breaking point

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
ok so my hair is growing i have core products that i like i have scaled back on shampoo thinks are going great. i did a blow out and saw growth. All is well, except now i am at my "breaking point"
mad.gif
I don't ever recall having hair longer than it is now. What is/was your breaking point & How did you get past your breaking point. I was thinking of pressing and wearing a bun or braiding my hair and putting a phony bun over it with the baggy.

Well, right now, I'm trying to surpass my breaking point by keeping my strands strong and moisturized. For strength, I'm using Lotus Powder Plus and or Nuetral Henna and then I'm going to follow up with moisturizing conditioners like the Dominician Tropical Co or the Beverly Johnson Deep Conditioner. I'm also going to get a lot of my relaxed hair (I'm transitioning) cut off and split ends. So, to me, surpassing your breakage point consist of identifying the breaking cause, fix it, and keep your hair strong and moisturized.

thats my thing i don't know the cause. my ends have been great through transitioning. they are uneven but not split. I feel like i have no reason to trim when my goal is to grow my hair long. I have been moisturizing my ends and trying not to comb them too much. I rarely just wear my hair out, it is twisted, braided, or under a wig
wallbash.gif
what to do? I even airdry my hair minus my recent blowout.

I would cut down on the use of heat. For MY hair, flat ironing and blow drying was killing my strands. Also take notice of the tools (combs, brushes, styling aids, hair accesories, etc) you use.

i'm mostly a twister. i use oil or my shea butter lotion or elasta mango butter on my ends. but my diet and my vitamin intake are very very bad. i want to try collagen supplements. i only comb when i am combing through conditioner or detangling about 1x per week.

I will second the suggestion of looking at the type of combs and brushes you use. Also, diet and exercise are important.

Are you feeling stressed out? My hair SHEDS something awful whenever I get really stressed out. So - try not to worry too much over attaining length because you just might be undermining your progress.

My breaking point used to be at my shoulders when I had a relaxer. I grew it long a few times. When I had a wave nouveau, it grew to about mid-back, but then I put a relaxer over that & it all broke off. Then I went natural, and grew it to about bra-strap. Then I got a relaxer, and it broke off. All of the times I grew it long, it was by wearing protective styles like a bun, fake ponytails, wigs, and braids. I never realized that I was growing my hair, though--just wearing the easiest styles & not thinking about it.

Methinks little manipulation is key. Adrienne0914 I think once had hair that never seemed to grow. So she wore braids which she moisturized religiously and it started to grow. Then she wore fake ponies while keeping her ends in a baggie and very well moisturized. Three years or so later, she's at waist-length.

I also agree that you should cut out heat from your regimen as much as you can. Den1's regimen is on www.growafrohairlong.com website and she's grew her hair to waist-length while natural...also by manipulating it as little as possible while practicing all the right things she has learned about hair-care.

I'm going with Nonie here, my hair is by no means long, but I saw a lot more growth in the 2 months I washed once a week, twisted and left it alone, than all the other times I was trying out different cornrow patterns every few days

I think I have figured out a system that I will try to use until my birthday in mid Dec.
Trying for 3 inches more by the end of the year. (is 3"in in 5 months reasonable?)

10 steps to get beyond my usual breaking point

1. Minimize stress, adjust my reaction to stress through Prayer and Meditation
2. Find a protective style, I may try Kinky Twist Extensions
3. Fix my diet by: Drinking more water, Eating more veggies
4. Add regular exercise 3-5 days a week
5. Keep my hair moisturized with products & steam 2x per wk
6. Add vitamins to my routine and closely chart amounts
7. Conditioner washes 1-2x per wk, Clarifying wash 1x per month
8. Don't use any direct heat
9. Start scalp massages, to stimulate growth. Keep scalp healthy by keeping it clean and avoid scratching
10. Surge edges in front and hair in general to minimize breakage
***also stay consistant with each step***

Back