Brazilian Keratin. Last words b4 I take the plunge?

Kamilah

I got my sample kit today (YAY!) and my sis is going to put it in for me tomorrow. I am BEYOND excited, you have no idea! I tested a small patch tonight and I'm SO impressed! It's the Global brand in strawberry scent and I honestly didn't smell anything while ironing it. Is that weird? Anywho, my sis is going to apply it tomorrow for me. Any tips? Is it really a big deal if I bend my hair? I'm considering wearing it wrapped for the weekend. Do you think this will work? Any tips/suggestions? Thanks yall!

Please make sure you ventilate the area well and both you and your sister wear masks. Also, don't have any children or pregnant/nursing women around.

I dont mean to scare you, but I think you should be well informed before using this product.
Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen.
Under EU cosmetic directives the safety level is 0.2% for external products. This treatment has 10 times of the max level.
Just thought you should know.

I thought it was formaldehyde free??!?!?

The original BKT definitely has formaldehyde. It is possible to find formaldehyde free systems though, but I think they just use a different harsh chemical instead.

How can stylists navigate this confusing mix of contradictory information? Its relatively simple; If a Brazilian Keratin product greatly reduces volume and maintains smooth shine and a reduction in volume for several months, it either has formaldehyde or a similar aldehyde. If something is called a "formaldehyde free" Brazilian Keratin formula, and it lasts only until the next washing, than it may truly be without Formaldehyde or any derivatives.

This quote is taken from:
http://www.keratinbrazil.com/brazil... marketing of formaldehyde free products.html

Last edited:
I've done quite a bit of research and decided to go with Global, with formaldehyde. When I did my patch test, I literally didn't smell a thing there was just the steam from the iron (I did a control side on the opposite side of my head to see if it was just the amount of heat that made the difference...but that treatment has that lil corner smooooooth!). I'll still ventilate but this really doesn't smell badly at all (smells like strawberries, yum!). I feel knowledgeable enough about the products (reading up on it for months now) and I'm excited. Any other last words ladies?

I've done quite a bit of research and decided to go with Global, with formaldehyde. When I did my patch test, I literally didn't smell a thing there was just the steam from the iron (I did a control side on the opposite side of my head to see if it was just the amount of heat that made the difference...but that treatment has that lil corner smooooooth!). I'll still ventilate but this really doesn't smell badly at all (smells like strawberries, yum!). I feel knowledgeable enough about the products (reading up on it for months now) and I'm excited. Any other last words ladies?

The ventilation isn't about the smell, it's so you don't breathe in as much of the formaldehyde.

Ooooh oooh I have some!!! I think this is awesome! :congrats: Good luck to you! Post pics after please :blush:

Where did you buy your sample?

I want to try the formaldehyde free one, because I don't really need straigh hair, just silkier. I totally want to know how this works out. I'm still a little scared of the heat.

I just wanted to add that you probably won't smell anything if you do it yourself since the fumes travel up and your noise is lower than your scalp. I experienced the no smell thing when I did my own but on others I get plenty of fumes. Please wear a mask and have fans to blow the fumes away from you. Good Luck! Please post pics after you have done it.

Oh. Another thing. Make sure to not get your hair wet and don't apply products. If you do get your hair wet blowdry and flatiron the areas that got wet again. The treatment needs time to soak in completely. You don't want it to wear off too soon.

You will get crimps in your hair if you don't keep it straight. That is not cute when the rest of your hair is straight and you have those sleep crimps here and there. You can however wrap your hair to keep it smooth and crimp free.

i got it on ebay. just make sure you email to ask which brand they are selling because they tend not to list that. then, once you know what the brand is, use that to do your research- unless you started out knowing which brand you wanted like i did. i knew i wanted Global so i just wrote around until i found somebody selling it. i also made sure to get one that gave me the most bang for the buck- i got 3 oz for like $65 (i think) and it came w/shampoo. better than 2 oz for $50, you know? HTH!

\Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen.

I've only been a member since October, so I still consider myself a newbie--please excuse the dumb question===>BUT what exactly are the benefits of Phytorelaxer that would justify using formaldehyde on my hair>:huh:

bumping....seeing if I can get an answer to my last post...

Hey Beans4reezy,

We're actually talking about the Brazillian Keratin Treatment (BKT). Many formulas have different percentages of formaldehyde. I think it has something to do with opening the cuticle to deposit the keratin. Not completely sure.

As it turns out, formaldehyde is in many things that we use often (baby wipes, flinstone vitamins, nail polish, etc) A great post was posted by LuckiestDestiny in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=350699&page=5#95

There is a formaldehyde "free" version, as well. It still has trace amounts, though.

Here are some great examples of longtime users of BKT right here on LHCF:

Wet normally 4a textured hair, relaxed ends with BKT on all;

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ictureid=13621

And Foxy is 100% natural and has been BKTing for years also; flat ironed in this pic:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ictureid=11967

Brittany had severely over processed hair to start. She used BKT done at home to grow out the damage and grow in a beautiful healthy head of hair:

http://public.fotki.com/brittanynic16/hair/new-me/april-08/1000445.html

As a natural that is considering relaxing next year, I think BKT may actually be the change I'm looking for. I like that this treatment seems to give many of the benefits of relaxing or texlaxing without as many cons. I love that it's not permanent, I love that it doesn't change the integral structure of my hair. I love that, if I choose, I can go right back to my afro in 2 to 4 months if I decide it's not for me.

Oh, and here's the thread that started it all for me. Don'tSpeakDefeat and daughter's results. :spinning:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=350699

Kamilah, please keep us posted. I'm thinking about doing this myself (with help from others of course). I want to try it on my sister's hair first. Can you PM me the e-bay seller info?

I'm so excited for you!

Last edited:
YAY, you took the plunge. Okay, we're waiting to hear about your results.
Can you tell me which vendor you purchased the sample from?

For those ladies interested in doing the procedure at home, how about a fume extractor? I read somewhere how a stylist uses a fume extractor to help rid the chemicals. Here's an inexpensive one.

http://www.technicaldevices.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=329064

Ebay also has a few.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr..._nkw=fume+extractor&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Rock on yodie! This is a GREAT idea.

I've only been a member since October, so I still consider myself a newbie--please excuse the dumb question===>BUT what exactly are the benefits of Phytorelaxer that would justify using formaldehyde on my hair>:huh:

also just to be clear, phytorelaxer is a relaxer, meaning a permanent straightener. BKT is not permanent, its supposed to wear off after a couple of months.

Oh. Another thing. Make sure to not get your hair wet and don't apply products. If you do get your hair wet blowdry and flatiron the areas that got wet again. The treatment needs time to soak in completely. You don't want it to wear off too soon.

You will get crimps in your hair if you don't keep it straight. That is not cute when the rest of your hair is straight and you have those sleep crimps here and there. You can however wrap your hair to keep it smooth and crimp free.

You gave me an idea dontspeakdefeat. What if I placed my hair on rollers or rods for the duration of 3 day wash wait? Would that leave me with curls or waves after I wash my hair? I think that I may try that in the back after getting the service done. Do you think this would cause any problems?

Kamilah just go for it and ask questions later. Im just kidding. I haven't tried the product just yet. I will tell you how it turns out though and what I use once I try it. So you say you purchased a sample off of Ebay for the global keratin. I'll check to see if i can find it. I really want the 4% if possible which is something none of the salons I see offer.

Kamilah,

Where are you? We're anxiously awaiting your results.
P.S. Where did you buy your sample on Ebay?

Kamilah,

Where are you? We're anxiously awaiting your results.
P.S. Where did you buy your sample on Ebay?

She logged in last night. I sent her a PM with link to the thread in case she log in again tonight.

Back