Braids maintenance

sweetascocoa

i got braids yesterday. What are must haves? It's human hair....how often can i wash it? I plan to keep it for a minimum of 3 months. I plan to continue surging but i dont want buildup at the base of the braids. How do i prevent that? Help please. I have only gotten braids once...when i was 13 and i lost a lot of hair.....I have really fine thin hair and i cant afford to lose more hair. lol

Suggestions on how to take care of it please

I do C&G, but I also deep condition while braided so I always have a lot of buildup. But I don't lose a lot of hair. I'm very careful at takedown. Robin actually has some info about taking down braids w/ heavy buildup that I use. Works like a charm, but it's tedious and you have to go slow. I think it's worth it because my hair loves it. The first few times I took my braids down it was like a new head of hair. I didn't even recognize it. I haven't used human hair before so I can't help with that, but if you wanna surge I says surge. :yep:

toosexy1 said:
i got braids yesterday. What are must haves? It's human hair....how often can i wash it? I plan to keep it for a minimum of 3 months. I plan to continue surging but i dont want buildup at the base of the braids. How do i prevent that? Help please. I have only gotten braids once...when i was 13 and i lost a lot of hair.....I have really fine thin hair and i cant afford to lose more hair. lol

Suggestions on how to take care of it please

To prevent buildup I would suggest doing as Robin recommends and taking down and rebraiding sections of your hair weekly. If you leave your braids in for a minimum of 3 months (esp micros) without taking them down and redoing them, you are asking for trouble. Your hair will be a tangled, matted, mess. I speak from experience.

Also make sure you keep the braids moisturized.

I miss my braids. :(

I always used liquid leave-ins to moisturize my braids. I LOVE the ones by Yaki professional, but there are so many!

yhst-2519492840586_1908_50481474

yhst-2519492840586_1908_50656180

Hi, I am a newbie but I have been getting braids done for years. I usually get them done at the beginning of the fall semester of college. I think that you can keep your braids for 3 months if you redo the perimeter, your hairline and nape every 2 to 3 weeks. I usually take out a braid to test and see how much build up i have and growth to determine if it needs to be redone. I am natural and have almost apl of hair. I wash my hair/braids once a week at least. This works great for me. I also recommend just rinsing your hair with water. Tie your hair up at night. When i first started getting braids i never tied my hiar up. This was a big mistake. Lots of build up and lent it seems like. I tied my hair up at night it cut down on it extremely. I hope this helps.

Hairtype 4a/b

lnhair said:
Hi, I am a newbie but I have been getting braids done for years. I usually get them done at the beginning of the fall semester of college. I think that you can keep your braids for 3 months if you redo the perimeter, your hairline and nape every 2 to 3 weeks. I usually take out a braid to test and see how much build up i have and growth to determine if it needs to be redone. I am natural and have almost apl of hair. I wash my hair/braids once a week at least. This works great for me. I also recommend just rinsing your hair with water. Tie your hair up at night. When i first started getting braids i never tied my hiar up. This was a big mistake. Lots of build up and lent it seems like. I tied my hair up at night it cut down on it extremely. I hope this helps.

Hairtype 4a/b
do your braids get fuzzy with washing once a week? so do you rinse with water instead of washing with shampoo on your wash day?

HoneyDew said:
I miss my braids. :(

I always used liquid leave-ins to moisturize my braids. I LOVE the ones by Yaki professional, but there are so many!

yhst-2519492840586_1908_50481474

yhst-2519492840586_1908_50656180
i was atthe BSS today and i spent 30 minutes looking at braid sprays but i didnt see the yaki one. i got african pride instead. is that good? can i use something like ashas silk rose elixir to moisturise?

nikipoo....i'll start sleeping with a plastic cap now. thank you :)

I've had braids on and off for a while, and am now on a two-year stretch for graduation.

1) The plastic cap works great for me too.
2) I use African Pride or African Royal, they both work well.
3) You might want to check out WGH for your edges...I used to lose the edges and nape, but this stuff keeps it really well moisturized.
4) Most definitely do the C&G takedown...saves LOTS of hair.
5) I think three months is okay...only if you redo the perimeter and edges.
6) I would cover your braids with a silk scarf every now and then when you go out to aid against moisture loss...it really helps...and it looks pretty too.
7) I cowash every 2-3 days and I only shampoo (right now I'm no-pooing, and my hair LOVES the conditioning clarifyer Kiwi by VO5) every two weeks.

Best of luck. HHG.

cmw45 said:
Ohh Oooo oooo...FIND A GOOD LEAVE IN! If you do nothing else.:D
Thanls cmw...what leave in do you suggest? the only one i have is the ashas and it works for me? and it liquid so it wont build up. but im not sure if it will work on extensions.

I seriously did not know that one could wash braids that often. now i know :D

toosexy1 said:
do your braids get fuzzy with washing once a week? so do you rinse with water instead of washing with shampoo on your wash day?

To answer your question. Somewhat. I get more frizz due to doing braids on my hair type. My braids hold up well and i usually get complements way into 2 month. Tying your hair up at night will hold down and slick down frizz. I usually braid my braids/micros into 2 big braids. It works wonders and then tie it up with a scarf.

yeah the reason why i asked is because the last time i got them, i was natural too and they got fuzzy when i washed it. thanks for the tips everyone. keep 'em coming :)

toosexy1 said:
i was atthe BSS today and i spent 30 minutes looking at braid sprays but i didnt see the yaki one. i got african pride instead. is that good? can i use something like ashas silk rose elixir to moisturise?

nikipoo....i'll start sleeping with a plastic cap now. thank you :)

It is my favorite and I will pick up many bottles if I see them. But, girl, there are so many good ones.

I just find that regular liquid leave-in are better for my braids than some of the normal "braid sprays". They sometimes smell better and have better ingredients.

The last time I had braids, I had fun using a that Giovanni leave in - the Giovanni Vitapro Fusion. That on was really good for my braids.

Thanks, TooSexy, for this thread: I'm getting my hair braided tomorrow and I'm so excited! And thanks, all of y'all, for your suggestions, especially about the leave-in as opposed to the braid sprays. The last time I had braids/twists I used a braid spray and had mucho build-up. I'm going to pick up the Giovanni's at Whole Foods after I leave the braider and use my MTG concoction on my scalp... I'll post pictures (I just learned how!)...

toosexy1 said:
Thanls cmw...what leave in do you suggest? the only one i have is the ashas and it works for me? and it liquid so it wont build up. but im not sure if it will work on extensions.

I seriously did not know that one could wash braids that often. now i know :D

If you have a leave in that's been working, and it's not to thick (a liquid is best) then I would stick with it. However, I strongly reccommnend against the Infusium Leave In 23 that Robin suggest in C&G because it was incredibly drying on my hair.

If your extensions are synthenic, I would suggest only moisturising the parts of your braids that contain your natural hair as it will absorb the moisture. The synthenic part will not absorb the oil or the leave in and it will rub off on everything until it's all rubbed off (creates a mess).

I'm no-pooing right now but I def do C&G cowashes every days. (Slightly dilluted conditioner, rinse, and towel dry.) When I'm not in a plastic baggy at night I use a silk scarf and I stay looking fairly neat.

Oooooh...make sure to take pictures before you braid, and then every two or three weeks for progress check-ups...it helps with my moral when I'm feeling like being lazy.

HTH. HHG. -C

It's all been covered :)
My 2 cents - activator gels are good - I recommend Long Aid (Green Jar, sold at walgreens & walmart)
Daily Doctor - OMgosh! miracle n a bottle - softens, moisturizes, strengthens
Look for the old formula (new & improved formula is disappointing)

I have been wearing braids for years and these 2 products have made a huge difference.

Need to go stock up soon...
HTH!

what if you didnt do the crown and glory technique throughout the whole time you had your braids in and you want to take them out now. What is the best way to take the lent out and save your hair as much as possible:eek:

addydoll said:
what if you didnt do the crown and glory technique throughout the whole time you had your braids in and you want to take them out now. What is the best way to take the lent out and save your hair as much as possible:eek:

I'm about to take my braids out soon too. I kinda fell off with spraying them everyday with my cond/oil mixture. I tried to make up for it by not wearing a shower cap in the shower so they would at least get some moisture that way. I also broke my spray bottle last week too and just picked up a new one. I'm trying to be good to my hair these last few days b4 I take them down next weekend.

HTH

Back