Breakage while braiding

winona

Breakage while braiding
I noticed today if I don't let my hair fully air dry before braiding I get major breakage(palm full after a week in braids) compared to if I let it air dry completely. Does anyone else have that problem?

Also how do y'all get all the shed hair our? It seems as though I still have quite a bit even after finger detangling and using shower comb and conditioner in shower

I braid my hair when it's wet but I'm extra careful b/c the hair is weakened in it's wet stage. To detangle I use a large tooth comb then a smaller tooth comb(not too small but smaller than the large one) to get all the other shed hair that the other comb didn't get. I detangle on dry hair and with oil on my hair so I lose less when washing & braiding. Hth

I have this problem too. I have to blow dry with a comb on a light setting to straighten a bit before I braid, otherwise, it's Snap, Crackle, Pop.

Are you referring to cornrows or box braids?

I don't cornrow my hair while wet for the reasons already stated. To braid box braids is a little easier to do and puts less tension on the hair strands.

I will try the light blow dry method next time because this was just sad to me. I have gotten so spoiled by not having breakage.

Back