Brazilian Keratin. Last words b4 I take the plunge?

aaaahh - so the BKT bandwagon finally arose. I remember inquiring about this a year ago and had very very very very very very, did I say very? few responses.

Sitting back and waiting on long term results from folks.

I saw this CarolB! And I almost decided I wasn't going to get bkt because every "expert" first recommended a relaxer or texturizer to lift the cuticle so the treatment would "take" better. There was no way. Had it not been for natural bkt vets like Qdeez, Brittany, Crazydaze and Foxxylisa, I probably would have passed on bkt. All of the aforementioned naturals say BKT works fine on virgin hair; it relaxes the texture temporarily instead of making the hair straight.

I think the sites with the experts are stating the best way for the hair to come out stick straight immediately after wash. I just want more manageable curls as my hair gets longer, less single strand knots and to be able to straighten with little or no heat. I've been thinking roller sets.

eta: you can click on the above links to see these bkt vets. some have albums and brittany even has a youtube.

Long term effects are already noted avove. Foxxylisa has used it for a couple years. Crazydaze over a year and Brittany is also a long term user. Foxxylisa, Crazydaze, and Brittany's hair all look improved and they raved over how much better their hair is doing too (via pm's and posts in the thread)

These directives are really for the beauticians, not the clients. They are using this stuff every day, you are exposed for 2 hours max. A well ventilated area dissipates the fumes. The beauticians use extensive eye and mouth protection (like coroners), and I'm trying to find an article that was posted on this board (sorry I can't find it) that says that formaldehyde in fumes is different from the liquid version, so it's hard to compare these levels.

Also, peanut butter and aspartame are also known carcinogens. Doesn't stop people from eating them.

I have a friend who is a coroner and he uses formaldehyde all the time. Again, he says as long as the room is well ventilated (and you SHOULD use a mask to further filter the fumes), it should be fine. He is over 40 years old and owns a thriving (well I suppose that is the word) funeral home. He uses formaldehyde on a regular basis (again in a different form to what is in this product), and insists that as long as you use proper protection and ventilation, you should be fine.

I suppose my takeaway is that if you're going to do this at home, make sure you don't do it in a room with no windows. Also, get a safety mask and use rubber gloves. I would almost say this is one of those things you probably want to do in a high-end salon because there are certain standards for ventilation that they can ensure are met for your safety and for the safety of their stylists.
What Peanut butter !! :thud: Take me now!

Long term effects are already noted avove. Foxxylisa has used it for a couple years. Crazydaze over a year and Brittany is also a long term user. Foxxylisa, Crazydaze, and Brittany's hair all look improved and they raved over how much better their hair is doing too (via pm's and posts in the thread)

Thanks for sharing this. These ladies - if I am not mistaken - wear their hair straight 99% of the time.... So - I think BTK may be good for those who want to straighten- without relaxing.

Thanks for sharing this. These ladies - if I am not mistaken - wear their hair straight 99% of the time.... So - I think BTK may be good for those who want to straighten- without relaxing.

You're right for the most part with the exception of CrazyDaze. I pm'd the heck out of her. Bless her heart!:yep:

Anyways she wears it curly too, as she explains the hair can be worn curly when you don't want to straighten it. I think she's the one in one of her pms that explained she put some mixed chicks on and moves on...or it could've been foxy lisa. I don't remember off the top which one (but it was one of them) that said that. I do know, that crazydaze does wear it curly and straight on and off whereas Brittany prefers to wear it straight 99 percent of the time as does Foxylissa

Back