlave

I love wearing a nylon covered sock bun for a protective style.

Today I saw a little patch of short hair where I put my ponytail holder.

Have any of you had breakage wearing buns?
What did you do to stop the breakage?
Any solutions?

I don't want to stop wearing buns, but I guess I have to.

YES! I have the same problem. I would like an answer to this question as well. For the present, I have alleviated bunning from my proctective styles.

This has happened to me and I had to start wearing my hair out as my regular style. I'm transitioning so I wanted to wear buns for an easy style but, once again, it's putting too much stress on my hair. I've tried wearing a loose bun, but my hair always comes out and I end up looking raggedy.

Nope, I've been wearing buns for years and have never had this problem. But if I ever do I'll retire the bun. Maybe something else is causing this? Try a protein and deep conditioning treatment. :)

I think the key with buns is variation. Sometimes I use an elastic, more often I use big bobby pins... I think that really keeps down the stress on my hair, that and of course, not making it too tight. I also vary the position on my head (high, med, low) and the type of bun (a regular twist, a tuck under, or a pinned chingon).

HTH!

Last edited:
AFashionSlave said:
I love wearing a nylon covered sock bun for a protective style.

Today I saw a little patch of short hair where I put my ponytail holder.

Have any of you had breakage wearing buns?
What did you do to stop the breakage?
Any solutions?

I don't want to stop wearing buns, but I guess I have to.

I have this problem too now. I've been wearing my hair down more often and only wearing a loose bun at night when I sleep, but I think it's still breaking wherever I situate my bun. I try high medium, low, but I just get breakage high, medium, and low.

brazenxvirtue said:
I think the key with buns is variation. Sometimes I use an elastic, more often I use big bobby pins... I think that really keeps down the stress on my hair, that and of course, not making it too tight. I also vary the position on my head (high, med, low) and the type of bun (a regular twist, a tuck under, or a pinned chingon).

HTH!

OK. This makes sense.
I think I'm gonna try different positions for my bun.
I'm also gonna try using a satin scrunchy for my ponytail before I put on my sock bun.

I was having this problem. It caused my hair to be much shorter in the area that I usually placed my bun. What I start doing was eliminating the scrunchie/ponytail holder altogether and just placed my hair in the hole through the sock. That area is making a lot of progress and it eliminated my breakage.

I've never had any problems bunning and I wear a bun almost every day.

I think the key is to use hair pins instead of scrunchies or ponytail holders and to never make the bun very tight. Also, changing the position on your head where you make the bun helps climate stress on any one area.

I have not experienced any breakage lately.But I combat this for both me and my 11 year old by thoroughly soaking the ponytail holder in oil before applying. Works like a charm. Keeps hair moist and pliable at the stress point.

I have not had any problems with breakage when wearing my buns either. I almost always wear a low bun and rarely move it and have no problems. I do make sure I use mini satin scrunchies to secure and that they arent securing my hair too tight.

I wrap a section of my own hair around the rest to secure a ponytail. IOW, I use my own hair as a holder or scrunchie. Then I use Amish pins to secure the bun. I used scrunchies for a long time, though and sometimes still do. I haven't had any breakage from wearing buns, but I do try to vary the way I make them and the position on my head.

Cichelle said:
I wrap a section of my own hair around the rest to secure a ponytail. IOW, I use my own hair as a holder or scrunchie.

Interesting! How do you do that? How do you stop the friction from causing any damage?

I can't wait until I can wrap my hair around my bun to secure it!! I am still going with scrunchies until then....my hair is layered to. So the scrunchies help give me a secrure stress free hold. Pins poke me in the head too much!!

i never use elastic bands, I always twist my hair into a bun and secure with bobby pins. but, i always twist in the same direction. since this causes more tension on my left side, i think it's one of the reasons I'm seeing breakage on the left. I'm going to start wearing a bun similar to the one in Serenity's baggie method album, hopefully this variation will help my sides.

brazenxvirtue said:

HTH!

I completely agree! Variation is the key. Ok now I haven't tested it myself because I had the same breakage problem, but not after about a month of straight bunning. I just can't win for losing. :ohwell:

I also use silk or satin scrunchies. I found the silk ones on tenderheaded.com. I really like them a lot. I used to use the cotton ones but they made my hair dry. I also try to change up how I bun so I don't get bored or cause breakage in an area.

I don't have enough hair that I can wrap around itself for a bun (sure can't wait for that day though!!)

-A

I vary the position of my buns. Sometimes I wear them to the side, or low in the back. I secure mine with a mini scruchie and secure with hairpins and so far so good.

joyous said:
I was having this problem. It caused my hair to be much shorter in the area that I usually placed my bun. What I start doing was eliminating the scrunchie/ponytail holder altogether and just placed my hair in the hole through the sock. That area is making a lot of progress and it eliminated my breakage.
Great idea!!!!

Yes I did experience some breakage with buns. I used the donut hole sponge and I had to be very careful about making sure my ends were well moisturized when I wrapped my hair around the sponge and make sure that the elastic band was not stressing my hair too much. All and all I cannot wear my hair in a bun each day - its too stressful and my hair grows much faster without it. I can wear a bun and wrap it with my own hair but I dont think it would look as neat and I am real anal about that type of thing...

I use these (satin scrunchies but I get mines from Wal-mart):
tenderheaded_1920_2739727.jpg

And I only tie them twice. I have been bunning for about 7 mos and no breakage from it. Maybe you bun is too tight and putting tension on that area?

LocksOfLuV said:
I use these (satin scrunchies but I get mines from Wal-mart):
tenderheaded_1920_2739727.jpg

And I only tie them twice. I have been bunning for about 7 mos and no breakage from it. Maybe you bun is too tight and putting tension on that area?

Yea. I think I'm bunning too tight.
I just brought some satin scrunchies. I'll give em a try in the morning.

The front of my hair and my sides were breaking from bunning wet and pony drying so I had to stop ...

I will bun if my hair if I decided to not wash for 2 weeks, but other than that I cant do it

AFashionSlave said:
Yea. I think I'm bunning too tight.
I just brought some satin scrunchies. I'll give em a try in the morning.

Yeah, and if you are wet bunning I would cut that out too. You can do the "too tight bun test". It's a self homemade test that I do. Once I double tie the scrunche, I move my head up and down, side to side, open the mouth, and make funny faces, lol. The point of this is if you feel any tension anywhere while doing these things you should loosen it.

Bunning caused me some breakage and caused my ends to become raggedy. It took me a while before I realized this was the problem so I ended up having to get a good trim recently to clean up my damaged ends. Now I twist my hair up and pin it with bobby pins so that my ends are out.

I wear ponytails and buns and I too notice a little breakage in my nape area due to too much tension in that area. I am going to follow the lead of KiniKakes, LocksOfLuV and other ladies on the board and just twist my hair around gently in a bun knot and secure with my Good Hair Days pins.

I just did it this morning and my hair looks nice and neat (albeight my bun is small :lol: ) and can wear my hair out in public like this without being embarrassed!

january noir said:
I wear ponytails and buns and I too notice a little breakage in my nape area due to too much tension in that area. I am going to follow the lead of KiniKakes, LocksOfLuV and other ladies on the board and just twist my hair around gently in a bun knot and secure with my Good Hair Days pins.

I just did it this morning and my hair looks nice and neat (albeight my bun is small :lol: ) and can wear my hair out in public like this without being embarrassed!
I've had to do the same thing. I had to let the bands and scrunchies go. Now I just twist my hair around. Navsegda posted this Bunning Video showing how to do it (Thanks, girl!!
hug.gif
) To make my little bun fuller, I add some braiding hair while I twist it up. I usually hold it with hair sticks. Works like a charm and the breakage has reduced a lot. :yay:

Ms Kraft said:
I've had to do the same thing. I had to let the bands and scrunchies go. Now I just twist my hair around. Navsegda posted this Bunning Video showing how to do it (Thanks, girl!!
hug.gif
) To make my little bun fuller, I add some braiding hair while I twist it up. I usually hold it with hair sticks. Works like a charm and the breakage has reduced a lot. :yay:

Hey Ms Kraft! Thanks for the Bunning Video! :up:
Great how-to video.

What I also forgot to say in my post was we all must make sure our hair is super moisturized as well especially when bunning or ponytailing! I use the Sidr Tree Butter Balm and it's great!

january noir said:
Hey Ms Kraft! Thanks for the Bunning Video! :up:
Great how-to video.

What I also forgot to say in my post was we all must make sure our hair is super moisturized as well especially when bunning or ponytailing! I use the Sidr Tree Butter Balm and it's great!

Very good point, January Noir. Gotta keep it moist! :) Here is another site floating around you might like-->Madeleie's Twisted Pages She has a lot of ideas for sticks, combs and clamps. She also has video instuctions. It's one of my top faves.

:drunk:Happy Twisting :drunk:

Ms Kraft said:
Very good point, January Noir. Gotta keep it moist! :) Here is another site floating around you might like-->Madeleie's Twisted Pages She has a lot of ideas for sticks, combs and clamps. She also has video instuctions. It's one of my top faves.

:drunk:Happy Twisting :drunk:

Oh my goodness! Ms Kraft, this is another great site! Thank you so much for sharing! My bun is the size of the lady who is modeling (Madeleie?)
You are a SWEETIE!

Back