Breakage spot? What did you do to nurse yours back to health?

Nubianrose

I was doing my hair last night and I discovered I had a spot in the back of my hair that broke down almost to my scalp- its about a 1/4 long if that. (I'm relaxed btw) Do you suggest I let that area grow out a couple of inches before perming that area or what other tips do you all have. As of right now I'm going to be massaging the area with castor oil nightly. And when I go back to doing my wash n go's I'll be surging the area...anything else ladies?
thanks

I would suggest that you leave it alone for right now as far as chemical's go and if you can try to think back on what you could be doing wrong to cause this breakage.

That happened to my sister and she nursed her hair back by using Nexxus Humectrus shampoo and conditioner and when doing touch ups she did that section last or not at all.

She did go to a dermatlogist though to make sure her scalp wasn't damaged. Maybe you should do that first and then try deep conditioning treatments and skip chemicals in that area if it won't be very noticeable.

I have 3 different areas like that (Not that short BUT broken) so I'm 75% bent on transitioning.

I would do:

Avoid Relaxing that area

Use EXTRA conditioner on that area

Incorporate protein treatments

And let it do it's thing

Thanks ladies...thinking back on what could have caused it now- I tried the lil miconazole nitrate (athlete's foot) thing for a couple days then I decided to stop...this is the only thing that I think could have caused it, because my hair was definitely doing well otherwise, just gotta pray that the rest of my darned head isn't effected by that..

That happened to me, i got a relaxer the next couple of days i had about 5 of these towards the back of my head like less than 1/4 inch long-never happened before
so massaged the areas daily and cowashed every 2 days and kept the area moisturized and baggied.

Do you know what caused the breakage?
I had some breakage from stretching out my relaxers. I just continued conditioning my hair taking care of it correctly and I don't stretch anymore. It will be back before you know it. :)

Lovelylocs said:
Do you know what caused the breakage?
I had some breakage from stretching out my relaxers. I just continued conditioning my hair taking care of it correctly and I don't stretch anymore. It will be back before you know it. :)
I think that is what happened to me. I tried doing the stretches so I went 18 weeks one of the last times and MAJOR breakage. I gained but lost... :(
Even 13 weeks is pushing it for my 4a/b hair. If anything I would go 10-12 weeks.

I have the same problem too - a small section in the back right side of my hair has completely broken off.

I now get my hairdresser to put the realxer there last instead of first which I have always done for years in the past. I am careful when I comb it now, and I will be conditioning it seperately from the rest of my hair and paying it special attention to it.

I had the same problem. there was a section of my hair that was broken off to only 3 inches :(

What I did was treat it as if it was 12 inches, by treating it like silk. I massaged it daily, moisturized constantly and made sure that I didn't set it in a ponytail tightly. It took about a year to get it the length of the rest of my hair but it was well worth the wait.

I had a spot at the back of my head that was about an inch to an inch and a half long and it did not grow becuase it was slick straight and would still be straight when the rest of my head had kinky new growth. I used Surge and WGO. I also had a spot in the front at my the left side of my hair line that was slick bald from overprecessing (no joke, I was devastated....it was right in the FRONT!) and Surge and WGO helped me out there, too. Too look at it now, you would never know it.

Ladies, how long did it take you to nurse it back? The same thing has happened to me a few times. It could have been many reasons but mostly bc i was doing my own relaxers. When it happened a couple of years ago, (from hairline to ear ladies!!)i started biotin and had braids/updos from june-nov. And by thanksgiving ithad grown in layers almost armpit length(longest layer),and the damaged area was at nose(bangs), and chin length. I got cocky after that and now my back is messed up. I have decided to transition to natural. I think i will get bored with the updos not to mention the $$! But I'm wondering if i should do the same thing that worked b4?

Back