Braids still in style?

Lovelylocs

Are microbraids, cornrows, or other braided styles still in style in your area?

I kind of realized that I don't see them as much anymore. But, some other parts of the country may be wearing them.

Yes they are still in here, no matter what area. Now you see more of a mix of things though; twists, out styles, weaves, wigs and braids.

I've never worn micros but I still wear them (cornrows, kinky twists, box braids) when I need a rest from the styling.

Shoot, I still rock cornrows and I do them in my daughter's hair :yep:

I see a mix of everything in my neck of the woods, but I would wear them regardless because I don't keep up with trends I do what's best for me and mines.

kinky/senegalese twists are very popular in my area, micro braids are less popular, but still present, and i'm seeing more people with the individual "poetic justice" braids (mostly college aged women from NYC)...i dont see many women with cornrows though.

Braids will always be in style in my area, because I will make darn sure they stay current wherever I find myself to be. Coz I make whatever I want current. *shrug*

I am wearing micros as I type and they are in a messing bun. I work in government and I am senior level management. My micros are far from old school….I have a few highlights in them and I am good with styling them.

Although I never felt they were out of style it has been noted by fashion watchers braids are coming back with a vengeance...Especially the braids rocked a lot in 90's e.g. Brandi braids

Didn't know they ever went out of style. Braid shops are all the rage in the DMV and I always see folks wearing them. I think, done right, they are stylish and very professional.

I never really even thought about braids being in style or not. I always thought that they were classic too. For some reason braids make my hair grow faster because they are the best protective style for me. I am actually wearing cornrows now. Plus, I just cut off the remainder of my permed hair and am completely natural and I am still learning what to do with my hair besides wearing it in a short afro.

Chile, if I wore what most consider stylish for black womens hair, I'd have a lacefront and or some sort of hair toupee with an invisible part.

That said, I like braids and just got some done:)

Braids, twists, etc are a hairstyle that our ancestors have done since before we were all born. And they are a hairstyle that Ms-gg will continue to rock no matter who else is rocking them. The day I first went natural almost 5 years ago was the day I stopped caring about "what's in style" as far as hair is concerned. If I think it is cute then I will wear it.

I wish somebody would tell me "my hair" is out of style...

Maybe its not a question of braids themselves being in style but more a question of the type of braids.....Remember Poetic Justice type braids, the super fat ones...haven't seen them in quite a while or Pam from Living Single...how her hair was shaved in the back and it was kinda like an angled bob....So I would venture that the braiding style would be more in question of in or out of fashion instead of braids altoghether

I don't see braids very much where I live. I happen to be wearing braids now because I'm growing my hair, and have people around here staring at me like they've never seen braids before. It was the same when I had locs. Ugh. I hate this town.

Yes they are still in here, no matter what area. Now you see more of a mix of things though; twists, out styles, weaves, wigs and braids.

I've never worn micros but I still wear them (cornrows, kinky twists, box braids) when I need a rest from the styling.

Exactly. It's not just in the 'hood'.

Maybe its not a question of braids themselves being in style but more a question of the type of braids.....Remember Poetic Justice type braids, the super fat ones...haven't seen them in quite a while or Pam from Living Single...how her hair was shaved in the back and it was kinda like an angled bob....So I would venture that the braiding style would be more in question of in or out of fashion instead of braids altogether

I couldn't agree more!

I'm not a big fan of cornrows or braids with adult women....i like twists much more for adult women imo

Runs out quickly

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

Braids are not "in style" in my area. But I do see flat twists here and there. Other natural styles such as afros, twist outs, and braid outs are more "in style". I have seen less and less braids since 2000. I remember almost everyone having braids with beads back in the 90's.

Back