Bone Straight: To be or not to be?

It really boils down to what you think is best for your hair and it definitely sounds like you know what that is.

I have a coarser hair type too (4a, I think?) and I'm texlaxed and wear my hair straight 99.9% of the time. It will be a headache until you have a head full of "ONE" texture, simple as that. If you can stay in there for the long haul, you might find that you like it. It's very similiar to transitioning to natural when you have different textures to deal with. My strands are on the finer side as well so texlaxing has made my hair 3x more voluminous, that was my reason for texlaxing. And there's different degrees of texlaxed hair as well, maybe don't leave so much of your natural curl in your hair if you decide to stick with texlaxing.

Last edited:
OP - Do what makes sense to you. I'm a long time natural and I used to straighten every now and then for a change or to see all of my length. As time goes by, I have less desire to put in the time and effort to straighten my hair even for a couple of days. I feel like it goes against my lifestyle of working out, my hectic schedule and I'm not really feeling the look.

Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for yourself.

the se regular is good, I don't have any burning, and don't feel bad going back to regular strength, because doing a texturizer is still using chemicals so mild or regular doesn't really matter in the end. what's better for our hair is no chemicals to be honest but we all know that :) and I personally like bone straight relaxed hair in the summer :)

the se regular is good, I don't have any burning, and don't feel bad going back to regular strength, because doing a texturizer is still using chemicals so mild or regular doesn't really matter in the end. what's better for our hair is no chemicals to be honest but we all know that :) and I personally like bone straight relaxed hair in the summer :)

what is your hair type? Is your hair course? I would love to stick with the SE brand if it could get me straight.

great reminder Brittster. Processing and results are dependent on hair type. I got more of a "texlaxed look" when I self-relaxed with no-lye and overprocessed slightly. I could never achieve that with a texturizer, or underprocessing with regular no-lye.

Thanks for your post. I got my hair relaxed bone straight NOT my request, and I had mixed feelings about it, I thought it meant lifeless over processed hair, but after having done for a couple of weeks I LOVE it!

This may be a very unpopular opinion, but I honestly thinking textlaxing is best left for those who have somewhat of a looser wave or curl pattern. I totally understand your post and that is the reason why I relax fairly straight. You can be bone straight w/o having your hair stuck to your head and lifelessly overprocessed.

A bit OT but relates to the above, all of my life, I've had mostly 3c hair texture and when I joined the board I started to relax w/ a lye relaxer which would definetely leave me w/ a curl pattern still. For some reason a few years ago, my hair texture changed to that of a coarser 4a (reason why I can relate to your post) and I realize that my hair doesn't behave the same anymore, I need to use a no-lye relaxer that's gentle on my scalp and gets my hair fairly straight b/c I no longer have the waves/curls I use to. If I use a lye relaxer and texlax my hair instead it will look frizzyish in some areas, a very different look than when my hair was wavier and I'd texlax it. Attached is a pic from a few yrs ago of my underprocessed hair. There is no way I could texlax my hair now and it look the same. I don't think bone straight hair is the devil and I really do think that hair types need to be treated accordingly, JMHO. I somewhat feel it's a sin to say that on this board.

I relax bone straight, but give up a couple of things in order to justify it. I hardly ever straighten, only 2/3 times a year and I only intend to relax twice a year.

I'm kind of going through the same thing... pre LHCF I used to relax my hair every 4 weeks (yeah I know...) and I would get it done at AA hairdressers in London. I hated that overprocessed flat on your head with burnt scalp hair for a couple of days then after I washed it it would be ok but still very thin. Not knowing about the board I thought that was normal and I just had thin hair:nono: then of course I discovered you beautiful ladies :grin: anywho I decided to texlax and loved the big bodacious hair I had and thought no more bone straight ever...thing is I like my hair straight (just not over processed) so I still flat iron weekly. Now, and even more after reading this tread, I think I'll go back to bone straight (done myself!) to cut out the need for flat ironing. I mean like you said, you like you're hair straight so let it be straight!

I'm kind of going through the same thing... pre LHCF I used to relax my hair every 4 weeks (yeah I know...) and I would get it done at AA hairdressers in London. I hated that overprocessed flat on your head with burnt scalp hair for a couple of days then after I washed it it would be ok but still very thin. Not knowing about the board I thought that was normal and I just had thin hair:nono: then of course I discovered you beautiful ladies :grin: anywho I decided to texlax and loved the big bodacious hair I had and thought no more bone straight ever...thing is I like my hair straight (just not over processed) so I still flat iron weekly. Now, and even more after reading this tread, I think I'll go back to bone straight (done myself!) to cut out the need for flat ironing. I mean like you said, you like you're hair straight so let it be straight!

It feels real good to know that I am not the only person that is going through this. I am glad that the thread helped you :yep:

I tried this tex-lax thing as well and it definitely not for me...I am on the flipside of the spectrum as I have very fine hair and that new growth plus the texlax is not a good combination...gotta go with the bone straight or very close to it...
co-signing completely. My fine strands can not handle the manipulation of two textures.

I've read all the responses. I think that since I'm a 4a/Texlaxed head...that recently switched to a Lye relaxer (because no-lye was really drying to my hair over time)...I'm going to consider going straighter with my new growth over time. My goal is to only relax twice a year and to use way less heat.

I would love to just rollerset and go.

That would be perfect for me and I cannot do that with texlaxed (almost natural looking) hair. I CAN rollerset and go with straighter hair.

Now the only thing I'm concerned about is my friend that had a bone straight relaxer all her life...her hair is sooo thin and long now...yikes! But again, she relaxes bone straight every 8 weeks like clock work and I only want it done twice a year...I think THAT's the major difference. Her stylist may have also overprocessed her hair by relaxing it bone straight with EVERY relaxer so often.

This is an awesome thread!

I've read all the responses. I think that since I'm a 4a/Texlaxed head...that recently switched to a Lye relaxer (because no-lye was really drying to my hair over time)...I'm going to consider going straighter with my new growth over time. My goal is to only relax twice a year and to use way less heat.

That would be perfect for me and I cannot do that with texlaxed (almost natural looking) hair. I CAN rollerset and go with straighter hair.

Now the only thing I'm concerned about is my friend that had a bone straight relaxer all her life...her hair is sooo thin and long now...yikes! But again, she relaxes bone straight every 8 weeks like clock work and I only want it done twice a year...I think THAT's the major difference. Her stylist may have also overprocessed her hair by relaxing it bone straight with EVERY relaxer so often.

I am also grateful for this thread! And I really hate to call it bone straight. Because even my hair at the straightest isn't considered "bone straight" by the stylists that I go to. But to me, it's bone straight, you know?

That is why I like to relax my own hair. I know my limits and I know how straight is straight enough for me.

My personal rendition of bone straight hair still poofs if I let it airdry. But it's NOTHING compared to what is going on with my head right now. I tell you, I can't tell the diff. between my texlaxed hair and NG.

Wow this is a GREAT thread. IA w/ the others Ajoy, I think you should just process a little straighter. I can identify for sure, my problem is a little different....my hair is just resistant to relaxer, no mater how long I leave on, smooth etc, texlaxed. Try to do a corrective...texlaxed. I guess I should be thankful that my hair is so strong, but it is annoying when it's humid or after one sweaty workout and my hair is puffy. Oh yeah, and I'm too scared to use Super.

Let us know what you decide- and best of luck with your upcoming nuptials.

This is indeed a great thread! When I first joined I thought bone straight was the devil, so many ladies seemed to be natural or texlaxed...now I'm convinced, I'm bonelaxing next time! It's going to be tough correcting the previously texlaxed hair but hopefully it'll work out. Oh and I agree that hair turns out better (to me) when you DIY...

I agree with you about your friend who gets her hair bone straight every 8 weeks, but like yourself I only get a realxer 3 times a Year.

Yes its bad to have fragile strands, and no curl pattern while trying to relax. The two textures are almost unbearable, the breakage is inevitable. Even transiting w/bkt is difficult. For some bkt smoothes just enough, but for others, its not enough.

I think Bone straight is better if you want prefer wearing your hair straight.

My daughter and I are both texlaxed. I love it, but I only wear my hair up anyway.

My daughter wants her hair flat ironed every two weeks so she can wear it down daily, so IMHO she really needs bone straight hair so that bi-weekly flat ironing could be eliminated.

Great post Eluv and I concur. I went through the same thing you did though and wound up relaxing my hair bone straight.

The first pic is what happened because I didn't take care of it. I went back to texlaxed and never looked my back. My hair is soooo super thick, I bust ponytail holders across the room but when I relaxed bone straight, all that thickness vanished as you can see in the first pic.

Great post Eluv and I concur. I went through the same thing you did though and wound up relaxing my hair bone straight.

The first pic is what happened because I didn't take care of it. I went back to texlaxed and never looked my back. My hair is soooo super thick, I bust ponytail holders across the room but when I relaxed bone straight, all that thickness vanished as you can see in the first pic.

Going bone straight isn't for everyone. It is funny how different we all are. I am glad that texlaxing is working for you. I say keep up the good work :yep:

this is why i bkt. i wanted to texlax for thickness and health, but the 2 textures were driving me crazy. it ALWAYS looked like crap.

Back