Braids Vs Twists

CaraWalker

which would you get?

which are faster?
which have the most long term staying power?

i want twists because i want them really long and feel like they wont be as heavy or take as long to put in

but i want braids because i'm thinking it will protect the hair better and be easier to take down

I want cornrows, preferably into a bun, for the Winter. I want as little maintenance as humanly possible, so no box braids or twists that I'd have to style. www.thebraidguru.com does nice work, just too far away. Her cornrowed mohawk is gorgeous...and I hate mohawks.

I've had both. It may be a little faster to get twists in but I don't think braids are more protective. If you take care of your hair you'll retain growth with both styles. (You don't need to wash and condition multiple times a week as if your hair is freeflowing.)

It really depends on how you plan to wear hair. I find braids are a little more flexible for bunning. With twists you can get away with redoing edges once per install (I find myself doing it more often with braids).

With extension hair you should be able to keep them both in for the same amount of time between 2 and 3 months. You can wash in both.

I find twist extensions are easier to take out especially if they start them with twists. Braids seem to take longer to take out.

Installed correctly twist can protect your hair as much as braids. I think they are a bit lighter.

Be careful getting anything really long and keeping it in for long periods. Unless you wear it up its going to stress your scalp.

You really want to take care of your scalp any time you put in extensions. Make sure it stays hydrated and your hair moisturized.

i am looking at pictures and am not sure i could pull these off. sometimes they look so dated... i dont know if im stylish enough to be one of those people killing it with braids or twists.

Keri-Hilson-Birthday-2013-StraightFromtheA-5.jpg

tumblr_ml95epdjsi1rti72po1_500-300x300.jpg

9fac6906ab0a0bf8ec1440f8c89ab34a.jpg

la-et-st-jessica-williams-removes-herself-from-daily-show-host-derby-20150216

jessica williams is why i am so sold on the idea of the twists but the more i read about them the more unsure i am.

whats a good size to avoid stressing the hair? although my hair is extremely fragile when it comes to heat it seems to do perfectly fine as long as it is set well in something. ive never had any issues with anything pulling my hair out from the roots - never lost edges from weaves, never had problems with braids as kid.

I self install Sengelase Twists and use Marley hair. For me its quicker to do twists and I use Marley hair, because it has more of a natural texture. But you can use any type of hair for twists.

I have seen growth with this particular protective style. It all depends on how you take care of your hair for retention and growth.

I have done both. Twists are quick to take out. However, for me they do not have as much lasting power as braids. Braids are better at protecting my hair, the twists seem to make my hair tangle.

which would you get?
Love both

which are faster?
Both are fast to put in if you go to a good braider. Twists are waaaaay faster to take out

which have the most long term staying power?
Braids last longer

marley-senegalese-havana-box-braids-header.jpg

and the difference is what? :look:

The difference is the hair. Box braids and Senegalese twists are with braiding/kanekalon hair. Havana twists are done with havana twist hair which is from a specific company and are super soft and come out looking really thick. Marley twists are going for the havana twist look but with marley hair. Marley hair tends not to be as soft as havana hair and is less expensive than Havana hair

I've had box braids twice.

The braider told me that box braids were faster to do (5hrs). But, I know for sure that taking twists out is faster.

Braids didn't last long for me because my hair started growing out within the first week. I kept them for one month each time. My hair line is thinner so, be careful.

The difference is the hair. Box braids and Senegalese twists are with braiding/kanekalon hair. Havana twists are done with havana twist hair which is from a specific company and are super soft and come out looking really thick. Marley twists are going for the havana twist look but with marley hair. Marley hair tends not to be as soft as havana hair and is less expensive than Havana hair
what kind of hair do you think the girl has in the second box in the first pic?

Back