Braiders? Batik vs Freetress for braiding...

Smiley79

Let me start of by saying I haven't rocked braids since high school, so I'm so out of the loop right now. A family member is offering to braid my hair to promote her braiding biz, so I'm thinking to myself "what a great protective styling opportunity"! I did some research here and on another board and I notice that Batik and Freetress seem to be the most popular brands for braiding hair. Can you all share any preferences between the two brands? (or any brand for that matter) I'd like something affordable yet decent in quality. Thanks in advance.

The left one is Freetress hair and the right one is Batik hair.

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/Vie...rtName=product_sort&sortValue=desc&type=brand

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/Vie...rtName=product_sort&sortValue=desc&type=brand

Last edited:
Whichever one is 100% Kanekalon. If they both are, I say it doesn't matter which brand. I've done this for like 10 years now, and everywhere I go people think it's human. Toyokalon, I HATE it. It looks really nice for like 2 weeks, then tangles like the devil. Kanekalon, no tangles at all. Don't put mousse on it though. Kanekalon in my experience doesn't like mousse. Just leave it be. Braid sheen and that's it.

Ive used both . if ur siggy is ur current length use freetress. I used freetress for a while when i 1st BCed. I would cut the hair in half and use that way...no tangles at all. Well, my hair got longer and bcos i would always braid to where my real hair ends, cutting in half wasnt feasible anymore, so i switched to batik (bcos when i tried to separate the freetress it would frizz). well batik looked good for 3 weeks or so but then it matted horribly. I dont know if the length had anything to do with it, I doubt it cos little sis was able to use freetress (separated although it frizzed) with minimal complaints, however she used Batik the same time I used it and she feels the same way about the hair.
Bottom line, if u want it long as in the 2nd pic ( that means no cutting in half) and you dont plan on leaving it in longer than a month, use Batik.
If u want it APL or a little shorter and u plan on leaving it in 6-8 weeks, use Freetess (cut in half)

My vote is for Batik. I currently have in the deep wave braiding hair and have had it in for about 2 months and it still looks wonderful. I get compliments all the time and people are surprised when I tell them it's synthetic. No matting or tangles! I will definitely buy this hair again!

To maintain, I spray African Royale braid spray mixed with Infusium 23 on the length of the braids and on the loose hair, I use Dermert wig conditioner.

The Batik costs more... almost double what you'll pay for Freetress.

The Freetress is a pain in the posterior because they apply some kind of goo/gunk to it... when you try to separate the "bundles" it tangles and wastes lots of hair.

You have to stay on top of combing both brands, or tangling will occur.

I know I am tardy to the party but I am a certified braider and I do not mind either of these hair brands as a WEARER. Its all in the look the client is going for. As a BRAIDER Batik handles better but I like the look of Freetress better.

I know I am tardy to the party but I am a certified braider and I do not mind either of these hair brands as a WEARER. Its all in the look the client is going for. As a BRAIDER Batik handles better but I like the look of Freetress better.

Thanks for the input...even though I haven't used them, I totally agree that based on the pics, i like the look of the Freetress patterns, but the ease of Batik seems to be the majority favorite. Let me put it this way, I plan on only keeping it in a month or two tops; I have no problem being the guinea pig and experimenting with both. :lachen: It's being done for free, and I don't want anything too small or fancy....just something to rest myhair and take advantage of some protective styling opportunity.

Back