Braids = Thicker Hair?

KiniKakes

I don't think so!!! :confused:

But I posted a few new pics in my Fokti of my (unrelaxed) hair in thick plaits right after I took out my braids (see Stretching It Out album). And several ppl have commented that my hair looks way thicker! :D

I have gotten braids in the past, and if anything i experienced THINNER hair right afterward. So..... i started thinking about any changes Ive made in my regimen since getting the braids. And in the last month or so, the only thing Ive changed about my regimen are this:

-started taking 5 mg of Biotin (about 3 weeks now)
-started taking 1000 mg of Horsetail (about 3 weeks now)
-started eating baby carrots frequently, as a snack throughout the day
-Whey protein shake (but i only did this the first 3 weeks of the braids.... then i started hating the taste and fell off of this)

I dont know what to make of my thicker-looking looking hair..... but I *aint* complaining!

Oh, FYI, I got my relaxer yesterday and my hair does not look that much thicker. *shrug* It does appear to be a little bit fuller than before the braids, but no where near "thick" hair. Still officially in the Fine-Haired ladies club. :) Oh well.... maybe the "thick" hair was an illusion before the relaxer.

I plan to post updated Progress Pics in 2 weeks (Oct. 6)

I was thinking about putting braids back in my hair but I think I am just going to take this weave out and weave my own hair and see how well it does..

thanks for posting this info..Braids does make your hair thinner..in my thoughts..

it may just be that they are looking at your natural hair which is thicker than your relaxed.

Cooyah said:
it may just be that they are looking at your natural hair which is thicker than your relaxed.

Well that is definitely a part of it. My unrelaxed hair will always appear thicker/fuller than my relaxed hair.

But the thing is, I have taken pics of my unrelaxed hair before..... and it was noticeably thinner. In that same album, I have pics of my unrelaxed plaits from a year ago, and those plaits are not only shorter but significantly thinner.

I dont know what to make of it, girl. *shrug*

KiniKakes said:
I don't think so!!! :confused:

But I posted a few new pics in my Fokti of my (unrelaxed) hair in thick plaits right after I took out my braids (see Stretching It Out album). And several ppl have commented that my hair looks way thicker! :D

I have gotten braids in the past, and if anything i experienced THINNER hair right afterward. So..... i started thinking about any changes Ive made in my regimen since getting the braids. And in the last month or so, the only thing Ive changed about my regimen are this:

-started taking 5 mg of Biotin (about 3 weeks now)
-started taking 1000 mg of Horsetail (about 3 weeks now)
-started eating baby carrots frequently, as a snack throughout the day
-Whey protein shake (but i only did this the first 3 weeks of the braids.... then i started hating the taste and fell off of this)

I dont know what to make of my thicker-looking looking hair..... but I *aint* complaining!

Oh, FYI, I got my relaxer yesterday and my hair does not look that much thicker. *shrug* It does appear to be a little bit fuller than before the braids, but no where near "thick" hair. Still officially in the Fine-Haired ladies club. :) Oh well.... maybe the "thick" hair was an illusion before the relaxer.

I plan to post updated Progress Pics in 2 weeks (Oct. 6)

way OT: what is Biotin. what does it do to your hair?

BOT: I don't think braids make your hair thicker. Do you think you shed less with braids.

plove said:
way OT: what is Biotin. what does it do to your hair?

BOT: I don't think braids make your hair thicker. Do you think you shed less with braids.

No, I definitely dont think I shed less with braids. But since you're not combing, the hair doesnt come out. BUT..... when i got my hair washed in that bowl after my relaxer, I nearly cried when I turned around and saw all the hair that was in the sink. But i realized that it was dead hair that had accumulated due to the braids. So.... no biggie. :ohwell:

Biotin is a supplement that aids in cell growth, supports protein metabolism, and promotes healthy hair, skin, and nails. Most hair vitamins contain biotin, but Im taking the Biotin vitamins in order to get more. There have been tons of threads about Biotin..... you should do a search for a few of them, because im sure they explain the benefits of Biotin a lot better than i can.

I do not think braids makes your hair thicker. I want to get braids but I am scared of damaging my hair. Sounds crazy now coming from the braid queen of micros and kinky twists but I feel like since I learned how to take care of my hair now. I do not want braids. I use to wear braids to avoid doing anything to my hair. They did grow my hair to apl though (twice) I'm not ga lie but I just want to start taking care of my own hair.:)

tsmith said:
I do not think braids makes your hair thicker. I want to get braids but I am scared of damaging my hair. Sounds crazy now coming from the braid queen of micros and kinky twists but I feel like since I learned how to take care of my hair now. I do not want braids. I use to wear braids to avoid doing anything to my hair. They did grow my hair to apl though (twice) I'm not ga lie but I just want to start taking care of my own hair.:)

I agree w/you. I dont think braids make the hair thicker at all. So.... I guess its safe to say that my hair thickening up a bit can be attributed to those new products i incorporated into my regimen. Kewl! :cool:

Hey KiniKakes,

I just checked out your album and your hair looks nice and thick to me. I'm about to go get me some Horsetail pills.:D

P.S. Where can I can get them from?:)

MizaniMami said:
Sorry Kini,
I don't think your hair is thin to begin with. Maybe you are suffering from hair Anorexia??

Oh my gosh, MM, its sooo thin!!!! :lol: I SWEAR!!! And to make matters worst, I dont have a lot of hair follicles/strands on my head. The thing is, I only post the best pics of my hair, esp. in the Progress photos. So that gives the illusion of it being thicker. But in real life it looks so limp and flat and thin.

fallback said:
Hey KiniKakes,

I just checked out your album and your hair looks nice and thick to me. I'm about to go get me some Horsetail pills.:D

P.S. Where can I can get them from?:)

I got my horsetail from GNC. Its the Nature's Fingerprint brand. But keep in mind, I recently added the Biotin as well..... so Im really not sure WHAT is making it thicker. Could be a combination of both....?

KiniKakes said:
I got my horsetail from GNC. Its the Nature's Fingerprint brand. But keep in mind, I recently added the Biotin as well..... so Im really not sure WHAT is making it thicker. Could be a combination of both....?

Thanks:)....I take Biotin already so I may add the horsetail to it.

KiniKakes said:
Oh my gosh, MM, its sooo thin!!!! :lol: I SWEAR!!! And to make matters worst, I dont have a lot of hair follicles/strands on my head. The thing is, I only post the best pics of my hair, esp. in the Progress photos. So that gives the illusion of it being thicker. But in real life it looks so limp and flat and thin.

Whatever Kini, the first step to hair anorexia is admitting you have a problem.:lol:

But whatever thin or thick your hair looks great! Are you texlaxed? If so, have you thought about going even more texlaxed? That way YOu can keep some of your thickness

MizaniMami said:
Whatever Kini, the first step to hair anorexia is admitting you have a problem.:lol:

But whatever thin or thick your hair looks great! Are you texlaxed? If so, have you thought about going even more texlaxed? That way YOu can keep some of your thickness

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well to be honest with you, I dont really know how to transition to tex-laxed. I want to very badly, but Im just not sure what I could do differently. I get a mild, no lye, gentle treatment relaxer every 2-3 months. She puts it right in, and takes it right out. It doesnt take long to apply it throughout my hair, since i dont have a lot of strands. She doesnt "work it in" or anything like that. So the relaxer is literally in there probably 10 minutes or so. My hair is so soft it just doesnt require a lot to straighten it.

What else can I do to get it tex-laxed? Stretch even longer?

KiniKakes said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well to be honest with you, I dont really know how to transition to tex-laxed. I want to very badly, but Im just not sure what I could do differently. I get a mild, no lye, gentle treatment relaxer every 2-3 months. She puts it right in, and takes it right out. It doesnt take long to apply it throughout my hair, since i dont have a lot of strands. She doesnt "work it in" or anything like that. So the relaxer is literally in there probably 10 minutes or less. My hair is so soft it just doesnt require a lot to straighten it.

What else can I do to get it tex-laxed? Stretch even longer?

A lot of other ladies do various mathods. They coat the hair with something protein based-keraphix, motions, something. Or you can simply coat your newgrowth wth some thick oils or even a cheapie condish. Or you can add soem protein to the relaxer (or ask the stylist to).

Your stylist sounds like she do everything right as far as time so that's the only thing I would say.

You should make a thread. I am pretty sure you will get more responses. I suck at the texlaxing thing. Every week I wanna go back to straight relaxing.:lol:

I'm not sure if it's the braids, but your hair definitely looks thicker (I know, I've stalked your album :lol: ). Your braids look FAT!!! That's wonderful...we may have to pull your card from the fine haired ladies club!

I know you have 13 weeks of newgrowth, but it does seem like you're gaining thickness because the length of your braids look thick. Way to go!

Back