brought fhi iron...unable to straighten hair

makeupgirl

Hey ladies,

Ok, I finally brought a fhi flat iron. I did my regular weekly reggie, deep condition my hair, then after I washed it out, I did my leave-in cond and moisturize my hair. I used the heat protectant with both the blow dryer and the flat iron. My hair is now frizzy. It's almost like my hair did better with the flat iron when I was relaxed. I don't want to go back to perming my hair. But, I feel like I just waste $90. Did I do something wrong? Or should I just go to the dominician shop for now on? Now I understand why my friend, also natural said, she has a hard time getting her hair straighten. I need help bad. I'm just going to throw it in a ponytail and baggy the ends as normal. Good news is I'm officially SL in the back. Pics to follow of course.

What FHI did you get? Runway or g2 or what? I ask because I just got one als with the blow dryer ad am not happy with it either and will be getting my money back for it. It is the g2

What FHI did you get? Runway or g2 or what? I ask because I just got one als with the blow dryer ad am not happy with it either and will be getting my money back for it. It is the g2

Yep, it's the G2. I should have brought that chi instead. I still have the receipt, maybe I can exchange it for a chi. I saw this chi for around the same price at target where I get the fhi from.

Ugh, I'm so let down. I've been picturing my hair straighten and silky smooth all week long. What a let down.

It might be the technique. I can't blow dry my hair straight because it comes out frizzy. I can only rollerset + flatiron.

You can try flatironing smaller sections as well. I can't see your pics because I'm on TapaTalk, otherwise I'd try to help you more.

It might be the technique. I can't blow dry my hair straight because it comes out frizzy. I can only rollerset + flatiron.

You can try flatironing smaller sections as well. I can't see your pics because I'm on TapaTalk, otherwise I'd try to help you more.

Maybe I'll give rollerset a try. I hope I didn't damage my natural curls.

I agree with BostonMaria--my hair comes out best when I use very small sections--if the sections are too big, it's not as sleek it's poofier and frizzier.

Maybe you used too many products, a leave-in and a moisturizer. Does your leave-in or moisturizer have any type of humectant in them?

Can you post a pic? Did you use the comb chase method? How did you blow dry, did you use a comb attachment?

I didn't take a pic yet but my curls are straighten, it's just came out frizzy. Almost like moisture never touched my hair. I looks dry. I did use the comb attachment with the blow dry. I didn't use the comb chase method.

BTW, your hair is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Maybe you used too many products, a leave-in and a moisturizer. Does your leave-in or moisturizer have any type of humectant in them?

Maybe I did. It looked like after I blow dried it, it was nothing in my hair. It looked dry. My hair soaks up moisture quick anyway, so it was probably just me. The leave in and the moisturizer didn't have any humectant in them. The heat protectant serum I chose was from ORS.

I agree with BostonMaria--my hair comes out best when I use very small sections--if the sections are too big, it's not as sleek it's poofier and frizzier.

IAWTC. Don't be so quick to blame it on the iron, i think it might be your technique. First of all when I straighten my hair I ONLY use a heat protectant and no other leave ins or nuthin. Trust me, its not as bad as you would think. Just my silk infusion + iron guard is all I need. Next, make sure you turn the iron up to a high heat. Sadly, you need to use alotta heat to get hair silky straight. Lastly, flat iron your hair in very small sections. Be patient with it, and comb it ALOT. Im not very good at the comb chase method but I noticed if I comb my hair alot while straightening it comes out similar. Way silky & swingy. HTH

Last edited:
IAWTC. Don't be so quick to blame it on the iron, i think it might be your technique. First of all when I straighten my hair I ONLY use a heat protectant and no other leave ins or nuthin. Just my silk infusion + iron guard. Next, make sure you turn the iron up to a high heat. Sadly, you need to use alotta heat to get hair silky straight. Lastly, flat iron your hair in very small sections. Be patient with it, and comb it ALOT. Im not very good at the comb chase method but if I noticed if I comb my hair alot while straightening it comes out way silky & swingyer. HTH

Good advice. I'll give it one more shot because it's so much money that I've spent. I'll try the combing method and just try using the heat protectant only.

:sekret: Use a good heat protectant, flat iron thin sections and add the tiniest dab of crisco shortening to each section prior to ironing :sekret:
:look:

^^^^ I was going to direct the OP to the same thread. The last two weeks I have been using the method described in that thread and you would think that I have had a relaxer. Even with me not mastering the blowing part my hair has come out great and I use a cheap flat iron.

Last edited:
Great info provided ladies! OP, don't give up on the iron...I'm still working on my technique too!

I have the FHI Runway and it straightens my hair fine. I think I actually like it better than my SEDU, which costs more. My hair never gets straight with a flat iron only because I let it airdry, but when I used to blow dry, the FHI got it straight and silky.

I also believe its your technique and the products you are using. I find it better to use less products the better also flatironing in small sections is best.

Thank you ladies for your feedback and support. I think I'm going to give it another go with the flat iron and use the suggestions yall gave me. Thanks so much. I'm going to let my hair rest and redo it around Thanksgiving or in time for my company's holiday party (if I go that is). I"ll post the pics of the results.

Back