Breakage and rollersets

simplyhair

Whenever I or the stylist do a rollerset on my hair, there are a lot of broken pieces/breakage. I don't think I'm doing anything damaging. I spray my leave-in treatment and sit under the dryer. When it's dry, I take the rollers out and comb the hair with a wide tooth comb. This is exactly what the stylist does and I see a lot of the same type of breakage. What is going on?

Rollersets require a lot of manipulation as far as combing with a small-toothed comb in order to smooth the hair before rolling it. This combing combined with the heat during drying might result in the broken pieces.

It definitely has to be your leave-in or setting lotion alot of them are drying. Its not the heat because the heat from the hooded dryer is not directly positioned on the hair shaft, it circulates therefore is not damaging like a blow dryer or straightening iron. As much manipulation rollersetting takes, it involves taking small sections of hair and detangling from the ends to the roots therefore the manipulation is lesss damaging than taking a whole head of wet hair and slicking back into a bun. Believe it or not setting lotions and leave-ins like infusiuum 23 are very drying and cause breakage. I recommend doing hot oil treatments with hot six oil, my hair loves it and leaves your hair as slippery as butter, try daily doctor as a leave in my hair likes that too, profective leave in is good. Stay away from setting lotions and leave ins with protein.

PS- Im dominican and in our culture if u want healthy hair u rollerset and deep condition so it might be wat you are using not necessarily what you are doing

It might be the setting lotion. For example, I can only use Motion's Foaming Setting Lotion for wraps and not for rollersets because the last time I did, there were so many broken pieces that I was scared. But when I use it for wraps no broken pieces.

I guess you guys are right. I am using Infusium 23 and have been for some time now. I will make the switch to something w/o the protein.

I agree about the products as opposed to the technique - Only two things to add...

1. Make sure your hair is SOAKING wet when you rollerset. This can make all the difference as far as how easily the comb makes it through the hair on each section. A lack of water may lead to a certain degree of resistance that is causingt he breakage.

2. Try mixing your most mositurizing conditioner with some water - about a 4:1 water to conditioner ratio (more water than conditoner) and see how that works. Be sure there's no protein in the conditioner.

I'm also thinking your products may have more protien than you realize. Breakage despite a good regime is a sure sign of protein overload.

I just picked up Elasta QP's H-two Leave-in Moisture Sealing Conditioner. It has a lot of botanical ingredients, water, hydrolozed silk, polyq-11, centrimonium chloride, Nonoxynol-10, octoxynol-13, etc. I don't even know what the rest of this stuff is...is it just chemical. Has anyone tried this Leave-in my Elasta QP?

maybe she is not detangling from the ends up- i hate stylists for that. they don't know how to comb properly or dont want to take the time. just something to watch for.

that said, it could be the protein as Tracy said. I took Tracy's advice and stopped protein cond. so much and it has done wonders for my hair.
hth

I would also suggest that you comb from "underneath" the curl, rather than from the top of it, if you know what I mean. Rather than just unrolling and combing the hair back. I have found that with my rollersets, this helps decrease manipulation on combouts since I roll my hair up at night. The decreased manipulation is vital, especially for me at 12 weeks post-relaxer. You know, I didn't even realize it had been so long until I looked at my calendar. I'm seeing a major difference.

Back