Braid Removal Nightmare

Aisha

I removed my braids on Friday night..it took about 4 or 5 hours. I was tired so I went to sleep after taking some pics. Anyway, I washed my hair to get rid of the build up and don't you know that after air drying my hair was the most tangled mess I have ever dealt with! I mean today it took me two hours to comb and flat iron my hair today and I am still find knots! I have never had tangles or knots in my hair ever after braids and the only thing I can think of is because my hair is longer it is more prone to tangle...I don't know...maybe it is the surge I used for the three months during my braids
frown.gif
alll i know is that I won't be wearing individuals again no time soon...on the positive side...my flat iron press come nice( I used some relaxer balm by John Frieda and Farouk Silk Therapy) and I have tons of pics so as soon as I can find my camera bag I can connect to the net to upload my pics..My hair has also grown alot but I think I comb about a pound of hair out! I am waiting a week or two before I relax my hair w/Affirm or Mizani Sensitive Scalp(undecided)...So for the ladies with braids PLEASE make sure to detangle your hair carefully in the shower before air drying!

Based on my recent research, you are suppose to comb your hair out BEFORE washing. I plan on getting braids next month, and I found this step pertinent to a successful braid experience. You are suppose to comb each section out using oils, and then proceed to washing
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
Based on my recent research, you are suppose to comb your hair out BEFORE washing. I plan on getting braids next month, and I found this step pertinent to a successful braid experience. You are suppose to comb each section out using oils, and then proceed to washing
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]YUP

A product that has really helped me tons is *TAKE DOWN (hair moisurizing cream for removing braids.) Its kind of expensive, but it really does work when you're taking out locks, cornrows and individuals. All you have to do is put a handful on the tangle or knot, let it sit for ten minutes and then comb your hair out once. It removes all tangles and knots after it has set in for a minute. Also using a wide tooth comb helps. And never take out braids if you're in a rush b/c then you'll start pulling a yanking and your hair really will come out. But congrats on your growth. I can't wait to see the pics.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]YUP

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I detangle each section as I go along, using lots of moisturizers, before washing. I've tried doing it after I wash or during and I can guarantee that you'll lose alot more hair that way.

[ QUOTE ]
HairFanatic01 said:
You can find *TAKE DOWN* At most beauty supply stores. It costs around 6-8 dollars, but its well worth it

[/ QUOTE ]
I might pick this stuff up!! It has some good ingredients
smile.gif

Water, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Peanut Oil, Beeswax, Borax, Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), Vitamin E, Silk Protein, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben

I agree always comb first... I used a similar product to take out my braids but it's all natural called Royal Roots Herbal Hair Glaze. i sprayed the sections before and after taking out the braids and it was no knots

i agree with the other ladies always comb and detangle fisrt before you wash. i don't know why but the water always makes the tangles worse(speaking from experience)

that's how I went from shoulder length hair to bald.. I am sooo impatient I got frustrated and shaved my head .. now I have pencil size braids done to avoid that happening again.
that never happened when I had braids in Trinidad, mabey it is the combo of product and the water????I take mine out in 2 weeks and I have 1 inch of new growth...buying my k cutter before though and having lots ov 99c vo 5 handy.

that's how I went from shoulder length hair to bald.. I am sooo impatient I got frustrated and shaved my head .. now I have pencil size braids done to avoid that happening again.
that never happened when I had braids in Trinidad, mabey it is the combo of product and the water????I take mine out in 2 weeks and I have 1 inch of new growth...buying my k cutter before though and having lots ov 99c vo 5 handy. Ps: comb it out and apply conditioner as you go along this might help.

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
[ QUOTE ]
HairFanatic01 said:
You can find *TAKE DOWN* At most beauty supply stores. It costs around 6-8 dollars, but its well worth it

[/ QUOTE ]
I might pick this stuff up!! It has some good ingredients
smile.gif

Water, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Peanut Oil, Beeswax, Borax, Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), Vitamin E, Silk Protein, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben

[/ QUOTE ]

They are giving away free samples you just have to pay
for the postage:

http://www.millresources.com/takedown/sample.htm

Always, always, always comb the hair FIRST before you even think about washing it. If not, you'll just have a tangled mess on your hands. It takes a while, but I usually just detangle each braided piece of hair before I move on to the next.

Back