Breaking news: black hair is different from white hair.

My guess would be there's a subconscious, implicit understanding that "different" is too close to "lesser".

Especially, when your type of "different" makes you stand out from a group of people who are different from one another, but share YOUR difference as a commonality.

For example, using hair as this is a hair forum, Asians and Europeans are "different" for a variety of reasons (let's forget we're all the same species for a moment, lol). Yet, their hair is the "same" in comparison to those of African heritage.

Leaving "us" (those of with African heritage) as the "out/different" group.

Historically our differences from others have been used to make us feel inferior.

As with other groups (Asians being told subliminally through the media that big, round, wide eyes are "better" because monolids are "different". Different from the European ideal in that case).

Unforunately, the good ol' sting of slavery has made hair a very culture sensitve example of this "different = less than" mentality.

IF you choose to accept all that, of couse.

I embrace my "difference".

...Then I slap a deep conditioner on it and leave it the heck alone...:lachen:

co-sign with all the bold points. i don't get offended either; it is what it is. instead of being busy noting how my hair is different from white people's and thinking the difference makes it inferior, i accept it and k.i.m. black hair just has different needs and properties. for many, i think deep down that stating there are differences and that black hair has some different qualities is some kind of slap in the face. maybe it's a reality some don't want to face.

with that said, i also thought most people knew this. i would think the majority of people here, aside from maybe some of the super new newbies, knew our hair was different.

Because for some people admitting that we're different=that we're less than. To some people anything different is negative.

I actually think that the people who take most offense to recognizing the differences between black and white hair are actually the ones who have deep-rooted inferiority complexes.

What I read in that 30 page post was just ridiculous.

:yep::yep::yep:

Most people in that thread did not say our hair was the same. A lot of people simply said it wasn't any more difficult. Or rather, that it didn't have to be. And I maintain that if we really let our hair do exactly what it wants to, it's not difficult. How do you know what your hair wants to do? Well, every time you do something to/with it and it's difficult or painful, that's not what your hair wants to do. It's so simple. I said it several times in the other thread but people either aren't reading it or are mis-reading it. I don't choose to let my hair do what it wants to do, therefore I have a difficult time. I'm not going to blame that on me being black and born with "difficult" hair, I'm going to blame it on me wanting something from my hair that it doesn't want to give.

And even though you say the title of this thread is not meant to antagonize, it does. It's like when someone starts off, "no offense, but . ." you know they're about to say something offensive. Making the title of the thread sarcastic is antagonistic.

I agree with you and the others that if I let my hair do what it wants to do, it would not be difficult.

What many don't seem to understand is that ALL my hair type wants to do is loc. Yeah, I would EASILY grow hair to my butts if I loced it, but I don't want locs.

My hair wants to loc while I wash it, therefore I have to wash it in section otherwise I'll have major tangles.

It wants to loc after I wash it, so I have to hurry up and put it in some controlled style (Twist, bun, plaits, band, etc), otherwise I'll have major tangles as it dries.

It wants to loc when I am sleeping, so I have to pin/twist/plait/whatever my hair or put it in some scarf or bonnet, otherwise I'll have major tangles when I wake up.

It wants to loc whenever it is loose and exposed to the air, so I have to keep my hair in some kind of controlled protective style if I want it to keep from tangling.

If my hair tangles, it won't grow long because the tangles will prevent it from retaining length. Ergo, if I want long non-locs hair, I have to do extra things to keep it untangled. All that extra stuff I have to do is WORK. At least to me. I would even dare say that most black women have the same issues.

Hair that is less nappy does not have as much a problem with tangles, hence it is easier for less nappy hair to retain grow while loose. The straighter the hair, the easier it is for it to retain growth. That's why butt lengths straight hair women are a dime a dozen while butt lengths nappy hair women are a rarity.

I .don't. know.how. much. clearer. this. can. be. I and others have wasted enough keystrokes trying to explain that here and in other threads. If people still can't understand, oh well...maybe they don't want to. That was my last 2 cents.

Last edited:
I guess no one sees the many posts by naturals who are having difficulty with their hair.

Relaxed people, or people who "want their hair to be something it's not" are NOT the only people who have issues with their hair. If everyone's hair problems were to be solved by simply going natural, everyone would be natural. Not to mention the tons of websites and blogs dedicated to natural hair wouldn't exist since it's so "easy to manage." Let's not forget that we have a nice little chunk of naturals who also go BACK to relaxing...

Let's quit playing with ourselves. Some people have difficulty managing their hair relaxed or natural. Why is that such a taboo thing to admit? If we're all here for help, why can't anyone make a cry for help and/or release their frustration w/o being bashed for it. You guys act like you're supposed to be in love with your hair 24/7, for eternity times a billion.:look: There is nothing wrong with frustration. For it leads to research and learning how to deal with your problems.

Sometimes I don't understand this board.:nono:

I hope oneday that people on this board would walk through a airport and tell me who is black and who is white curly hair comes from around the world.
JESUS of dark skin and had curly hair.

I guess no one sees the many posts by naturals who are having difficulty with their hair.

Relaxed people, or people who "want their hair to be something it's not" are NOT the only people who have issues with their hair. If everyone's hair problems were to be solved by simply going natural, everyone would be natural. Not to mention the tons of websites and blogs dedicated to natural hair wouldn't exist since it's so "easy to manage." Let's not forget that we have a nice little chunk of naturals who also go BACK to relaxing...

Let's quit playing with ourselves. Some people have difficulty managing their hair relaxed or natural. Why is that such a taboo thing to admit? If we're all here for help, why can't anyone make a cry for help and/or release their frustration w/o being bashed for it. You guys act like you're supposed to be in love with your hair 24/7, for eternity times a billion.:look: There is nothing wrong with frustration. For it leads to research and learning how to deal with your problems.

Sometimes I don't understand this board.:nono:
I think you're misunderstanding what people are saying. It's not a natural vs. relaxed thing. Mwedzi is a natural who has OFTEN posts about the difficulty she has with her hair. So re-read her post above, and also re-read the post of Jessy55, who is also natural (I think).

I thought this thread was joke too!

Everybody's hair is different and if someone thinks their hair difficult or something then that's them and they have the right to think that since it is after all, their hair and vice versa.

I don't understand this thread or the "nappy" word one.:nono:

Also, why are we even comparing our hair to white people's? All white people aren't the same and neither are all black people so the best thing to do, in my humble opinion, would be to stop comparing your hair to other people's, we are all different. Do you and don't worry about the rest!:yep:

Just my 2 cents!

~Liyah

I'm sure most people here, if not all, believe black hair requires different hair care or they wouldn't be on this board in the first place. I think what's in question here is that "different" means "stricter" or more "intensive", which isn't necessarily true. People of other races can have strict and/or intensive hair care regimens including white people. It's not just curly or kinky hair that requires extra attention but also dry hair, thin hair, brittle hair, frizzy hair, etc, etc...which affects black or white hair. I believe in different yet simple hair care. Different as in I may put coconut oil in my hair which other races may not necessarily do but it's still a simple thing. I don't use protective hair styles, the baggy method, etc. and just don't think that it's correct to necessarily say "black" hair requires stricter or more intensive care.

In addition, I think it's more accurate to say curly hair requires different care, whether you are white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. Curly hair isn't exclusive too black people and straight hair isn't exclusive to white people as you are implying in your response.

Very sensible response. If black hair care was so labor-intensive and so unique, then why are we following the same routines as Dominicans, Indians, and other ethnicities? And... we're following them to a "T". I told you ladies before, many of the techniques we use here were originally taken from non-black friends who strict hair routines as well. Many of the older members were apart of white hair boards and they swap ideas. Why is that so hard to believe? We're not much more different that anyone else...
Sheesh! People act like black folks are Gremlins or something. At the end of the day, Susie Q and I have to put in the exact same work and do the same things if we want the same results. The approach might be different, or we might have different techniques, but if a white girl really wants long hair then she'll have to work for it just as I.

Very sensible response. If black hair care was so labor-intensive and so unique, then why are we following the same routines as Dominicans, Indians, and other ethnicities? And... we're following them to a "T". I told you ladies before, many of the techniques we use here were originally taken from non-black friends who strict hair routines as well. Many of the older members were apart of white hair boards and they swap ideas. Why is that so hard to believe? We're not much more different that anyone else...

Oh no...
Sheesh! People act like black folks are Gremlins or something.

OH NO.... :nono::nono:

At the end of the day, Susie Q and I have to put in the exact same work and do the same things if we want the same results.

Ohhhh... no...

The approach might be different, or we might have different techniques, but if a white girl really wants long hair then she'll have to work for it just as I.

LORD JESUS :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I hope oneday that people on this board would walk through a airport and tell me who is black and who is white curly hair comes from around the world.

Hairmaster, please!.... Teach the chi'rens. You're a hairstylist, can you please enlighten us on how much of a difference you've found between the two race's hair.

I think you're the only person who can settle this.

I'm having too much FUN reading the responces to teach ...
The one thing I like about hair is no two are the same. I find curly hair to be the biggest challenge. I also find that persons with curly hair want straight and straight want curly. Be thankful that is you have curly hair you don't have to go through a hoop to get straight bouncy hair, I've have found more professional salon products are going after the black client.

...No. I posted it because I was surprised by the amount of people in one post who did not believe black, or curlier, hair requires different care than white, or straight, hair. I thought maybe they didn't know, scientifically speaking, that curlier and kinkier hair is unarguably and genetically different in ways the require extra attention.

Sorry I was just trying to "lighten the atmosphere".:yep:

Other races can have curly hair, but MOST/ALL black people have curly hair. Thats what makes it so different and uncomparable imo, also the fact that i've never seen another race with afro type hair 4a, 4b, 4c....I could spot that in a min.
Besides that, texture is different alot of times too...

But i know what your saying/not to nickpick your answer and go over the general point.

Back