Blending 4ab hair with bobraz

carameldimples

I am looking to get an install of bobraz. I have my first weave in and I am addicted now as it is making my first summer of transitioning (planned long termer) a breeze. Right now I have a full sew-in but I want a more natural look with my next one. I am considering bobraz or some kind of kinky curly hair so the contrast is not so great. Are there any 4abers like myself who've worn bobraz and blended it well? If so what worked bet braidouts, twistouts, small rod etc? Your assistance is greatly appreciated. TIA/HHJ

ETA: my terrible grammar from my phone

Last edited:
I just purchased some and plan to twist or braid out my leave in. I am 4b natural.

There are some members that have used this hair. Just search bobraz and you should be able to find a few photos.

I am texlaxed/relaxed. I sometimes twist my leave out, flat twist it, or use a yellow rod rollers. I get the best results by flat twisting with a roller on the ends

Most people do a braid out or twist out on the leave out. That should work. I usually wet my hair and gel it down but I'm a 4a.

Flat twists worked great when I wore this hair. Be sure to integrate some of the weave hair into your flat twist so that it'll blend really well when you take down the twist.

Last edited:
Great tips! I knew you guys would give great advice! I can't wait until July when I take down my current install, hopefully I can attain a more natural look, some days I feel like this full sew-in looks wiggy but I'm still loving the ease of maintenance, styling options and the fact that my hair is just being left alone in the process! I do plan on a 3 to 4 week wig break in between so that my scalp can breath after being covered these 8 weeks. I guess I am sort of hiding my hair for the summer during this transition......weaves and wigs are now my newest obsession. I've literally made a hair plan thru next summer mixed with weaves and wigs....I do plan to wear it out this fall when I visit my granny in NYC and hopefully I will be a thick MBL by then :) I'm rambling now but thanks again for the tips I will do some test runs to try and match it before I get it installed. HHJ/G ladies

I got micros on the edges although now I think I may be able to blend it with a twist/braidout

LadyPaniolo Que???? Mildew???? Does your hair not get dry after washing it with the install in??? Is your hair porous and holds on to moisture? You got me feeling my braids now, LOL, I washed last night, trynna make sure they are drying under my tracks, LOL...dang they are still a little wet but its still early, LOL

I made a bobraz wig to wear while transitioning. I would braid or twist my leave out with the bobraz for perfect blending.

yall making me want to buy some bobraz!!! I heard it sheds a lot but it looks so natural!!!( Nothing that some Dritz can't fix!!:lachen:)

hmmm... after reading everyone's responses i seriously have to say this is a perfect example of 'her 4b is not my 4b' and a great example of why focusing on curl pattern doesn't cut it for most purposes. blending well w/ a weave is partially about curl pattern (or lack thereof) but is mostly about texture matching IMO. it's much easier to match a curl or not after the fact and near impossible to match a texture. also this thread needs pics BAD. one person's idea of blending 'perfectly' may not be your own OP.

my experience of blending w/ bobraz has been pretty horrid. i attempted it because i was assured it was possible from a few sources and i had to order online, sight unseen.

i think a silky 4a can blend well w/ this hair. a highly textured natural 4b... if we all have the same definition of 4b... is just not going to blend no matter how many twist outs you do. the reason is that the twist outs will help you to match the curl pattern, but bobraz is fairly silky hair. unless you have some kind of chemical in your hair it will be difficult to match that texture. it's not all about the curl.

pics are needed so here is mine. hopefully others will add their own and this thread can become a useful resource for OP and everyone else w/ this question (i would've killed for something like this a month ago when i decided to purchase the hair).

in this pic you can clearly see my non shiny (but healthy) hair against the super glossy bobraz. and i really do everything i can to bring down the gloss. and have less then an inch left out out. but really? no.

not saying the hair isn't glam, it is. but there are better matches. try to find hair described as 'afro kinky curly'. google that term and you'll find LOADS of images matching it.

HTH

Attachments

• IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 167
apologies for the darkness of these pics... i tend to take photos w/ my macbook... and clearly tend to take them in the dark :look:

but i think even from dimly lit images you can tell that the hair i have in is AFRO and is very different from the silky curliness of the bobraz.

*note: these are from different periods, different hair. the rounder face tells me these are all from last year. so i don't have a specific brand for everyone to use, just a guideline that for our hair type, if natural, look for afro textured kinks rather than the bobraz type hair.

/end of PSA

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-08-08 at 18.59.jpg
    Photo on 2010-08-08 at 18.59.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Photo on 2010-08-26 at 08.36 #4.jpg
    Photo on 2010-08-26 at 08.36 #4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Photo on 2011-03-02 at 23.17 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2011-03-02 at 23.17 #2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Photo on 2010-08-05 at 13.47.jpg
    Photo on 2010-08-05 at 13.47.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 154
@LadyPaniolo Que???? Mildew???? Does your hair not get dry after washing it with the install in??? Is your hair porous and holds on to moisture? You got me feeling my braids now, LOL, I washed last night, trynna make sure they are drying under my tracks, LOL...dang they are still a little wet but its still early, LOL

My hair takes forever to dry, which may well be a porosity issue, I dont know. My hair has always been that way. But when I did weaves, my natural hair was very long and thick, so there was almost no space for air to get through and allow the moisture to evaporate. Hence, mildew :cry3: Obviously lots of women don't have that problem (lucky them) so basically I just use wigs *shrug* it's easier for me.

I want so brobratz so bad where can I get it for less then 80 because I only have 79 on my card... I have been stalking blackhairmedias thread.

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

nzeee Thanks so much for your helpful post. You are so right I was thinking of emulating the curl pattern/color and had not considered it might be too silky of a texture....what type of hair is that on pic 4??

nzeee are you talking about making a wig, chile I don't have those skills, lol.... or do you mean getting a closure? If I go the closure route, if I leave my edges and nape out can I still a pony with a closure

Has anyone heard of this brand:

http://www.lanikshair.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=88

any feedback...it says it emulates 3c/4a...I just need something that is highly textured and not shiny....I guess I have about a month to hunt, I may take this weave down in a couple weeks and wig it up a couple of weeks, that way I can plait, twists my hair and go to the BSS and try and do some texture tests...man this hair weave stuff and blending is serious biz, lol...I do want it to look right though, no need in spending money for hair and install and looking a ham, so my diligence will pay off :)

@PPGbubbles You and Your hair looks lovely, thanks for posting, how much did you leave out if any and do you have coarse or fine textured hair? Nzeee got me thinking now and I don't know how well I can blend my coarse hair if its extra silky and shiny....I know it might sound strange but is bobraz a little dull??? I think twists/braids can mimick the curl pattern, yours does not look overly glossed and shiny it looks good, when I look at it online at least HC it looks kinda shiny.

ETA: PPGbubbles your post makes me feel a little better, you did a great job with everything blending and all :)

Last edited:
@PPGbubbles You and Your hair looks lovely, thanks for posting, how much did you leave out if any and do you have coarse or fine textured hair? Nzeee got me thinking now and I don't know how well I can blend my coarse hair if its extra silky and shiny....I know it might sound strange but is bobraz a little dull??? I think twists/braids can mimick the curl pattern, yours does not look overly glossed and shiny it looks good, when I look at it online at least HC it looks kinda shiny.

ETA: PPGbubbles your post makes me feel a little better, you did a great job with everything blending and all :)

carameldimples

The hair is slightly dull. That what made me fall in love with it because I do not have silky/shiny hair.

I left out a small U-shaped horse shoe of hair. I tooks pics of the leave out hair, it is in the thread I made.

I followed this video for tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do4GVGj1cq4

Its all in your technique! I have even used the model model hair she used in the video. But I prefered Boh Braz.

Back