Blowout has me confused

• Thread starter Thread starter JenniferMD
  • Start date Start date
J

JenniferMD

I should have never gone to that Dominican salon because now I'm all confused. My hair is ultra straight from the blowout and I don't know if I should go completely natural and get blowouts once a month or just get a texturizer every 4 months.

The only bad thing about going completely natural is that I'll never be able to do my hair again. Not because I can't but because I won't; it took me 4 hours to tame my newgrowth after braids. I'd go to the Dominican salon once a month for blowouts. Ok, maybe every two weeks because that would mean I'd only be washing my hair once a month.

If I get the texturizer I can still mantain my own hair and just get retouches every 4 months. What if I don't like the texturizer? See, blowouts are nothing but trouble!

Natural hair isn't that hard to maintain. Maybe you were struggling because you had two textures to deal with?? I'm natural, and my hair is pretty much wash and go. And most naturals are wash and go as well (with the addition of a few products of course
wink.gif

I've thought about texturizing too--not because I think it will be easier to manage (people with texturizers still have big, potentially tangled hair to deal with) but because I want longer curls, and more curl definition.

Check out www.nappturality.com for advice on natural hair. HTH!

How did it look, girl? My blowout was lasting so long, I waited over a week to wash my hair. Now it's back to puffy roots. But hey, if I can take a break from perms, I'm all for it. Did you just get the roots blown out?

Wow! Your hair looks so good! Are you planning on doing a big chop if you go natural? Would you chop if you got a texturizer?
My first instinct is to tell you to go natural b/c if you don't like it you can always texturize. But if you can get your hair looking like that without cuttin it, then I would just keep getting the blow outs.
Either way, you still have beautiful hair. I love it!

That's a blowout???? I need the blow dryer they have. What's the wattage on professional blow dryers. I might have to invest in one if I'm going to go natural. I'm still trying to decide too, JenniferMD. This Saturday will be 9 months of new growth. My hair is so thick though and I also was thinking about a texturizer but I don't think the thickness is going to be helped and that's what my manageability is all about. **Sigh**. I'm probably going to go back to the relaxer in May.

I'm 9 months post relaxer witht that blowout ladies! Itsn't it amazing? I still touch my roots because I can't believe it! My cousin drove 1 hour to my house because she couldn't believe how straight I was telling her my hair was without a relaxer. She just couldn't settle for pics, she wanted to run her fingers through my hair (she is a trip!). Anyhoo, yes I will do the big chop if I got to a texturizer because I want to start out fresh. My hair had the same problem that Leejure had, from my ear down to the bottom of my head the hair is significantly shorter than the top half of my hair and I hate it. But with the braids and me stretching out my relaxer the back of my hair has done a lot of catching up and I wouldn't mind cuting the top half of my hair to met the back...that would pretty much make me completely natural. I think I'm going to do the big chop with my next visit to the Dominican salon. Will I come back with a texturizer or just a head full of natural hair????? We shall all find out at the same time because I'm still not sure
smile.gif

Yeah, I wasn't sure how "straight" any blowdryer would get my hair. Its been a week and my hair is holding up great! Maybe I should keep track of how long this last with weekly pics.

Jen, I think that you may be able to get the same results if you get a commericial blowdryer. It takes practice, but I learned how to get my hair just as straight as the Dominicans do. I tried several blow dryers from Sally's and they just were remotely close to what the Dominicans used. I finally broke down and spent $70 on a Turbo 1500 (it's only 1300 watts), but it's the same blower that all of the stylists in my salon use and I get awesome results.

I'm going to find out if my stylist can do a blowout. I can't get my egdes relaxed for 4 months. I wouldn't mind getting this done until the 4 months are up.

I forgot to add, your hair looks wonderful, Jennifer. How long does a blowout lasts? Does it work on coarse 4b hair?

Thanks Webby and DigitalRain, i'm not sure how long it will last. I'll keep track of my hair though.

Webby, I'm not sure if I want to blowdry my hair anymore, I'm just lazy and when I blowdry my hair it looks really dry. The dominicans blowdried my hair and didn't add any products and it looked so shinny. How did you accomplish the shine?

My friends recommended liquid leave-in, but it was making my hair hard and stiff. I stopped using the liquid leaving, started using just a bit of Nexxus Headress with a dot of Potion 9. After blowing my roots only I apply just a wee bit of perfect for perms cream. I get just enough shine w/o weight.

Now I'll admit, if I were living in NYC right now, I'd be at my salon every week, but I can tell you that you can definitely get your hair to look salon perfect. Ask CarmelHonee...her hair comes out nice too.

I really want this technique. What do they use to keep the roots straight at the roots? A brush?? What???? ****heading over to ebay to see if there's a turbo 1500***

GMMP, I've never seen that dryer at e-Bay I just sent someone a link to order from the Internet. It has two speeds and 2 temps, and gets HOT.

It's made in Italy, so if it says anything else, you know it's the wrong one.

As for keeping my roots straight, I just try to get my roller set as tight as possible, and don't use any liquid leave-in, as that stuff acts more like a setting lotion.

I use a round boar's hair brush to pull the roots taut and then blow, but keep that blower moving...don't want to leave it one spot for too long, risk burning.

Thanks, webby. I'm trying to win an 1875 watt dryer on ebay now. It's made by Rusk. If this can get my roots straight like Jen's, I may just go natural or texturize. Oh, who knows anymore. I give up.

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
I may just go natural or texturize. Oh, who knows anymore. I give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You startin' to sound like me

JenniferMD, your hair is beautiful. Which album are the pictures of the recent blowout in?

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
Jen, I think that you may be able to get the same results if you get a commericial blowdryer. It takes practice, but I learned how to get my hair just as straight as the Dominicans do. I tried several blow dryers from Sally's and they just were remotely close to what the Dominicans used. I finally broke down and spent $70 on a Turbo 1500 (it's only 1300 watts), but it's the same blower that all of the stylists in my salon use and I get awesome results.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right.. you can do it.. it just takes practice if you are not use to doing it yourself.. you just have to get a good blowdryer..a professional one.. it's all about the heat.. not really as much about the wattage.. I like Salano's personally..

actually webby, now that you think about it, my old stylist used to blow dry my roots really straight when i was in need of a touch up

LiLi, my pictures are in my public album down at the bottom, it's not in one of the folders.

WOW ... how beautiful! I left a comment/questions in your album (hope you don't mind).

Jennifer, I think that your hair looks great, nice and full with that blowout.
up.gif

Actually, one of the reasons that I am going natural is because I know that if I ever wanted my hair straight that I could get a blowout at a Dominican salon. I thought about it and was wearing my hair up like 90% of the time. I didn't see the use in relaxing it if I was only going to wear it straight and down for just one week out of twelve. For that, I could be natural and go to a Dominican salon to acheive the same results
smile.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

Jennifer, I saw your blowout pics, and your hair is beautiful! And you have a nice natural texture: 3c curls?? Girl, you don't NEED a texturizer!

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
actually webby, now that you think about it, my old stylist used to blow dry my roots really straight when i was in need of a touch up

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned to tell my stylist not to blow the entire length of my hair many years ago. As soon as I started blowing my roots only I retained my length, my hair had much more body and I didn't get as many split ends.

Back