Bun Challenge

Hey Everyone, I'm a newbie using Cathy Howse's method. Is it too late for me to join the challenge? The only thing is the top 1/3 of my hair is shorter than the rest. So when I put it in a ponytail, only the ends of the shorter section get in and I don't want the pressure to cause breakage. :nono: I don't mind bunning but does anyone know how I can bun and still protect the shorter sections of my hair as it isn't all one length? Any advice? :ohwell:

Thanx, shaniqua

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

I'm a newbie to posting... been visiting this site off & on since 2004 and in 18 month grew out shoulder-grazing layers to almost BSL, which I was pretty happy with. A relaxer left on too long by a former stylist, caused me to lose about 30-40% of my volume 14-15 mo ago. Been trying to save my length since then but, even tho' my hair continues to grow, it keeps shedding & breaking...very distressing!!! After looking at some old pics (pre-relaxer disaster) yesterday, I had almost decided to cut my now-APL hair off and just start over my friends' objections. But last night I first decided to (finally!) post a desperate request for help... and rec'd several wonderful suggestions & support from other members. I've decided to give their tips a try for 3-4 months before just jumping to a radical chop of my hair.

...All of this to say, count me in for the bun (or a maybe phony pony to switch it up) challenge for (at least) the rest of the winter. I'm gonna try the baggy method as well.

Hey Everyone, I'm a newbie using Cathy Howse's method. Is it too late for me to join the challenge? The only thing is the top 1/3 of my hair is shorter than the rest. So when I put it in a ponytail, only the ends of the shorter section get in and I don't want the pressure to cause breakage. :nono: I don't mind bunning but does anyone know how I can bun and still protect the shorter sections of my hair as it isn't all one length? Any advice? :ohwell:

Thanx, shaniqua

Welcome to the challenge. Maybe you can gel the short ends down or you might have to wait until you hair grows a little longer.

Don't chop bun, condition and baby hair for 4 months and maybe after that give yourself a trim. Also, next time keep track on how long the relaxer needs to stay on your hair so you can tell your hairdresser no longer than 5 minutes for example.

Hi ladies,

I'm a newbie to posting... been visiting this site off & on since 2004 and in 18 month grew out shoulder-grazing layers to almost BSL, which I was pretty happy with. A relaxer left on too long by a former stylist, caused me to lose about 30-40% of my volume 14-15 mo ago. Been trying to save my length since then but, even tho' my hair continues to grow, it keeps shedding & breaking...very distressing!!! After looking at some old pics (pre-relaxer disaster) yesterday, I had almost decided to cut my now-APL hair off and just start over my friends' objections. But last night I first decided to (finally!) post a desperate request for help... and rec'd several wonderful suggestions & support from other members. I've decided to give their tips a try for 3-4 months before just jumping to a radical chop of my hair.

...All of this to say, count me in for the bun (or a maybe phony pony to switch it up) challenge for (at least) the rest of the winter. I'm gonna try the baggy method as well.

How's the bun challenge going so far ladies??
I'm still bunning, mostly seven days a week :grin: unless I'm going some were.
So far so good for me!!

Bumping...:grin::grin::grin:
How is the bun challenge going ladies?????
I'm 8 weeks post relaxer right now and bunning seven days a week, I hope to see BSL with all this darn bunning when I do my touch-up in April.:yep::yep:

Bumping this thread....

How is the bun challenge going ladies?? I have slacked off bunning this past summer, have been wearing my hair down for the most part except for braidouts every now and then. I'm 4 weeks post relaxer but will start back bunning at the end of this month.

BUMP.... BUMP.... BUMP :yawn::yawn::yawn:

Using this bun challenge thread to get me through the Hide Your Hair Challenge and BSL 2008 Challenge :grin::grin::grin:.

Started back bunning about a month ago and so far so good, I have been bunning seven days a week, moisturizing daily, and deep conditioning once a week.

COME ON BSL AND MBL :Copy of 2cool:

Back