BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES!!!

I been sittin here tryin to figure out what HB is, but I cant

probably somethin real simple too LOL

hormone balance?

haemoglobin (I think it is rich in iron because it is said to increase haemglobin levels and it really did increase mine when I checked it)

Last edited:
I have used it on dry hair (I think I got this from a Miss Cherokee post) I mixed some molasses, olive oil, red palm butter and some wrtc. I let the mixture sit overnight. It smelled much better the next morning. I brushed it on and rinsed it out after about an hour, pooed and dced. My hair was incredibly soft on rinsing and felt luscious and strong at the same time. I consider it like a protein treatment without the hardness/dryness. Very messy but good. I need to do this again soon.

Some more info on BSM, this info is from earthclinic.com

Molasses Cures

Fibroid tumors, anxiety, constipation, edema, heart palpitations, anemia, arthritic pain, joint pain, and acne, just to name a few. It has also been reported that molasses turns gray hair back to its original color and is a wonderful skin softener!

http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/molasses.html

You know, I didn't take it for hair. I just got some about three weeks ago (I have fibroids and my mom and grandmother had a hysterectomy at about this time...my age, and since I haven't had kids yet--wanna wait until after my masters--I was terrified because it seems I was on their path w/ doctors saying they will have to come out soon.). Anyways I heard it was good for shrinking fibroids and making your period easier. So I can't attest to the shrinking of fibroids but I KNOW something is going on as my period was so light this time, with no pain. Also, as I'm visiting my parent's over the school holiday my mom has been taking some because it's supposed to make your body balanced, and she has noticed less grey hairs, and her hair is more vivid red like it was when she was younger (yes my mom's hair is red not died red). So anyways, I know it does something. Oddly, I noticed my hair is shinnier but I didn't think anything of it until I read this. I'll keep checking and report back. I haven't had much shedding at all but I'm also doing a tea rinse. My skin does look really good, though.

BTW I forgot to add how I use it. I just put a teaspoon in some hot tea and take it that way. I don't do the apple cider vinegar with it, because the sites I went on said to just take it straight or with tea. I don't advise taking it straight as it's super strong. BUt in tea it's quite nice and gives a slight plummy taste. I drown it out with milk and some sugar in my hot nettle tea and it works just fine.

:lachen:
LOL, y'all are brave for putting that stuff in your mouths. The taste is foul!!!!
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
It's not the taste really as it tastes like plum. It's how thick it is going down, like oil or something. That's why when you break it up in a drink that's hot, it just dissolves and leaves a faint fruity taste. Then it's very good.

I took it straight once and I will NEVER do that again.

I posted in this thread
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=179881

I love molasses, i think of it as a protein treatment. I mix it with honey and it stops breakage, makes my hair soft. Its also supposed to make your hair darker, my friend was doing my hair one day and she said it looked darker, but i was looking at the front of my head last week and its still a dirty brown/red colour so i'm not sure

Interesting. I never did it externally. My mom who has red hair, hasn't gotten darker, it's actually gotten more vibrant and mine has stayed the same but shinnier. But we're taking it internallly. I never put it on my hair, so I guess it's different depending on what you do. It's supposed to balance your system when taken internally and make it more alkaline to aid the body in repairing disease, and imbalances of all kind, and just to keep it healthy.

What does this concoction do for you? What benefits have you gotten from it? I like the taste of molasses, but I wouldn't know how to incorporate it in something like that. I use in my hair cocktail, but that's about it.

The taste isn't bad IMO you get used to it and I never gagged or anything

If you do it consistently you should see weight loss and it should be very detoxifying. I did it for two weeks while I was at school but then I came back home and didn't have the stuff. I am back at school now so hopefully in the next month I can see what it is doing for me.

ETA: Southern Tease talked about it. She adds lemon but I forget to add that most of the time.
http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/2007/12/acvbsmlemonhoney-cocktail.html

Last edited:
To OP,
It does not leave you hair strong and dry like henna or regular treatment.
In my opinion provides more moisture than stregth, it is like very very soft hair with good strength.
I use it every time I wash either as a final rinse, or just mixed with my conditioner.
HTH

It used to be one of my staples. I'd mixed it in my deep conditioner mix. I buy it at the health food store. I stopped using it because I simplified my regimen.

BS Molasses is one of the ingredients in the caramel treatment. It does the same thing as honey, but it's a strengthener and can darken hair whereas honey lightens it.

I bought mine at Whole Paycheck.

I'm also going to start drinking it daily.

wow ladies!!!

ok well I am going to start both taking this and using it for my hair!!!!!

I have a bad fibroid right now too, and it sounds like its just something too wonderful to pass up for both internal and external use

I'm really glad I asked about this

and thank you a million times for all the ladies that shared the info in this thread

I will be getting this soon and report back :yep:

...I'm with Iris! I just bought some organic BSM from Vitamin Shop yesterday. I will try it tomorrow morning as a pre-poo. I have had a SERIOUS amount of breakage in the last few weeks and I'm hoping this will help along with some garlic suppliments. Ladies, do you know if this is ok to use with heat?? Like sitting under the dryer with it? Don't want it to get stuck on my hair :perplexed...:ohwell:

I just put Redken's Butter Treat mixed with 1/2 warmed molasses on my dry hair. I will let sit for a few hours and see. It felt so luxurious when I was putting it on!

I give it to my cat for fibroids believe it or not....it works. Apparently, there are alot of different uses for BSM.

How are people getting this to melt. I bought it a few weeks ago and it's so thick that i can't get it out of the bottle. It is a glass bottle so I am afraid of putting it in hot water.

How are people getting this to melt. I bought it a few weeks ago and it's so thick that i can't get it out of the bottle. It is a glass bottle so I am afraid of putting it in hot water.

I put the amount I need onto a microwavable container and microwave for 20-60 seconds

I will say that it it i so thick you can't get i out the bottle i maybe old or you may need a new bottle. I have a bottle and while BSM is thick, it comes out as soon as I tip the bottle even slightly. I've had mine for about two months and its still going strong. So I would just check that out.

Also, has anyone used Barbados Molasses? I've seen it and its from the same company that makes Blackstrap except the label is blue not yellow...I was just wondering if it had different/same health benefits

Molasses is an excellent source of iron and potassium. you can make a Hot drink using 1 table spoon of BSM in a coffee cup of hot water - then add a little milk. YUM. and Good for you!

I only use molasses in Caramel Treats. Excellent.

Are you ladies using sulphured or unsulphured molasses? All the types I see at the grocery store are one or the other. Is there a difference besides the sulphur?

I will say that it it i so thick you can't get i out the bottle i maybe old or you may need a new bottle. I have a bottle and while BSM is thick, it comes out as soon as I tip the bottle even slightly. I've had mine for about two months and its still going strong. So I would just check that out.

Also, has anyone used Barbados Molasses? I've seen it and its from the same company that makes Blackstrap except the label is blue not yellow...I was just wondering if it had different/same health benefits

Hmm... I literally just bought it the end of december. The expiration date is not til 2010 if I remember correctly. It is thick but you need to hold it upside down for a while before getting a decent amount out. Here is what it looks like.

yhst-65052264226661_1982_191625581.jpg

Hmm... I literally just bought it the end of december. The expiration date is not til 2010 if I remember correctly. It is thick but you need to hold it upside down for a while before getting a decent amount out. Here is what it looks like.

yhst-65052264226661_1982_191625581.jpg

Ho no lol. Mine comes in a jar so I can spoon it out!

Are you ladies using sulphured or unsulphured molasses? All the types I see at the grocery store are one or the other. Is there a difference besides the sulphur?

I use unsulphered. The one that has sulpher thins the blood and hence makes your period heavier. So yeah I use unsulphered on my hair too.

http://www.innvista.com/HEALTH/nutrition/diet/molasses.htm

Molasses is a by-product of the sugar industry and formed from both sugar cane and sugar beets.
Barbados molasses is made from the first pressing of sugar cane. It is lighter in colour and sweeter than blackstrap and with a more delicate flavour. Barbados molasses has the highest sugar content and the lowest mineral content. For example, One tablespoon of Barbados molasses is about 70% sucrose and has about 2% of the RDA of iron. Barbados molasses is preferred by those who want a sweeter and lighter flavour in their baked goods.

Blackstrap molasses is formed after the last pressing of sugar cane, which amounts to about three boilings. This means that the nutritional content is more concentrated and the flavour more intense. As a result, the sugar content goes down, but the mineral content goes up. For example, One tablespoon of Blackstrap molasses is about 46% sucrose, but has 20% of the RDA of iron. Although less in Barbados molasses and much more in Blackstrap, the mineral content includes manganese, copper, iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, selenium, and vitamin B6.

Unsulphured molasses is the finest quality and a better choice healthwise. Sulphur is a preservative whose fumes are used to make sugar cane, which is picked too early, ripen faster so as to have a less bitter taste. Unsulphured molasses is extracted from the juice of sun-ripened cane. The juice is then clarified and concentrated. Sulphur dioxide is found in a myriad of products from dried fruits (contains the highest levels) and fruit juices to sausages, dehydrated peas, and alcoholic beverages. Although cheaper to buy, any product that is sulphured is not a healthy choice because the sulphur dioxide can trigger asthma attacks.

Last edited:
I use it in a homemade deep conditioner sometimes. It helps the tangles melt away! It is very thick. If you just purchased it in Dec it should be fine. I have to pour mine onto a spoon or inside a container to get any out.

how did your hair feel after washing it out?

It feels really soft yet strong with a lot of slip and no shedding but it is not as shiney as it usually is, I don't know if I did not wash it out properly. I did mix it with the Butter Treat, however Butter Treat does nothing spectacular for my hair so it was the molasses. I am not happy with having less shine though, I am used to blinging hair since I started using henna. However maybe it will look different tomorrow morning

Back