Blow drying natural hair techniques?

Channy31

I really want to start bring able to bow dry ,y hair straight enough so I don't need to flat iron.

I basically hate my hair dead straight so always use heat less curls or curlers to create this. The problem is that this takes a lot of time and heat. If I could blow dry my hair straight and follow that up with heatlessly curling my hair it would cut wash day down by a lot.

Tips please?
Need everything?

Also, I have a really cheap blow drier. Should I invest in a better one?

Hello I have the same issue. And just 1 hour ago I orderd this on ebay to go with my blowdryer(Ireland here).

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/360561726603?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This attachment is long lasting and does not melt and fits most blowdryers (if you need help on how to attach it to your blowdryer just check youtube there are 3 videos at least on the topic).

As a blowdryer I have a Remington (the Wahl Power Pik sucks to be honest my hair was so dry after all the DC and steaming I gave it to my SO).

Here is a video for technique: http://youtu.be/57rRdJj-464

Great detanglers are just as important as heat protectant(a two in one is even better). Pull hair straight while blow drying(whether you use a comb or brush to blow dry). Don't use the blow dryer to detangle, detangle first and use the blow dyer to dry/straighten. I do think you should invest in a good blow dryer, especially if you are going to begin blow drying more often. Quality blow dryers dry the hair more efficiently and last way longer that the cheap ones. Start off slow. It is not not normal to loose more hair blow drying then you would loose if you were just detangling without the blow dryer. If you start off with a slow pace you will notice how much hair you are loosing and be able to stop if you see an issue.

Last edited:
Great detanglers are just as important as heat protectant(a two in one is even better). Pull hair straight while blow drying(whether you use a comb or brush to blow dry). Don't use the blow dryer to detangle, detangle first and use the blow dyer to dry/straighten. I do think you should invest in a good blow dryer, especially if you are going to begin blow drying more often. Quality blow dryers dry the hair more efficiently and last way longer that the cheap ones. Start off slow. It is not not normal to loose more hair blow drying then you would loose if you were just detangling without the blow dryer. If you start off with a slow pace you will notice how much hair you are loosing and be able to stop if you see an issue.

Do you recommend a comb attachment

Hello I have the same issue. And just 1 hour ago I orderd this on ebay to go with my blowdryer(Ireland here).

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/360561726603?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This attachment is long lasting and does not melt and fits most blowdryers (if you need help on how to attach it to your blowdryer just check youtube there are 3 videos at least on the topic).

As a blowdryer I have a Remington (the Wahl Power Pik sucks to be honest my hair was so dry after all the DC and steaming I gave it to my SO).

Here is a video for technique: http://youtu.be/57rRdJj-464

Thank you very much

Do you recommend a comb attachment

Yes:
I have used both a comb attachment and a concentrated nozzle with brush depending on which one I spot first on wash day. The comb attachment is easier to use when you are just getting the hang of it. The concentrated nozzle and brush work great too but it took me a little longer to effectively learn that method of blow drying. One thing to consider: I replace comb attachments as needed( as soon as they snag my hair because the seam begins to separate or a tooth breaks I throw it away and just buy a new universal one, about once a year). I haven't had to replace my hair brush or concentrated nozzle in the past 7 years.

Have you tried the tension method? I prefer it over comb attachements, its a whole lot less manipulation.

Like Lylddlebit said, make sure your hair is well detangled and sectioned before, use a good leave in and heat protectant. The key is not high heat, but use small sections, hold the hair really taught while you blow it and and run the dryer slooowly down the hair.

To make sure the ends get smooth I hold the ends taught with a denman-like/ detangling brush. Aslo you can focus the dryer on the roots and middle parts first, since they take the longest to dry and then move down to the ends.

Here's a tutorial that shows most of what I've mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUJxtl9InU

Have you tried the tension method? I prefer it over comb attachements, its a whole lot less manipulation.

Like Lylddlebit said, make sure your hair is well detangled and sectioned before, use a good leave in and heat protectant. The key is not high heat, but use small sections, hold the hair really taught while you blow it and and run the dryer slooowly down the hair.

To make sure the ends get smooth I hold the ends taught with a denman-like/ detangling brush. Aslo you can focus the dryer on the roots and middle parts first, since they take the longest to dry and then move down to the ends.

Here's a tutorial that shows most of what I've mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUJxtl9InU

Thank you, I haven't a tried it but I will

I bought this blowdryer by andis & I love it. I blowdry in 8 sections. I think blowdryers with attachments are the easiest to use. I use the wide tooth attachment with this blowdyer

Andis_Gold_Blow_Dryer.jpeg

Then I use steam rollers

Before blowdrying I use this as a heat protectant & moisturizer

220.jpeg

For extra heat protection while blowdrying I also use this

IC_HAIR_POLISHER_HEAT_PROTECTOR_SPRAY.jpeg

Attachments

• 41IKPricGRL._SX300_.jpeg
    41IKPricGRL._SX300_.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 30
I straightened my hair yesterday for 2nd time since going natural.
I used low heat with boar bristle paddle brush. IC hair polish heat protector and crisco!! the shortening seemed to help a lot!!

0004010282105_300X300.jpg

I have this one and love it......I have always used a blow dryer with a comb attachment while relaxed and natural. Detangle first.

I bought this blowdryer by andis & I love it. I blowdry in 8 sections. I think blowdryers with attachments are the easiest to use. I use the wide tooth attachment with this blowdyer

View attachment 195559

Then I use steam rollers

Before blowdrying I use this as a heat protectant & moisturizer

View attachment 195563

For extra heat protection while blowdrying I also use this

View attachment 195565

I have that dryer and do this almost exact except different products. :grin: I use caruso steam curlers.

0004010282105_300X300.jpg

I have this one and love it......I have always used a blow dryer with a comb attachment while relaxed and natural. Detangle first.

yep! i love the hatchet dryer! i have never looked back since getting one! I love the brush attachment!:yep:

The one I have is by conair. 3 years going strong!

yep! i love the hatchet dryer! i have never looked back since getting one! I love the brush attachment!:yep:

The one I have is by conair. 3 years going strong!

I've never used the brush attachment how does that work? When? How? lol

I've never used the brush attachment how does that work? When? How? lol

its just like the comb attachment. i like the spacing of the brush better than the comb. plus the brush has more flexible bristles and pulls out any shed hair so flat ironing is a piece of cake.

i do not know if other brush attachments are more rigid because I have only used the one I am currently using now.

How do you guys minimise damage whilst blow dying?

deep condition often with both protein and moisture,use a heat protectant, mkae sure hair is well detangled AND shed hairs are removed, don't keep the dryer in one place to long and don't do it too often!

Back