Breakage, Breakage, Breakage URGH!!!

luvn_life

THIS BREAKAGE IS KILLIN ME....

Hola Ladies,

I figure its been a while since I started a thread so, let me ask a question... Anyways, so I am having a problem with breakage. The only thing is its not like alot alot. Its not like when I'm doing my hair there is like 100 little hairs all over the place. Just like 15 - 20. I just don't know what to do. But, it's weird because its only when my hair is in a braidout or something. Its not that much when my hair is straight. I just don't know what to do. I'm not sure whether to use ApHogee so my hair will be stronger or if I should lay off the protein for a while. I need help PLEASE!!! I want my hair to get longer and stronger for the new year.

Thank you sooooo much in advance.

Last edited:
Hmmm...sounds like too much manipulation. Is the breakage coming from the ends? What products do you use? If you look at your regi, do you use more protein or more moisture?

Yes the breakage is only at the ends... I think I use more moisture. I use Pantene Relaxed and Natural Intense Moisture shampoo and I use Aussie Deeeeeep 3 min moisture Miracle after every wash. But I do use protein too. Last week I did a deep condition with Megatek. But, that kinda sucked. I was being lazy and not wanting to go to Sally's to get the two step treatment. But, this has been an issue. I just dont get it...

I would go into baby mode with the ends. I would just try to baggy them more often. I use Profective Healthy Ends on my hair and it works wonders.

Breakage sucks. I have the same problem. However when I up my protein the problem is much less sever. I conditioned with Megatek in the shower a few days ago and ive had virtually no hair on my comb since then. I didnt DC with it though.

Why did Megatek suck for you?

I think you just notice the shed hairs when its braided, because the hair can't fall freely...its trapped in the braid, and then when you goto unbraid it you see the shed hairs. when your hair is loose it falls out unbenounced to you, and you don't notice it as much.
15-20 shed hairs a day really isn't bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it!

ETA: Ooops....I didnt read (clearly) where you said little hairs!!!!!!

When I tried Baggying my hair was just super mushy in the morning which would mean by the end of the day they would be super dry... Was I not doing it right??

Also, yes I use coconut oil. But, maybe I don't use as much as I should because when I see the hair on my hands from rubbing it on it kinda freaks me out...

I know it probably sounds stupid because its not that much. But if there is a such thing as 0% breakage then I should strive for that right??

Breakage sucks. I have the same problem. However when I up my protein the problem is much less sever. I conditioned with Megatek in the shower a few days ago and ive had virtually no hair on my comb since then. I didnt DC with it though.

Why did Megatek suck for you?

Trust me I don't know. I used it before as a conditioner ( I started the "MegaTek is the freakin truth" thread) But, it just didn't work this time. my hair was hard and icky... I think maybe it didn't take or something. It just sucked.

When I tried Baggying my hair was just super mushy in the morning which would mean by the end of the day they would be super dry... Was I not doing it right??

Also, yes I use coconut oil. But, maybe I don't use as much as I should because when I see the hair on my hands from rubbing it on it kinda freaks me out...

I know it probably sounds stupid because its not that much. But if there is a such thing as 0% breakage then I should strive for that right??

lol dont be afraid of the coconut oil, thats some beautiful stuff and it does beautiful things:yep:

Trust me I don't know. I used it before as a conditioner ( I started the "MegaTek is the freakin truth" thread) But, it just didn't work this time. my hair was hard and icky... I think maybe it didn't take or something. It just sucked.

hmm 'Hard and Icky'

sounds like it was too much protein for your hair this time around

your hair can start to react differently to things at different times

Hmmm...sounds like too much manipulation. Is the breakage coming from the ends? What products do you use? If you look at your regi, do you use more protein or more moisture?

ITA:yep:...the braidouts may be too much for your hair:look:...not sure if you have been using alot of protein,but just in case u did, try a moisturizing condish...that should help:yep:

I suggest that you hid your hair for a couple of weeks. spritz hair with glycerin/water and bun it. Co-wash nightly. This will make a HUGE difference. Second week, co-wash with a light protein condish.
Yes the breakage is only at the ends... I think I use more moisture. I use Pantene Relaxed and Natural Intense Moisture shampoo and I use Aussie Deeeeeep 3 min moisture Miracle after every wash. But I do use protein too. Last week I did a deep condition with Megatek. But, that kinda sucked. I was being lazy and not wanting to go to Sally's to get the two step treatment. But, this has been an issue. I just dont get it...

Can someone please recommend a good Moisturizing conditioner??

I dont do much recommending because the one I love the most for right now is pretty expensive , I cant even believe I buy it by the gallon now

but Aveda Brilliant is one for sure
also Redken Butter treat

I'm waiting to get my hands on Aveda Dry Rememdy, I bet that would be really good for your hair right now

How often do you use heat on your hair and what type? (blow dryer, flat iron)

As bad as it sounds I use heat once a week now. I am very careful when I use it. I use Heat protectant and everything. I know I was probably gonna have to stop doing it so much. It just looks so pretty when its straight and it feels so strong...

But, go head give it to me straight... **sobbing**

Are you doing your braid outs on wet hair? This very well could be too much manipulation as previously stated. If you only have this problem when doing braid and twist out styles, try doing them on damp or dry hair. I had the same problem until I started doing them on damp hair. I apply a moisturizer (extra on the ends) and brush through, then a butter (brush through), then an oil (avocado, grapeseed, or a castor/evoo mix). I braid then run some more oil down the length of the braids, focusing on the ends.

Yes, that could be the problem too. I think I do entirely too much on wet hair. And that's never good. I won't be doing that anymore.

Are you doing your braid outs on wet hair? This very well could be too much manipulation as previously stated. If you only have this problem when doing braid and twist out styles, try doing them on damp or dry hair. I had the same problem until I started doing them on damp hair. I apply a moisturizer (extra on the ends) and brush through, then a butter (brush through), then an oil (avocado, grapeseed, or a castor/evoo mix). I braid then run some more oil down the length of the braids, focusing on the ends.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING IT. THIS IS WHY I did a braid out, I liked it, but wouldn't keep doing it. I saw a tad more breakage than I usually got, so I said, not for me......but now that I see what youa re doing, maybe I need to wait until my hair is damp, not soaking wet. what kind of butter do you use?

As bad as it sounds I use heat once a week now. I am very careful when I use it. I use Heat protectant and everything. I know I was probably gonna have to stop doing it so much. It just looks so pretty when its straight and it feels so strong...

But, go head give it to me straight... **sobbing**

Well, since you asked... No, just kidding! But I will say that I remember a time in my life where I would style my hair in the morning before work, church, whatever, and there would be all these short hairs on my back. It was like a dog shedding or something. :lol: Everyone told me shedding was natural and normal. I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to years later when I am 99% heatless, meaning I use a flat iron 3-5 times a year at most, a blow dryer once a year if that. --and now I don't get those little broken hairs on my back at all.

Before when I did get the little shed hairs, I was using heat only once a week.

I use MT as well but I also use other mild proteins to help fortify my hair and I always follow them up with good long moisturizing deep conditioning. Iuse protein now one sometimes twice a week, but they are extremely mild like Mizani Fulfyl which has a balance of moisture and protein in it.

Well, since you asked... No, just kidding! But I will say that I remember a time in my life where I would style my hair in the morning before work, church, whatever, and there would be all these short hairs on my back. It was like a dog shedding or something. :lol: Everyone told me shedding was natural and normal. I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to years later when I am 99% heatless, meaning I use a flat iron 3-5 times a year at most, a blow dryer once a year if that. --and now I don't get those little broken hairs on my back at all.

Before when I did get the little shed hairs, I was using heat only once a week.

I totally agree...since I reduced the amount of heat used on my hair, I no longer get split ends or breakage of this nature.

I have the same problem which means I'll probably need a full trim when I get my next retouch, i think its a case of experimenting with some more moisturizers and I also think it has to do with over processing when relaxing. I read somewhere that putting neutralizing shampoo on your ends when you get your next relaxer prevents further damage, which is what I plan to do. You might also want to try Mizani night treatment. If I could put an end to my breakage there would be no obtacle to acheiving my hair goal.

Yep, I totally agree with this. I get slightly more breakage when I do braidouts from wet. I have noticed it every time. But when I do my braidouts or flexis on dampened dry hair. I don't get all the problems! This is sooo true!! I've been noticing this in the last month :yep:

It also sounds like you may need to do "Just" moisture for a few weeks, Your hair may be on protein-overload, try a Moisture-Blast for a few, Deep "Moisture" Conditioners(No-Protein), once, maybe twice per week, Co-washes and Moisturizing and Sealing daily, with protective styles, then begin to infuse protein, very lightly, back into your regimine, once you get it to the Moisture-Level it should be.

Last edited:
Back