BSL 2013 Challenge

Checking in...it seems I'm not the only one who's tired of my kinky twists. My SO has commented what feels like a million times that I've had the same style for sooooo long and when am I going to change it smh.

Same here. The last time I had a sew-in I itched like crazy and my edges thinned some but I'm sure it was the installation. I want to hide my hair during the final weeks of my stretches but I'm just to scared.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Girl! I was considering a sew-in and saw a chic document her pregnancy with them...she now has 3 bald patches...no no no. I can't even imagine. Braid extensions work well for me so I hope to get my hair braided again in March.

i'm glad i am not alone. i haven't had a lot of good experience with those things. my hair responded better when it was just my hair i had to deal with. my hair is very fine, my hairline is super fine. i can't take the chance on weave or thread cutting into my hair causing breakage and split ends, and i can't take the risk of my hairline being damaged.

I'm in! I'm currently at APL, thick with blunt even ends (fresh trim) and I'm 3.75" away from BSL. What I have been doing is hiding my hair with weaves and it's been working.
The last install I had, I kept it in for 14 weeks and I has TONS of NG. I want to make it to BSL but what I think I may do is shoot for 2 month install/2" of NG which isn't hard for me to do, especially if I take my vitamins. 3 months, 3 in" just seems too risky if I want to make sure I retain every cm, lol.

My only issue is that I like to relax every 3 months..

my hair loves cowashing. i had no idea. i cowashed Tuesday night after wearing a rod set from Sunday night. my hair feels so moisturized & soft. omg.

i plan to do a protein treatment tonight & then try my hand at rollersetting :look: ahhhh

Okay so wash day is complete and the verdict on the Silicon Mix is....I LOVE IT!!!

I have never been able to detangle my hair so easily before with any product I've used. I left it on for about an hour,detangled in 4 sections (and split each section in 2-3 pieces) and twisted before rinsing out in the shower. Good Lord the slip is amazing!!!

Only downside...that damn smell!!!

Okay so wash day is complete and the verdict on the Silicon Mix is....I LOVE IT!!!

I have never been able to detangle my hair so easily before with any product I've used. I left it on for about an hour,detangled in 4 sections (and split each section in 2-3 pieces) and twisted before rinsing out in the shower. Good Lord the slip is amazing!!!

Only downside...that damn smell!!!

What does it smell like?

Girl! I was considering a sew-in and saw a chic document her pregnancy with them...she now has 3 bald patches...no no no. I can't even imagine. Braid extensions work well for me so I hope to get my hair braided again in March.

Uh oh!!! Never mind!!! I can't risk a bald patch! No sew in for me. I will just get a wig.

I got my hair braided up for wigging. Will not see the
Light for the next 3-4 weeks. Then back up again. I am going to wig it until March, then again until May. Will make other choices further down the road.

I have a few events to make pretty for:

Banquet- February
Hair Show - May
Retirement party - July

So I need to think outside the box!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

I got my hair braided up for wigging. Will not see the
Light for the next 3-4 weeks. Then back up again. I am going to wig it until March, then again until May. Will make other choices further down the road.

I have a few events to make pretty for:

Banquet- February
Hair Show - May
Retirement party - July

So I need to think outside the box!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

So do you not want to wear wigs to these events???

jprayze I don't mind for the banquet, because that is in two weeks. For the others definitely want to style my own hair. I am thinking for the retirement party curlformers and an up do.

These cornrows are making me really lazy, I think I need to cowash after I hit the gym and moisturize and baggy. That is all.

Oh, I am fighting the urge every other day to just take these down and relax/texlax...it's just a phase, I know, but man when does the hair hiding end?!?!?!?! OK, I'm done with that, time to go to the gym and take my hair frustrations out on my fat LOL

Have a Happy Sunday!

shortdub78 are you talking about for your delivery... I'm still trying to figure that out as since I don't do braids or weaves/wigs... My daughter came early so my hair was out, no scarf or anything and it was fine but now I'm transitioning =\

baddison, I love the color! I can't wait until my color grows out so I can dye my hair jet black

Last edited:
My only issue is that I like to relax every 3 months..

FemmeFatale How about bun/twist or whatever for the first month post
relaxer and then installing a weave for the two months before you relax again?

These cornrows are making me really lazy, I think I need to cowash after I hit the gym and moisturize and baggy. That is all.

Oh, I am fighting the urge every other day to just take these down and relax/texlax...it's just a phase, I know, but man when does the hair hiding end?!?!?!?! OK, I'm done with that, time to go to the gym and take my hair frustrations out on my fat LOL

itsjusthair88 Girl, you need to get your money's worth out of those rows! Be strong and hang on in there, like you said it's just a phase :yep:

Wash day today, currently air-drying in a braided bun, will soon be tying it up with my silk scarf.

I'm currently 8 weeks post, I'm supposed to be getting my next relaxer on the 30th March at 17 weeks post. My trip to Africa at the beginning of February has been postponed to either the beginning of March or the 3rd week in March, it looks like like I'm going to have to cut my stretch short unless I'm gonna rock up there looking like I've been dragged through a duck's a$$!

I've got a question for you ladies. Am I missing out by not doing " true DCs"? I use AOHSR on dry hair before I wash and then use my rinse out conditioner. I love doing it this way because I only have to get in the shower once, and I am laaazy, but I wonder if I'm missing out because I don't use heat and I do it on dry, dirty hair. Am I even really DCing? Why do y'all think?

I've got a question for you ladies. Am I missing out by not doing " true DCs"? I use AOHSR on dry hair before I wash and then use my rinse out conditioner. I love doing it this way because I only have to get in the shower once, and I am laaazy, but I wonder if I'm missing out because I don't use heat and I do it on dry, dirty hair. Am I even really DCing? Why do y'all think?

A lot of ladies DC on dry hair prior to shampooing. How long are you leaving it on for?

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Im trying to play catch up someone asked where I got the hair to do my havana twists from, Im on my laptop and Im being lazy to look back at who sowry :( , I used hair from fingercomber.com but Ive seen alot of ladies on Instagram use Marly braid hair, or puffy afro bulk hair to get this same type of look, I think spending money on the fingercomber hair was a waste it was just as rough as marley braid but you would prob have to use more Marly hair to get this look I used 3.5 packs of the fingercomber hair it was 12.99

Your hair looks gorgeous, you must be doing lots right!
I too hate jumping in/out of the shower but I just feel like the dc may penetrate better on clean hair (it doesn't help that i'mheavy handed with products)

shortdub78 are you talking about for your delivery... I'm still trying to figure that out as since I don't do braids or weaves/wigs... My daughter came early so my hair was out, no scarf or anything and it was fine but now I'm transitioning =\

yes i am. i will be in the hospital for 4 days. then i will be recovering. i won't phyiscally be able to get in and out of the shower, washing, cowashing, deep conditioning, sitting under a dryer, finger detangling etc, with stitches, a newborn and two rugrats. when i had my son, i kept a scarf on my head for a month. when i had my daughter, i got my hair cornrowed and didn't have to worry about my hair. plus, my hair was much shorter with both. i'm not having a natural delivery. i am not trying to look busted this time around. i'm vain as hell, this is my last child and i want some pictures that i won't be ashamed of! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

it didn't work for me. my hair needed to be cleansed beforehand, and my hair didn't feel very hydrated and soft afterward. it's like i deep conditioned just to wash it out again. i shampooed away my deep conditioning session. i tried to do that so i wouldn't have to keep getting in and out of the shower. my hair tangles when i wash it in the sink.

GettingKinky could you not use heat on your hair before you get into the shower? i.e. Apply DC to dry hair, put on a plastic shower cap, get under a steamer/hood dryer/use a blow dryer and then go and rinse/wash

A lot of ladies DC on dry hair prior to shampooing. How long are you leaving it on for?

I leave it on from 15 minutes to many hours depending on what I'm doing.

Your hair looks gorgeous, you must be doing lots right!
I too hate jumping in/out of the shower but I just feel like the dc may penetrate better on clean hair (it doesn't help that i'mheavy handed with products)

Thanks Sholapie that's so sweet. :spinning::drunk:

it didn't work for me. my hair needed to be cleansed beforehand, and my hair didn't feel very hydrated and soft afterward. it's like i deep conditioned just to wash it out again. i shampooed away my deep conditioning session. i tried to do that so i wouldn't have to keep getting in and out of the shower. my hair tangles when i wash it in the sink.

I know what you mean about washing out the DC. I'm just so lazy.

GettingKinky could you not use heat on your hair before you get into the shower? i.e. Apply DC to dry hair, put on a plastic shower cap, get under a steamer/hood dryer/use a blow dryer and then go and rinse/wash

I suppose I could use a blow dryer that's a lot easier than lugging out my hood dryer. I think I'll try this next week when I DC.

You guys are awesome! I love this challenge.

so rollersetting isn't a thing for me. i'll try again in a few weeks :lol:

i did a protein treatment w/ 1 egg, EVOO, suave humectant conditioner & argan oil. washed w/ moisturizing shampoo & conditioner. tried to set for like 45 minutes :swearing: & am currently airdrying in sections. my hair feels good though :)

I think I'm going o give my hair a break in Feb and buy the Tammy half wig I've seen people talk about on here.

Currently looking at YouTube tutorials and I really like it.

I just hope I can blend my hair with it. (My hair= cottony and frizzy lol)

Back