Braids and Daily washing

It depends on how well they are done btu I wash mine 2-3 times a week. I use MTG so I HAVE to wash often.

But, I go to a good braider so I can wash often without a problem. I also get touch ups every 2-3 weeks around the edges and all redone after 6-8 weeks. If I did not do that I am sure that washing so much would not be so good.

Also, I do most of my washes with a stocking cap on and I dilute the shampoo with water. Once a week I do a wash w/o the stocking cap.

I wish I could wash with braids weekly, but my natural hair would curl up in the braid, and it would look horrible!!!

I only wash when it's time to take out the braids, which could be anywhere from 3-5 weeks between hairstyles...

I was able to wash every other day with the braids that I just took out. They were human wet-and-curl/wavy so I think it needed to be wet in order to achieve the best look......

HoneyDew said:
It depends on how well they are done but I wash mine 2-3 times a week. I use MTG so I HAVE to wash often.

But, I go to a good braider so I can wash often without a problem. I also get touch ups every 2-3 weeks around the edges and all redone after 6-8 weeks. If I did not do that I am sure that washing so much would not be so good.

Also, I do most of my washes with a stocking cap on and I dilute the shampoo with water. Once a week I do a wash w/o the stocking cap.

I do likewise, but without the stocking cap. I also do my own braids, so I freshen them up by doing various areas at different times. Usually, it is the edges or the crown. My crown grows really fast. I am also using MTG, Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner, and African Pride Braid Spray. BTW, I have grown accustomed to my MTG. The smell fades swiftly if sprayed at night. I also sleep on a satin pillow case (MTG doesn't seem to penetrate satin like it does cotton) which I purchased at Wal-mart. Also, after washing, I spray and while airdrying I tie the top part of my braids up with a silk/satin scarf causing them to lay flat. This helps with the frizz and "poof" factor. When I take care of braid like stated above, my hair is very soft when braids are taken out. I don't experience any dryness or breaking. I usually gain 2.5 -3 inches every three months in braids. There may be an increase due to the MTG. I will keep you posted.:) I hope this helps.

Furthermore, I wash my hair frequently and thorough of all products to avoid face breakouts. It works for me. When I first wore braids years ago I didn't know to do this and my forehead and areas around my hair line broke out which is highly unusual for me because I only have the occassional pimple and that is when my "relative" is visiting and I have had an overload on my crave food which is fried chicken :D . That is something else to think about when it comes to washing hair.

Last edited:
Back