Braid Prep

Pretvl323

Hi ladies,
I'm planning on getting some braids for growth and reduced manipulation. How should I prepare my hair to go into the braids? Should I henna to strengthen? Also is it better to get kinky twists or individuals? Thanks.:grin:

I've heard of kinky twists seriously hurting the edges. I would have loved to get some until I heard this. Someone, PLEASE, tell me I'm incorrect!

I wouldn't henna before getting braids, simply because henna can be drying. Before getting braids, I would want to make sure that my hair is as moisturized as possible to prevent breakage, so I'd definitely do a nice deep conditioning.

Deciding between individuals and kinky twists is a matter of personal preference. Both can look really nice when done well. Just make sure that they are not too small and that they aren't too tight.

I always henna before braids. My hair has usually been oiled before applying the henna/indigo mixture. After I henna, I use my super-moisturizing mixture: loads of honey, sesame oil, olive oil, coconut milk and a few squirts of conditioner for consistency. I don't shampoo out the mix when I rinse so my hair is still moisturized/oiled.

I'm wearing Senegalese twists right now. Kinky twists didn't hurt my edges but I always hold the knot as they braid around my hairline and nape so there is no tension. I take great care of my hair while in braids oiling my scalp every night and spraying with a leave-in. I also still cover my head with a scarf at night. Most of the twist is my hair so I make sure to take very good care of it.

I wore braids for a year between 2005 and 2006 and never experienced breakage, just growth. I attribute that to the care I took while in braids. I also never touched microbraids with a ten foot pole. Only medium-sized box braids or kinky twists. I'm liking the look of my Senegalese twists now.

Last edited:
Ditto to Keluric! Senegalese twists has been the best option for me. And in my opinion much easier to remove than both kinky twists and micros. My senegalese twists look just like kinky twist as far a length and have a much more of a straighter appearance because of the hair used ($2.00 kenkolon). I also don't have to worry about my hair being only braided half way down the shaft with Senegalese twists as in micros.

As far as condition, I have never used henna. I precondition hair with a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner right before I have my hair done. This ensures that my hair is strong enough to withstand being in twists for the 2 months that I leave them in.

To me, the most important thing, regardless of if the style is braids or twists, is the maintainence of hair while they are in that style and its removal. A nice leave-in mixed with a braid spray is really all you need. Anything else may cause matting at the roots. As far as removal, make sure you have a lot of patience with taking your braids out. Don't be afraid to GENTLY comb each braid after you unravel the weave out of it. Washing matted hair just creates more of a mess. I can go on and on. But you really should look at growafrohairlong.com. Following her regimine for a year and half has allowed me to grow my hair from barely ear length (did bc) to current length of 1 inch from apl. She has all the steps from precondition of the hair to final removal with small videos so you can actually see how to do it. Also read the topics in our forum about crown n glory.

HTH

Ditto to Keluric! Senegalese twists has been the best option for me. And in my opinion much easier to remove than both kinky twists and micros. My senegalese twists look just like kinky twist as far a length and have a much more of a straighter appearance because of the hair used ($2.00 kenkolon). I also don't have to worry about my hair being only braided half way down the shaft with Senegalese twists as in micros.

As far as condition, I have never used henna. I precondition hair with a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner right before I have my hair done. This ensures that my hair is strong enough to withstand being in twists for the 2 months that I leave them in.

To me, the most important thing, regardless of if the style is braids or twists, is the maintainence of hair while they are in that style and its removal. A nice leave-in mixed with a braid spray is really all you need. Anything else may cause matting at the roots. As far as removal, make sure you have a lot of patience with taking your braids out. Don't be afraid to GENTLY comb each braid after you unravel the weave out of it. Washing matted hair just creates more of a mess. I can go on and on. But you really should look at growafrohairlong.com. Following her regimine for a year and half has allowed me to grow my hair from barely ear length (did bc) to current length of 1 inch from apl. She has all the steps from precondition of the hair to final removal with small videos so you can actually see how to do it. Also read the topics in our forum about crown n glory.

HTH

Back