BSL by Dec 2011

Hey ladies! Haven't checked in for a while. I am close to BSL...about 1.5-2" away. Here's a pic...excuse my major back fat. :(

I hope to make BSL by the end of this challenge.

picture.php

Last edited:
I don't think I'll make it anymore due to a recent haircut. :sad:
I was close on Aug 29 when I length-checked after a relaxer...hair hitting BSL while wet, less than 1" away dry but very jagged/uneven so I got a haircut which took off 3" at least.

I doubt I can grow the 4" or so needed to be BSL in the 3 months left! :spinning:

Last edited:
Still chugging along... I should prep another bottle of sulfur miz so I can encourage more growth by the end of the year.

I'm taking down this install on friday so will do a check then and see how close I am to BSL, I'm then wigging it up so I can have better access to co-wash and moisturise

I am still in this, I have been MIA because of school hoping to relax soon maybe nxt weekend after this exam is over. See you ladies then....

Currently braided up under a sew in. Can't say how long I'm gonna keep it in though. I originally said I was gonna try and keep it for a month... Now I dunno.

My friend did it for 60 so I feel bad just letting her hard work go to waste, it's just so tight! And it looks pretty wiggy, but we'll see what happens as the weeks pass on.
47bb166f-3ffa-41a6.jpg

That's what it looks like. (sorry if the pic is big, I uploaded it from my phone.)

I just caved to another trim. My hair seems to respond well to a trim, it is getting thicker. I did a length check, and I am still SL in the front and APL in the back. The good news is ... the back is full APL.

I was able to do a pull test from a few different parts and came up with full APL. Don't know if I need 2 or three more inches to be grazing BSL. Thinking I may do a blow out at the end of the month so I can get a better idea.

I feel like I'm making pretty good progress. I'm still hiding my hair 5/7 days a week and using my sulfur mix. I am hoping I can at least get to the top of my bra strap by the end of december.

These pics are 5 weeks apart (first pic taken 8/29/11 and second pic taken 10/1/11)

COMPARISON.png

So disappointed in myself this year. I still haven't updated my sig! I probably dced only 5 or 6 times so far, after I hit APL my healthy hair practices went out the window. If I get my act together, I might hit full APL, but my raggedy ends keep snapping and popping off.

BSL 2012, here I come!

So disappointed in myself this year. I still haven't updated my sig! I probably dced only 5 or 6 times so far, after I hit APL my healthy hair practices went out the window. If I get my act together, I might hit full APL, but my raggedy ends keep snapping and popping off.

BSL 2012, here I come!

This is me to a T. You would think I didn't know better.....:sad:

Thinking about making my own curly wig! Saw some youtube vids - particularly hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRF1IhPL4Q - on how to make one and was super impressed with the results. I'll have to remove my braids, first (during Thanksgiving weekend). I plan on making several over the course of my transition (each similar to each other to varying degrees) and so that way I can wig it until my transition is over. 3 years, hurry up already!

So I was told that I am APL, I wanted to join this challenge.
I wash and set once and at that time I DC with protein cond or moisturizer.
I don't do too much of PS although I am getting a weave soon. Here are my current length ck
aefec41b-41f8-c5c8.jpg
aefec41b-4184-b353.jpg

So I was told that I am APL, I wanted to join this challenge.
I wash and set once and at that time I DC with protein cond or moisturizer.
I don't do too much of PS although I am getting a weave soon. Here are my current length ck
aefec41b-41f8-c5c8.jpg
aefec41b-4184-b353.jpg

PrettyinPink001

I think it may be best to join the BSL 2012 challenge as well. This one ends at the end of the year.

I currently have this weave in. It's been in for a week, but I dunno if I'll keep it for the entire month.

It itches and although I try not to scratch my scalp, but OhEmGee! We'll see how long I'll keep it sewn in. I'll still keep the beehive braids to wear my wig, but we'll see.

The suspense is getting to me, I wonder if I will make BSL by December 31? I want to do a blow out and see if I have a chance, but I am going to be strong and wait. Ooo it would be so nice to whip my brand new BSL for New Years Eve. :hula::kiss3:

So what is everyone doing when they hit BSL to celebrate? Or what did you did you do when you hit BSL to celebrate?

I am going to splurge on hair styling tools. As soon as I reach BSL I am going to start purchasing my home salon. All in all I want to get a flat iron, steamer, expensive blow dryer, and Hard hat dryer. But I am thinking I will get the professional quality steamer as my self gift for reaching BSL, and I am having an unveiling and length check party with a long hair cake. Humm, maybe I will ask people to give me their used hair tools that they aren't using as gifts :mwahahafire:

Do you think BSL is really long hair?

I think BSL is really really oh my God long hair, I really didn't think it was possible for African American's with kinky hair so my mind is blown, and I am happy about it. I am so excited and can't wait to get there.

So what is everyone doing when they hit BSL to celebrate? Or what did you did you do when you hit BSL to celebrate?

I am going to splurge on hair styling tools. As soon as I reach BSL I am going to start purchasing my home salon. All in all I want to get a flat iron, steamer, expensive blow dryer, and Hard hat dryer. But I am thinking I will get the professional quality steamer as my self gift for reaching BSL, and I am having an unveiling and length check party with a long hair cake. Humm, maybe I will ask people to give me their used hair tools that they aren't using as gifts :mwahahafire:

I think BSL is really really oh my God long hair, I really didn't think it was possible for African American's with kinky hair so my mind is blown, and I am happy about it. I am so excited and can't wait to get there.

Hahaha.... :lol: It's silly (in a good way).

Thinking about making my own curly wig! Saw some youtube vids - particularly hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRF1IhPL4Q - on how to make one and was super impressed with the results. I'll have to remove my braids, first (during Thanksgiving weekend). I plan on making several over the course of my transition (each similar to each other to varying degrees) and so that way I can wig it until my transition is over. 3 years, hurry up already!

I want to do this too!!! I keep seeing all of these cute hand-made curly half-wigs!!!

Seamonster - I love your plans!!!!

As for me, when I hit full BSL I am going to have a professional photoshoot done. I am also on a weight loss journey so I suspect that full BSL (with nice healthy ends) and reaching my weight loss goal will happen about the same time.

Yes, I think BSL is LONGGGGG hair. I do have hairorexia when I am on this board but always in real life BSL is long hair. I half-way feel like I have long hair IRL now and I'm no where near a full BSL. I'm hoping that by the end of 2012 I will be BSL with even my sides touching my bra strap or very close to it. I have always looked at hair that length as being extremely long. Honestly when I've seen Black women IRL with HL/TBL hair, I've thought that they were freaks of nature and should cut some of the length to make it more stylish. Only since joining this board have I looked at it favorably. WL is probably the longest length that I can actually appreciate! Beyond that I think its too much hair! :lachen:

Ya'll I had a bad hair thought the other day. I was actually considering cutting my hair off. I had a moment. My daughters looked at me like I was crazy and reminded me that I promised them I wouldn't cut my hair again.

My plans IF I hit it by the end of the year is to take my graduation pictures wearing my own hair (seems crazy huh) why wouldn't I want long hair in my pictures, but I believe that BSL well be long hair to me plus my hair is thick!!

I personally believe that BSL is long hair (not on this site) but in person it looks really good. I'm probably only get to mid back length altogether and I'd be fine with that.

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

My hair has reached BSL but I wont claim it until I hit the bottom of the strap....I have a ways to go with this 3 clasp DD bra.

I am sooooo with you. I posted my pic a few pages back and was told I am bsl already b/c i wear my strap low. I am a DD too, so I feel you on the 3 hooks. lol

When I reach BSL I want to whip it. Probably go out somewhere real nice. I feel BSL is long even on this site. Its just that so many people are going for even longer lengths. I used to think BSL was the ultimate but now I at least want MBL possibly WL. So, it never ends.

I won't be doing any major celebrating if I hit BSL this year. When I cut my hair to neck length before law school (not a BC), I made a goal to hit MBL by the time I graduated from law school in May 2012. I seem to be right on track. No one at the law school, not even my boyfriend, has seen my hair straight. My major unveiling will be at my law school graduation . . .hopefully with MBL hair (fingers crossed).

Checking in.
I did a length check today, and I think I am finally BSL.

october2011lengthcr-vi.jpg

My ends still need alot of work though, so I don't think I'll be celebrating anything just yet. :ohwell:

I don't have anything special in mind but I will definitely wear my own hair for my grad school commencement since I wore a wig for my undergrad commencement. Depending on where I'm at on Christmas this year, I'll be taking a lot of pics for that too :grin:

I do think BSL is really long hair IRL (my fam & friends already think my hair is long and I'm just past APL). However in LHCF land, I will still have hair anorexia. :yep:

Back