Breaking news: black hair is different from white hair.

nodisrespect

Hair is genetically programmed to be straight, curly or wavy, and it tends to change over time.

For many years, it was believed that the shape of a person’s hair was determined by the individual hair shafts, and that curly hair was curly because the cross-section of the hair shaft was flatter and had more intertwined layers than straight hair, which was round. But scientists have determined that whether your hair is curly or straight is determined by the shape of the follicle itself and the direction in which each strand grows out of its follicle. Curly hair is shaped like an elongated oval and grows at a sharp angle to the scalp.

Curly hair has a different biological structure from straight hair. It tends to be much drier than straight hair because the oils secreted into the hair shaft by the sebaceous glands can more easily travel down the shaft of straight hair. People with very curly hair may find that this hair type can be dry and often frizzy.

Hair, whether it is curly or straight, is affected by the amount of humidity in the air. It serves as a "truth serum" for the hair, forcing water back into the hair fiber and forcing hair shaft to return to its original structure. This may be more noticeable in somebody with curly hair because it tends to get frizzy when the humidity rises.

Hair texture variation is likely to have resulted from a significant event in human evolutionary history. Evolutionary biologists agree that the evidence suggests that genus Homo arose in East Africa approximately 2 million years ago. During this time body size increased in response to richer dietary intake. This increase was most likely a reflection of rapidly increasing brain size among members of this genus, which facilitated an increasing intellectual capacity that made more varied dietary access possible (i.e. via new hunting and scavenging techniques etc.). Jablonski et al (2004) postulate that as body size increase, it became evolutionarily necessary to expel heat from the body at a more rapid rate. As a result, humans developed the ability to sweat. They also lost body hair in order to facilitate sweat evaporation and hence cooling of the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_hair#Texture

Did you know that as much as 13% of your hair is made up of water? When your hair is dry, it loses its ability to stretch and breakage occurs more easily. Try using moisturizing shampoos and conditioners. Heat-generating hair appliances like curling irons and blow dryers, and chemical treatments (perms, dyes, bleaching agents) will cause further dryness and damage. If you use any of these devices or treatments, make sure to condition regularly by working the product along the entire hair shaft. If you're using an anti-dandruff conditioner, the technique differs because it contains a medical ingredient targeted at the scalp. In this case, thoroughly massage an adequate amount of the product into the scalp and along the hair shaft. These dual purpose conditioners will restore moisture plus tackle the flaking.

http://www.dermatologycare.ca/apr-17.html

Is anyone following my train of thought? I bolded just in case it got lost in translation somewhere. I wasn't sure whether this was common knowledge or not. I assume it is, but I figured it would be fun to post anyway.

I think it would be more accurate to say naturally CURLY hair is different than naturally STRAIGHT hair - no matter what the color of the face is under the hair. :rolleyes:

NOT VERY BREAKING NEWS for many of us, but I am sure someone here on the board might benefit from this info. :look:

Last edited:
I agree.

But, people get all sensitive with the white/black reference. Not me.

Cosign

I don't understand why people get all upset either. There are differences in hair composition through out texture and race. Our cortex size is different from "theirs" too. Why is this such a big deal?

Cosign

I don't understand why people get all upset either. There are differences in hair composition through out texture and race. Our cortex size is different from "theirs" too. Why is this such a big deal?

My guess would be there's a subconscious, implicit understanding that "different" is too close to "lesser".

Especially, when your type of "different" makes you stand out from a group of people who are different from one another, but share YOUR difference as a commonality.

For example, using hair as this is a hair forum, Asians and Europeans are "different" for a variety of reasons (let's forget we're all the same species for a moment, lol). Yet, their hair is the "same" in comparison to those of African heritage.

Leaving "us" (those of with African heritage) as the "out/different" group.

Historically our differences from others have been used to make us feel inferior.

As with other groups (Asians being told subliminally through the media that big, round, wide eyes are "better" because monolids are "different". Different from the European ideal in that case).

Unforunately, the good ol' sting of slavery has made hair a very culture sensitve example of this "different = less than" mentality.

IF you choose to accept all that, of couse.

I embrace my "difference".

...Then I slap a deep conditioner on it and leave it the heck alone...:lachen:

My guess would be there's a subconscious, implicit understanding that "different" is too close to "lesser".

Especially, when your type of "different" makes you stand out from a group of people who are different from one another, but share YOUR difference as a commonality.

For example, using hair as this is a hair forum, Asians and Europeans are "different" for a variety of reasons (let's forget we're all the same species for a moment, lol). Yet, their hair is the "same" in comparison to those of African heritage.

Historically our differences from others have been used to make us feel inferior.

As with other groups (Asians being told subliminally through the media that big, round, wide eyes are "better" because monolids are "different". Different from the European ideal in that case).

Unforunately, the good ol' sting of slavery has made hair a very culture sensitve example of this "different = less than" mentality.

...Then I slap a deep conditioner on it and leave it the heck alone
...:lachen:

:lachen: I know thats right. Just throw on some Kenra or some ORS and keep it moving. Wallowing in it isn't going to instantly change the genetic imprint of your hair so just let it be. It still doesn't mean you can reach your goals, you just might need more conditioner along the way:yep:

The OP is probably new to the boards and posted this because it was the first time she heard anything about it.
When I first learned about the scientific breakdown of AA hair. It helped me to realize that my hair wasn't hopelessly nappy, and that in reality the "naps" were just itty bitty curls that tangled very easily and need a little extra help to stay moist.

The OP is probably new to the boards and posted this because it was the first time she heard anything about it.
When I first learned about the scientific breakdown of AA hair. It helped me to realize that my hair wasn't hopelessly nappy, and that in reality the "naps" were just itty bitty curls that tangled very easily and need a little extra help to stay moist.

Me too---and i agree with the first part as well.

Excelent research on her part imo--she said she wasnt sure if it was posted before/common knowldedge or not.---

That exact explanation about why our hair is alittle different is not thrown around alot so im sure it will be really helpfull to newer people/anyone who hasnt come across it yet, infact people tend to say our hair is the same alot more so that will be good info for someone.

Original Poster---The stretching of hair/it being dry has to do with Elasticity (spell right?) if you didnt know--so thats what people are talking about when they say improving elasticity...putting more moisture into your hair so that its able to stretch more without instantly snapping/breaking.

And the first part about the oil is a reminder for me to oil my hair more, i stopped for a while but its very imporant, the oils in my moisturizers arent enough for me.

That was a good read. This is why I treat my natural hair like it's a jheri curl. I keep it saturated in oils and moisture. It is more relaxed and tangle free now because I do that. It's still nappy, but a relaxed soft, manageable, flowing nappy!:grin:

...No. I posted it because I was surprised by the amount of people in one post who did not believe black, or curlier, hair requires different care than white, or straight, hair. I thought maybe they didn't know, scientifically speaking, that curlier and kinkier hair is unarguably and genetically different in ways the require extra attention.

I'm sure most people here, if not all, believe black hair requires different hair care or they wouldn't be on this board in the first place. I think what's in question here is that "different" means "stricter" or more "intensive", which isn't necessarily true. People of other races can have strict and/or intensive hair care regimens including white people. It's not just curly or kinky hair that requires extra attention but also dry hair, thin hair, brittle hair, frizzy hair, etc, etc...which affects black or white hair. I believe in different yet simple hair care. Different as in I may put coconut oil in my hair which other races may not necessarily do but it's still a simple thing. I don't use protective hair styles, the baggy method, etc. and just don't think that it's correct to necessarily say "black" hair requires stricter or more intensive care.

In addition, I think it's more accurate to say curly hair requires different care, whether you are white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. Curly hair isn't exclusive too black people and straight hair isn't exclusive to white people as you are implying in your response.

...No. I posted it because I was surprised by the amount of people in one post who did not believe black, or curlier, hair requires different care than white, or straight, hair. I thought maybe they didn't know, scientifically speaking, that curlier and kinkier hair is unarguably and genetically different in ways the require extra attention.

I thought this was a joke. :ohwell: Like breaking news (ba-dam-bash :drumroll: ) black hair/ curly hair is different than white hair/ straight hair.:sad: I mean... they are opposites.

But brown hair is different than blonde hair, so what exactly is the case being made here?
If you expand the statement (like she later did when mentioning hair care practices) then it has more relevance IMHO.

Oooooohhhhhh. I see

I dont know not to be offensive but i think people are just alittle testy sometimes for some reason about saying most black hair requries different treatment than white hair---i just stay away from that topic :rolleyes: Like another poster said people do often think different care or something means less than or something.
I dont see anything wrong with saying black hair is different, can require more care/attention, being more carefull--but hey, each its own.

In addition, I think it's more accurate to say curly hair requires different care, whether you are white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. Curly hair isn't exclusive too black people and straight hair isn't exclusive to white people as you are implying in your response.

With all due respect bb, I'm not one for semantic word games when the fact of the matter is a large percentage of, if not all, blacks will be born with a curlier textured hair, and the large percentage of whites will be born with straight hair with no curl pattern. All this hoo ha about brown/blonde/African American/Caucasian is a pedantic distraction to draw attention away from the bigger picture.

It's awfully funny that we all want our distinctions so that we can shout from the rooftops "MY HAIR IS NOT THAT TEXTURED AND I DON'T HAVE TO DO MUCH TO CARE FOR IT" as if to separate ourselves from others that do... not you specifically, of course, my dear... yet we ignore these same distinctions in other races. Quite frankly, "white" people with curlier hair are often jewish, irish, or italian, which are not in the same classification as other pacific european races of white people. That is to say, they aren't "white" by white standards.

I thought this was a joke. :ohwell: Like breaking news (ba-dam-bash :drumroll: ) black hair/ curly hair is different than white hair/ straight hair.:sad: I mean... they are opposites.

Yeah, that is how I intended the post to come across, like ha-ha irony... but I still believe that there seem to be some people that are truly trying to deny the differences, like, let's not get into individual cases because that proves nothing. Didn't we all take a statistics course? We are talking about the mean average of a group, not random outliers - outliers prove nothing. I'm going to have to put all this tuition money to work and go around campus taking massive surveys and reporting back with box plots to better aid understanding :rolleyes:

Oooooohhhhhh. I see

I dont know not to be offensive but i think people are just alittle testy sometimes for some reason about saying most black hair requries different treatment than white hair---i just stay away from that topic :rolleyes: Like another poster said people do often think different care or something means less than or something.
I dont see anything wrong with saying black hair is different, can require more care/attention, being more carefull--but hey, each its own.

I hope no one interprets my posts as unnecessarily pointed or belligerent, because I truly am not looking to agitate. It's just, for some reason, really disappointing to me to see this board, where so many women extol the virtues of natural black hair and even scorn those that don't subscribe to their philosophy, express so much blatant denial about what a hardship drier hair is. Like, it's disappointing to me to see that side by side with such insecurity that the word "different" is distorted and taken to a negative place so much that a defense mechanism ("NO IT'S NOT!") is the only way to deal with it. On the one hand it's like, always trying to be ever closer to that flame, like taking an inordinate amount of pride in being lighter skinned, or making a point to down talk any commonly "black" hobbies or activities. And on the other, it's like, "you are trying to insult me with a totally neutral statement and my very pride and blackness is at stake" ?????? You might have an easier time of it for whatever reason - but the fact of the matter is, for most other races of people hair care is not a puzzle. Even those elusive curly haired "white" people seem to flourish with nothing more complicated than a shampoo and deep condition. I would love to see some evidence to the contrary. Maybe I did not spend enough time looking for some.

And yet, the only defense I keep seeing is "well, MY hair is not hard to care for." So maybe the rest of us are just faking it, or are idiots. It really makes me wonder why this board exists and why there is such a demand for proper knowledge on how to care for hair that people are willing to pay to post on a message board. brb, off to search for a "white" equivalent of LHCF. (I'm being sarcastic. Such a counterpart does not exist.)

(Though if I am wrong, I'd definitely love to see it.)

Last edited:
Cosign

Because for some people admitting that we're different=that we're less than. To some people anything different is negative.

I actually think that the people who take most offense to recognizing the differences between black and white hair are actually the ones who have deep-rooted inferiority complexes.

What I read in that 30 page post was just ridiculous.

...Then I slap a deep conditioner on it and leave it the heck alone...:lachen:

Well damn. Here's my point right here!:yep:

I should have read before I posted lol.

With all due respect bb, I'm not one for semantic word games when the fact of the matter is a large percentage of, if not all, blacks will be born with a curlier textured hair, and the large percentage of whites will be born with straight hair with no curl pattern. All this hoo ha about brown/blonde/African American/Caucasian is a pedantic distraction to draw attention away from the bigger picture.

It's awfully funny that we all want our distinctions so that we can shout from the rooftops "MY HAIR IS NOT THAT TEXTURED AND I DON'T HAVE TO DO MUCH TO CARE FOR IT" as if to separate ourselves from others that do... not you specifically, of course, my dear... yet we ignore these same distinctions in other races. Quite frankly, "white" people with curlier hair are often jewish, irish, or italian, which are not in the same classification as other pacific european races of white people. That is to say, they aren't "white" by white standards.

Yeah, that is how I intended the post to come across, like ha-ha irony... but I still believe that there seem to be some people that are truly trying to deny the differences, like, let's not get into individual cases because that proves nothing. Didn't we all take a statistics course? We are talking about the mean average of a group, not random outliers - outliers prove nothing. I'm going to have to put all this tuition money to work and go around campus taking massive surveys and reporting back with box plots to better aid understanding :rolleyes:

I hope no one interprets my posts as unnecessarily pointed or belligerent, because I truly am not looking to agitate. It's just, for some reason, really disappointing to me to see this board, where so many women extol the virtues of natural black hair and even scorn those that don't subscribe to their philosophy, express so much blatant denial about what a hardship drier hair is. Like, it's disappointing to me to see that side by side with such insecurity that the word "different" is distorted and taken to a negative place so much that a defense mechanism ("NO IT'S NOT!") is the only way to deal with it. On the one hand it's like, always trying to be ever closer to that flame, like taking an inordinate amount of pride in being lighter skinned, or making a point to down talk any commonly "black" hobbies or activities. And on the other, it's like, "you are trying to insult me with a totally neutral statement and my very pride and blackness is at stake" ?????? You might have an easier time of it for whatever reason - but the fact of the matter is, for most other races of people hair care is not a puzzle. Even those elusive curly haired "white" people seem to flourish with nothing more complicated than a shampoo and deep condition. I would love to see some evidence to the contrary. Maybe I did not spend enough time looking for some.

And yet, the only defense I keep seeing is "well, MY hair is not hard to care for." So maybe the rest of us are just faking it, or are idiots. It really makes me wonder why this board exists and why there is such a demand for proper knowledge on how to care for hair that people are willing to pay to post on a message board. brb, off to search for a "white" equivalent of LHCF. (I'm being sarcastic. Such a counterpart does not exist.)

I love the research you did, I was already aware, but I always appreciate info sharing.

The "white" equivalent of LHCF does exist and was online much before LHCF, I do believe (could be wrong). It's LHF or The Long Hair Forum. Something of that nature and has a predominately white audience who uses hair oils, DCs, does protective styling, etc.

Very eloquently stated points.

I am one of those folks who "doesn't have a hard time taking care of their hair". But I have a TWA and don't even demand curl definion of it. As long as it's clean, soft, and has a healthy sheen (IE a sheen because its healthy not because I put shine serum in it, lol) I'm happy. OH...and even...no one wants a lopsided TWA. :lachen:

Perhaps because I ask so little, it gives me much in return? :blush:

I think the difficulty comes in asking your hair to go farther and farther from what it naturally wishes to do. But that's another thread. :grin:

Most people in that thread did not say our hair was the same. A lot of people simply said it wasn't any more difficult. Or rather, that it didn't have to be. And I maintain that if we really let our hair do exactly what it wants to, it's not difficult. How do you know what your hair wants to do? Well, every time you do something to/with it and it's difficult or painful, that's not what your hair wants to do. It's so simple. I said it several times in the other thread but people either aren't reading it or are mis-reading it. I don't choose to let my hair do what it wants to do, therefore I have a difficult time. I'm not going to blame that on me being black and born with "difficult" hair, I'm going to blame it on me wanting something from my hair that it doesn't want to give.

And even though you say the title of this thread is not meant to antagonize, it does. It's like when someone starts off, "no offense, but . ." you know they're about to say something offensive. Making the title of the thread sarcastic is antagonistic.

Last edited:
brb, off to search for a "white" equivalent of LHCF. (I'm being sarcastic. Such a counterpart does not exist.)

Really!!! Well damn, I've been a member of a sight for years that never existed???!!!!:drunk:

:rolleyes:Really...

Most people in that thread did not say our hair was the same. A lot of people simply said it wasn't any more difficult. Or rather, that it didn't have to be. And I maintain that if we really let our hair do exactly what it wants to, it's not difficult. How do you know what your hair wants to do? Well, every time you do something to/with it and it's difficult or painful, that's not what your hair wants to do. It's so simple. I said it several times in the other thread but people either aren't reading it or are mis-reading it. I don't choose to let my hair do what it wants to do, therefore I have a difficult time. I'm not going to blame that on me being black and born with "difficult" hair, I'm going to blame it on me wanting something from my hair that it doesn't want to give.

And even though you say the title of this thread is not meant to antagonize, it does. It's like when someone starts off, "no offense, but . ." you know they're about to say something offensive. Making the title of the thread sarcastic is antagonistic.

Thank you! Right on!

I know it has already been said, but the equivalent does exist.

I hear what the OP is saying though. For what is considered 'mainstream beautiful' nowadays, it is more difficult to care for black hair. But guess what, that is only because many times the mainstream is in stark contrast to our natural hair. (That is changing though)

So in essence (much like the sentiment so eloquently stated by a previous poster), I don't 'blame' my hair. It is not difficult. Society has a difficult time portraying all types of beauty in their natural glory.

I see both sides of the argument. Yes, OF COURSE Black hair is different from White / Asian hair. I think nearly everybody on this board is aware of that, or they would be hanging out at LHF rather than LHCF.

Also, our hair *is often* difficult when we try to make it grow long while flowing straight down, instead of allowing it to grow upwards, coil, tangle, or even loc up, like it wants to do. And it's fine to choose to make it do things it doesn't do "naturally". But once you've decided to do so, you have taken on the "difficulty", so roll with it.

And yet, that difficulty should not be exaggerated. Once some people figure out what their hair needs, it can just be one or two techniques that makes their hair achieve their goals. For some people, it's going natural, using lots of natural oils and butter, and constant protective styling. For others it's being relaxed, stretching relaxers, and minimal combing. Their techniques might be different from the norm, but on a daily basis, it is no more difficult than the white girl who washes and blow dries everyday. Especially since for our hair, often the less we do to it, the better it likes it. My techique right now is to wash, DC and detangle once a week. Daily fingercomb and put my hair up in a claw clip. Takes 3 minutes. When I was natural and had my hair in twists most of the time, I would get up, finger fluff or pin up and go.

Yet, we can never lose sight of the fact that our hair is relatively extremely fragile and tangle-prone. So we have to always be careful and vigilant, and we have to do things differently. For e.g. LHF is not an exact equivalent of LHCF, because a large number of LHFs white participants want to make their already long hair grow even longer, or simply look better. While LHCF is full of black women who have never had long hair in their lives. So, yes, we're different. Duh!

Back