Boyfriend pays off your student loans

I would not pay him back. It was a gift.

Some people are not used to getting large gifts. They either feel guilty or fear that it would be held over their head later down the line. However, when it comes to well adjusted people who can afford to dole out gifts of this size, your job is to be a graceful recipient. I'm not an indian giver and I am naturally generous, so I can see why this can be seen as a gift w/o any obligations.

Why does he have to be a fool though. If he got it like that, he got it like that.

OP, why does "your friend" feel the need to pay him back?

Some people are not used to getting large gifts. They either feel guilty or fear that it would be held over their head later down the line. However, when it comes to well adjusted people who can afford to dole out gifts of this size, your job is to be a graceful recipient. I'm not an indian giver and I am naturally generous, so I can see why this can be seen as a gift w/o any obligations.

Why does he have to be a fool though. If he got it like that, he got it like that.

hunnychile, this is why I said I wouldn't.

I don't need/want anybody in my face talking about "remember when I did x,y and z" for you.

This goes for anyone, not just SOs.

I don't need/want anybody in my face talking about "remember when I did x,y and z" for you.

I know what you mean, which is why I'm stating that not everyone is like that. Some people are truly generous and not manipulative. Of course it's best to use your own discretion though.

I'm saying this because I'm no stranger to receiving this kind of generosity ::shrug::

Gift. I agree with Beautyu2u (also watched enough judge judy:look:)

FH knows a guy at work who is still paying for his exes tit job and brazillian buttlift because he put it on payment plan.

Years later she has a new man and he's mad still paying out every month LOL.

Those of you who say you wouldn't let him pay... I'm, I mean my friend, is curious as to why not?

I wouldn't want to feel indebted to him or give him ammunition to stay in touch until pay off if he changes his mind. If I did decide to do it, I would def. draft papers which takes away from the act to begin with.

I try to avoid men like that, the type to ask for their gifts back after a break up (Floyd Mayweather types). It was a gift and I would not even consider repaying it.

She doesn't feel the need to do ish, lol. He hasn't asked for anything back, court shows had me curious, though.

They can talk about it all they want but it would fall on deaf ears. Guilt?What's that? :lol:

Last edited:
I'd like to think that my husband would do this but really is it his responsibility especially if the debt is incurred prior to my meeting him? or even after for that matter.
How do the courts view it?
I mean I wouldn't object to it :D

However, even if I had to pay back the loan, it would be easier than dealing with a Sallie Mae and at 0% interest lol However, they can always put a judgement against you in court which stays for 20 years. No bueno.

According to the courts, it would be a gift because he paid out money with no consideration (expectation of something in return). Further, there were no conditions attached like in the case of an engagement ring.

She would, if over 11k (is that the amt now) have to pay tax on it.

Back