Breakage from high puffs?

NaturalBritt87

Has anyone experienced any breakage from wearing their hair in puffs/high puffs? I have not as of yet and use cheap knee high stockings that you can buy at walgreens, rite aid to pull my hair up and it is less tension on my hair compare to a stretched goody headband. The stocking doesn't create headaches and I have more control as to how taut I can pull my hair.

I am worried about the longterm impact of wearing your hair like that. It's an easy lazy style for me and I typically put my hair in a puff towards the end of a week long style. I stopped wearing them lately because I sort of felt a change in the way my hair felt as I got 3/4 way down my strands, it's slightly noticeable to me. I have chosen to wear more out styles to reduce the risk of any real breakage.

NaturalBritt87,
No, I haven't had any breakage from that style. I have to be very careful about what I use to hold my hairstyles just like I'm very careful about the ingredients in products I use etc. I don't think nylon would work for my hair. I grew up with that being the main part of many a "night cap" as a little girl. I would be concerned about it contributing to excessive dryness. Which brings me to what I wanted to suggest to you. Perhaps the nylon is drying the parts of your hair in the middle sections it comes into contact with? Think mid-shaft splits. If you choose to continue to use the nylons as a hair constraint, consider using a good re-constructor, upping your DCing, or sealing. IOW, something to add more moisture to those middle strands. JMHO

Prudent1 what do you use to achieve that style? Stretched out goody bands give me a migraine. I haven't found a nothing else to put my hair in a puff that is relatively inexpensive. I have heard about the puff cuff, etc but don't know if it's worth the investment. Overall my hair feels pretty smooth, I just dusted my ends last week and the mid shaft of my hair felt fine, but I will take into consideration the things you suggested to reduce the likelihood of friction on my strands. I also don't slick my hair up with gel/edge tamer and a brush, I sort of let the knee high pull my hair up. Thanks for responding!

That's was my go to style for awhile. I never experienced damage from doing high puffs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 81
I did experience breakage from my high puffs, and I could only do them with a nylon/stocking for several years. Now if I am going to wear a high puff, I use a banana clip. I have very fine hair, so my strands are more delicate than those of many other naturals.

If you have hi po or fine hair or both then nylon may rob your hair of moisture so you can't use them everyday or too tight for a puff. Alternate your days and don't wear the puff with nylon for too many hours. I am natural again but when I was natural four years ago I did the nylon thing and I didn't have any breakage but that was because I didn't wear my puff tight and I didn't wear a nylon puff everyday.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
almond eyes I have medium to coarse strands that are high density. My hair I believe is mostly normal porosity. I did a porosity test with a clump of shed hair instead of a strand and my hair hovered submerged below the surface of the water, the after several hours sank to the bottom. I can go 3-4 days without re-moisturizing. I never wear my puff too tightly (headache) and not daily. I've been on an anti-puff kick lately just to give my hair some rest. It seems I may need to create a puff with a thin silk or satin scarf. Thanks for your input.

@Prudent1 what do you use to achieve that style? Stretched out goody bands give me a migraine. I haven't found a nothing else to put my hair in a puff that is relatively inexpensive. I have heard about the puff cuff, etc but don't know if it's worth the investment. Overall my hair feels pretty smooth, I just dusted my ends last week and the mid shaft of my hair felt fine, but I will take into consideration the things you suggested to reduce the likelihood of friction on my strands. I also don't slick my hair up with gel/edge tamer and a brush, I sort of let the knee high pull my hair up. Thanks for responding!
NaturalBritt87,
Goody bands:look::lol::drunk:. But when I use them I only do 1 or 2 twists. No more. I do enough to secure my hair but I'm not going for a slicked look either:nono:. It sounds like you're on top of things. Keep paying attention to your hair. It will tell you what it needs. Oh and rotate positions/placement of your puffs to avoid breakage if you aren't already. HHG!

@almond eyes I have medium to coarse strands that are high density. My hair I believe is mostly normal porosity. I did a porosity test with a clump of shed hair instead of a strand and my hair hovered submerged below the surface of the water, the after several hours sank to the bottom. I can go 3-4 days without re-moisturizing. I never wear my puff too tightly (headache) and not daily. I've been on an anti-puff kick lately just to give my hair some rest. It seems I may need to create a puff with a thin silk or satin scarf. Thanks for your input.

Then it is best to alternate your puff days, your hair is telling you it doesn't like it too much. Good luck.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I use the goody headbands, instead of the ponytail holders and wrap it no more than 3 times. It is a little loose, but not alot

Back