Bone Straight or Just Overprocessed?

PrettyBlackHair

How do you know if your hair is bone stright or just overprocessed? How does the two look when wet? How does the two act and hold moisture? I dont think I'm overprocessed but I just want to know for future reference. THANX!!

Oooh! (raising hand) I know this one..... :wave:

Bone staight = hair with absolutely no curl or a very slight (and I do mean slight) wave when wet.

Over processed = hair? what hair? Oh, that hair in the comb, the brush, on the floor, in the sink. Every where but where it's supposed to be: on your head.

Over processed hair is very, very weak, brittle and breaks easily. Depending on your hair type, regimen, styling methods, etc. being bone straight is just a step away from being over processed.

It's a very fine line. How do I know?

Because that was me this summer. I was using a lye relaxer so moisture loss wasn't really an issue for me. I was doing fine until my heat fiasco. You have very little wiggle room if you relax bone straight. I can't do it any more....texlaxed is better for me.

HTH:)

Last edited:

Bone staight = hair with absolutely no curl or a very slight (and I do mean slight) wave when wet.

Over processed = hair? what hair? Oh, that hair in the comb, the brush, on the floor, in the sink. Every where but where it's supposed to be: on your head.

Over processed hair is very, very weak, brittle and breaks easily. Depending on your hair type, regimen, styling methods, etc. being bone straight is just a step away from being over processed.

Because that was me this summer. I was using a lye relaxer so moisture loss wasn't really an issue for me. I was doing fine until my heat fiasco. You have very little wiggle room if you relax bone straight. I can't do it any more....texlaxed is better for me.

:lachen: @ the bolded. Amarech's right. I'm bone straight and there is only a slight waviness to my wet/airdried hair. Severely overprocessed hair is very weak and mushy:nono:. It snaps at the slightest pull when wet or dry.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS QUESTION!!! I've been over here wondering if my hair was this because I want it thicker. I have no breakage or issues, I just want to stretch my relaxers here and there. Whew, its just straighter than I want. :yep: Ain't that a relief!! I'm gonna stretch another week or two, then tell my stylist only relax me 90% straight. Then I'll put some oil on my hair before I go and keep it extra protected unless overlapping occurs.

Ooooohhhhh, thanks a million ladies!!!!!!

I've had both but it was too long to remember the difference. I remember at one time when my freshly relaxed hair stuck to my head like glue. No movement, No bounce:nono:, u know the sad part, i thought it was cute esp when slicked back, but now i know this is no good for my fine, thin hair. Thank god for hair boards!

:cry3::cry3: This is me right now!! Hair in the comb, in the sink, on the floor, etc--like a trail of bread crumbs. I was bone straight then--I fell over that fine line. My advice is to be careful. A little texture is a good thing.

Back