Breakage started but a decrease in heat and I can tell difference!

HoneyDew

You guys are right about heat and damage potential.

I have always used heat, but for the past month, I have been addicted to my new ionic dryer on high with the comb attachment. Now, after a month, my hair seems to be showing some damage.

I used to apply my heat protectant, airdry about 75% and then blowdry (sans comb) on low before flatironing. It takes forever!

But now, I think my newly discovered high temp drying and comb attachment combo has been frying and breaking my hair. :( Maybe I had been doing it incorrectly, I dunno.

Anyway,for the last 2 shampoos, I went back to my airdry, low dry, light flatiron way and I can already tell a difference in my hair. It is starting to feel the way it used to.

Hopefully my hair will continue to go back to normal while I try to reach my shoulder length and babystep heat decrease goals.

I'm glad you found out about the damage before it got too bad. Hide the blow fryer before you get tempted again. :lol: Deep condition and moisturize and you should be back on track.

HoneyDew said:
You guys are right about heat and damage potential.

I have always used heat, but for the past month, I have been addicted to my new ionic dryer on high with the comb attachment. Now, after a month, my hair seems to be showing some damage.

I used to apply my heat protectant, airdry about 75% and then blowdry (sans comb) on low before flatironing. It takes forever!

But now, I think my newly discovered high temp drying and comb attachment combo has been frying and breaking my hair. :( Maybe I had been doing it incorrectly, I dunno.

Anyway,for the last 2 shampoos, I went back to my airdry, low dry, light flatiron way and I can already tell a difference in my hair. It is starting to feel the way it used to.

Hopefully my hair will continue to go back to normal while I try to reach my shoulder length and babystep heat decrease goals.

I thought the ionic dryer was suppose to help reduce damage:ohwell:. I guess heat is heat no matter how it gets on your head.

marie170 said:
I thought the ionic dryer was suppose to help reduce damage:ohwell:. I guess heat is heat no matter how it gets on your head.

This same thing happened to me years ago but it was with the Thermasilk line. it was BECAUSE I thought it helped "reduce heat damage" that I started blowdrying more frequently. Like the OP, I became "addicted" to the look and wanted it fresh a couple times a week. Because it was a "thermal protector", I thought it would protect my hair from the increased usage and it did not. Over time, my hair thinned out and broke off....I lost thickness and length. Don't be FOOLED ladies! There is no substitute for reducing hair frying altogether!

CantBeCopied said:
This same thing happened to me years ago but it was with the Thermasilk line. it was BECAUSE I thought it helped "reduce heat damage" that I started blowdrying more frequently. Like the OP, I became "addicted" to the look and wanted it fresh a couple times a week. Because it was a "thermal protector", I thought it would protect my hair from the increased usage and it did not. Over time, my hair thinned out and broke off....I lost thickness and length. Don't be FOOLED ladies! There is no substitute for reducing hair frying altogether!

wow...I have layed off heat over the past 3 or 4 months and I was thinking about starting up again....maybe not every week but more often than I have been. Just bought a new ionic blow dryer and Solia flat iron...oh well..I will just use in moderation because I aint letting my money go to waste.:lol:

marie170 said:
wow...I have layed off heat over the past 3 or 4 months and I was thinking about starting up again....maybe not every week but more often than I have been. Just bought a new ionic blow dryer and Solia flat iron...oh well..I will just use in moderation because I aint letting my money go to waste.:lol:

I wouldn't do it anymore than twice a week if I were you. But, then, everyone's hair is different. I do it once a month. I have the Solia. I love my Solia, I really do. But, I can only enjoy it once a month. I need to keep my hair healthy, strong and thick and this is the only way for me. Think about it. Start out slow. See how your hair responds.

This reminds me of my affair with my FHI. I thought going ceramic would be "safe heat" and mean I could bump up the heat a little.... NOT. I immediately knew after my first flat ironing, as silky and purtay as it was :grin: . . .that this would have to a be an infrequent thing for me. I've had it for a little over a year now and I can count on my hand the number of times I've used it. It does the job a lil bit too well.:lol: And we won't even get on blowfrying... hot air is always gonna be hot air-- I don't care how ionic it is.:lol:

When used with a big enough diffuser, on a low enough speed, with the least possible heat, Ionic dryers cause minimal damage. Applying ionic heat directly to your head via comb attachment, etc. is a no-no. Like sistaslick said: Hot hair is hot tair.

uncutandgettinglonger said:
When used with a big enough diffuser, on a low enough speed, with the least possible heat, Ionic dryers cause minimal damage. Applying ionic heat directly to your head via comb attachment, etc. is a no-no. Like sistaslick said: Hot hair is hot tair.

Well, that answers my question on whether to buy one. I don't know how to operate with a diffuser and a comb when blow drying so, if the ionic is no better than the others when using a comb attachment.....that's good information to know!:up:

CantBeCopied said:
Well, that answers my question on whether to buy one. I don't know how to operate with a diffuser and a comb when blow drying so, if the ionic is no better than the others when using a comb attachment.....that's good information to know!:up:
When applied directly to the hair, there is really no type of heat that can be good. It is my opinion that ionic heat is less damaging (although just as if not more drying) than regular heat.

I use an Ionic dryer (Remington 1875 Ionic with the elephant gun diffuser) on the lowest speed with the least amount of heat and I get great results. It takes a little time because there isn't much air comming out directly, but my hair is way less dry than with my regular dryer.

There's really nothing to using a diffuser. The diffuser I have is really large so hardly any air comes out directly. I barely even use a comb, I usually just finger comb.

Mine came with a diffuser. I will have to give it a try.

For now, I have just been letting it airdry, but then there are always a few spots that would still be damp that need a little help.

I wish I knew how and had time to do rollersets. :ohwell:

HoneyDew said:
Mine came with a diffuser. I will have to give it a try.

For now, I have just been letting it airdry, but then there are always a few spots that would still be damp that need a little help.

I wish I knew how and had time to do rollersets. :ohwell:

Make time woman!!! If I can rollerset, anyone can....I did the ponytail rollerset a couple of weeks ago and I was very happy with the results. I am gonna start rotating between rollersets and using the ionic blow dryer and do a flat iron probably once a month.

Last edited:
I just cant figure this one out - I know several girls (3 anyway) who work at the salon I frequent and they flat iron their hair almost daily and they have gorgeous hair...

Well, in my case, I don't think it is the flat iron. It is the Blow dryer, and even worse the comb attachment.

I am just better off airdrying and then flatironing with heat protectant.

I use the flatiron twice a week after I shampoo and that seems to be okay, but I am going to even decrease that as I get longer.

Back