BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES!!!

I'm a big fan of Blackstrap Molasses. The first time I used it was after I saw a thread on it on BHM - in regards to it stopping breakage. It was just what I needed as I was experiencing excessive breakage. It worked really well for me and pretty much stopped the breakage in its tracks.

A few posters in that thread believe it's a protein treatment. I'm not entirely sure about this theory, as many (including mine) bottles of molasses say they contain no protein at all ... so I don't really see the logic there.

The molasses treatment does, however, strengthen hair LIKE a protein treatment would. I gather it's just some other substance in it that does the job, similar to how henna or cassia strengthen via tannins.

Some mix it with other stuff like eggs or oils. I've tried it with eggs a few times and thought it worked better when I used straight molasses. The reason I haven't used it in a while was because it seemed to changed my hair colour and give it a brown tinge... that said, my hair has always kinda been a light colour ... so may be I was imagining things. But if I was to ever experience another bout of breakage, I wouldn't hesitate to grab my jar again. It worked reeeeaaaaaallllyyyy well.

ITA with this post. I use it as a prepoo in oil for breakage. I have a garlic/blackstrap molasses pre-poo recipe in my fotki to combat shedding and breakage in one shot:grin:. It really does act like protein because of it's strengthening properties, internally and externally. I sometimes put a couple of Tbs in my tea. Oh, and I always make sure to DC my hair after a molasses prepoo with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

ITA with this post. I use it as a prepoo in oil for breakage. I have a garlic/blackstrap molasses pre-poo recipe in my fotki to combat shedding and breakage in one shot:grin:. It really does act like protein because of it's strengthening properties, internally and externally. I sometimes put a couple of Tbs in my tea. Oh, and I always make sure to DC my hair after a molasses prepoo with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Absolutely!

I use blackstrap molasses as well. I mix it with hone olive oil wheat germ oil and a little apple cider vinegar. I use as a deep conditioner, and it makes my hair incredibly soft and shiney . Molasses has a lot of a natural form of sulphur which is good for hair strength and growth as well.

I'm a big fan of Blackstrap Molasses. The first time I used it was after I saw a thread on it on BHM - in regards to it stopping breakage. It was just what I needed as I was experiencing excessive breakage. It worked really well for me and pretty much stopped the breakage in its tracks.

A few posters in that thread believe it's a protein treatment. I'm not entirely sure about this theory, as many (including mine) bottles of molasses say they contain no protein at all ... so I don't really see the logic there.

The molasses treatment does, however, strengthen hair LIKE a protein treatment would. I gather it's just some other substance in it that does the job, similar to how henna or cassia strengthen via tannins.

Some mix it with other stuff like eggs or oils. I've tried it with eggs a few times and thought it worked better when I used straight molasses. The reason I haven't used it in a while was because it seemed to changed my hair colour and give it a brown tinge... that said, my hair has always kinda been a light colour ... so may be I was imagining things. But if I was to ever experience another bout of breakage, I wouldn't hesitate to grab my jar again. It worked reeeeaaaaaallllyyyy well.

it wasn't your imagination.
iv'e read elsewhere, on a natural cures website , that molasses darkens the hair. i am not sure if they meant the hair that you already have on your head or the new hairs growing out; but im deffinately sure i read an older women said she continued to use it until her greys were black agin.

also it seems on the same website ppl who took the molasses internally for overall health. said they experienced health benefits but................................... hey also experienced weight gain from taking a couple teaspoons full each day. i guess if you arent active you may not wanna take it too much.

I use blackstrap molasses as well. I mix it with hone olive oil wheat germ oil and a little apple cider vinegar. I use as a deep conditioner, and it makes my hair incredibly soft and shiney . Molasses has a lot of a natural form of sulphur which is good for hair strength and growth as well.

Add bananas and you'd have the caramel treatment.

Are you ladies using sulphured or unsulphured molasses? All the types I see at the grocery store are one or the other. Is there a difference besides the sulphur?

I was going to ask this next

I saw the answer, but then someone else said the sulfur is good for the hair

now I'm all confused:drunk:

bumping and enjoying the read.
dont know much about it, but the few times i added it to my conditioner, my hair came out great, but it seems as though i have a hard time washing it out. anyone else have this issue?

Somebody tell real quick which one to get, the one with sulphur or the one without

which one for internal use and which one for hair

help! I'm about to run out and try to get some in a few

the one without sulfur!!! the one with sulfur is unhealthy for internal use and i have never tried that one on my hair either, the unsulfured one does a wonderful job.

I was going to ask this next

I saw the answer, but then someone else said the sulfur is good for the hair

now I'm all confused:drunk:
It's the unsulphured that's supposed to have all the benefits, from my research on the internet. You want it in it's purest form. That's for internal. I only use it for internal so I can't tell you about external uses.

It's the unsulphured that's supposed to have all the benefits, from my research on the internet. You want it in it's purest form. That's for internal. I only use it for internal so I can't tell you about external uses.

The unsulphured one is the one I have too - I use both internally and externally and I get great results with it. Mine is Organic.

The unsulphured one is the one I have too - I use both internally and externally and I get great results with it. Mine is Organic.
Yeah it's important to mention that. Thanks Aggie! Make sure if you're going to take it internally that you want to get the Organic one. I got mine from wholefoods.

bumping and enjoying the read.
dont know much about it, but the few times i added it to my conditioner, my hair came out great, but it seems as though i have a hard time washing it out. anyone else have this issue?

OOOO LAWD! YES! You are not alone! Had to lather up a few times to get it out. I tried this treatment on saturday. I just heated a good anount in a small bowl for about 10seconds then just slapped it on :nono:...careful ladies..its very sticky! Next time I'd like to mix it with a lil condish. But overall..its was great!:grin:..I followed up with some of my homeade deepcondish and rinsed..blowdried in sections and pin curled..I had very little breakage which was like NONE compared to what I got lastweek! And my hair feels sooo strong but soft too. Thanks ladies!! I think BSM helped save me from one ugly set back:notworthy

OOOO LAWD! YES! You are not alone! Had to lather up a few times to get it out. I tried this treatment on saturday. I just heated a good anount in a small bowl for about 10seconds then just slapped it on :nono:...careful ladies..its very sticky! Next time I'd like to mix it with a lil condish. But overall..its was great!:grin:..I followed up with some of my homeade deepcondish and rinsed..blowdried in sections and pin curled..I had very little breakage which was like NONE compared to what I got lastweek! And my hair feels sooo strong but soft too. Thanks ladies!! I think BSM helped save me from one ugly set back:notworthy

I use it as a pre-poo added to either oil or conditioner so I never have this problem.

I use it with a deep conditioner. I do not have any problems either. I only use about a tablespoon or two. I eyeball the amount.

omg Thank you for mentioning amounts AND how to use it

cause I would be the type to just glob it on too

and be on here crying later LOL

Thanks, I tried it last night, just put in on my hair in sections and left it on for about 45 minutes. I had very little breakage compared to what I normally get. I will be using this regularly until my breakage disappears completely

omg Thank you for mentioning amounts AND how to use it

cause I would be the type to just glob it on too

and be on here crying later LOL

Oh yes Iris, you don't want to use too much of it in your mixes. I use only 2 Tablespoons in about an ounce or 2 of oil/conditioner.

I use molasses in place of honey for my honey rinses when I do wash n' go's because i didn't want the honey to lighten my hair. I use it to make my curls shiny and more defined but that's all I've ever done with molasses. I don't think mine is blackstrap though.....is there a difference between blackstrap and regular?

I'm all over this one, I went to the health food store very early yesterday morning and bought it used it in DC and my coffee.:grin:

I use molasses in place of honey for my honey rinses when I do wash n' go's because i didn't want the honey to lighten my hair. I use it to make my curls shiny and more defined but that's all I've ever done with molasses. I don't think mine is blackstrap though.....is there a difference between blackstrap and regular?
Another good question:yep:

Back