Black is boring

Lorraine

Since the age of 15 this is the longest I have gone with my natural hair color and it's killing me. I'm still allowing my hair to recover from highlights a year ago but after looking through my photo album I must say I really miss my hair being a soft auburn. It just brightens my whole face when my hair is lighter.

Should I do it?

Has anyone colored their hair and not experienced dryness nor breakage? What did you use? Brand? Permanent?

ahh I feel you on that. I am still out growing a meduim auburn. I might just get highlights though this summer, because I can notive the healthyness of my new growth

I hear highlights are murder on your hair and cause A LOT of breakage. Is this true? I have always wanted to try them but were too scared especially with my relaxed hair.

My hair is already a nice brown. From reading on this board I hear that comes from relaxers. In the summer it is even lighter. Its so pretty though. If its from the relaxer then I don't care because it looks really nice especially in the summer.

Should you try doing your own highlights don't use African Pride Highlights. The highlights looked awesome but my hair broke off slowly the following year.

If your hair is relaxed, I would say be very careful with highlights. I had streaks about 3 years ago, and they were cute for a while, but the highlighted parts definitly were drier than the rest of my hair and there was some breakage as well. Even on natural hair I think lightened hair can be drier than undyed hair. Though I think that may vary more. I have one friend that dyes her natural curls blond and they don't look dry at all. But then there's anoither girl that goes to school with me who dyes her dreads blond and they look dry as the Sahara. In any case, sometimes a girl's gotta have fun. So if you do it, baby your hair with tons of moisture.

[ QUOTE ]
jd_bdfly said:
I had streaks about 3 years ago, and they were cute for a while, but the highlighted parts definitly were drier than the rest of my hair and there was some breakage as well. Even on natural hair I think lightened hair can be drier than undyed hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. My older sister has relaxed hair, and her highlights were super dry. My younger sister has natural hair, and her highlights were super dry. Both sisters experienced a lot of breakage and annoyance. I doubt that either of them took my advice to deep condition weekly.

I wouldn't consider coloring my hair, but my little sister will try again this summer.
look.gif

I've been flirting with the idea of highlights too, for a new summer look. I'm just really scared of breakage. Has anybody done this successfully? How did you curtail the problems?

I had my natural hair colored in 2002. My hair was about 10 inches long at the time. All but one inch of my colored ends broke entirely off! But I really didn't know a lot about hair at the time. So I know that was a factor.

I've had highlights and at one time I've had all of my hair lightened to an auburn color. I loved the color--and yes, it does do a little damage (nothing extreme for me)--I felt it was worth the "look" that I wanted. People always complimented how the highlights made my face "glow". I'm getting my hair highlighted again for the summer actually.
smile.gif

I think that whether or not getting highlights will dry out your hair really depends on each individual's hair. I have relaxed hair and I have been getting highlights since I was a senior in high school....and I'll be 34 next month. My hair has never been damaged from highlights, but I have always gotten mine professionally done. I've never done them myself. My hair has been damaged since I had my first son..but that was caused by the pregnancy..not the highlights.. before that, I always had really healthy hair!! I'm mixed and when I was younger, older women use to come up to me and ask me if my mother "tinted" my hair.. at the time, I had no idea what the heck that meant..lol Had they asked if my mom dyed my hair, I would have understood.. When I was younger, I had like ashy brown, strawberry blondish hair.. it was really pretty!! But, as I got older..my hair started to get darker.. My hair is probably a dark medium brown now..but it always still turned blondish in the summer from the sun. It looks much better when it's highlighted, it's goes better with my coloring.. My opinion is that if you want highlights..GO FOR IT! I will never stop highlighting my hair. But, I would tend to think that you might be better off getting it professionally done since your hair is relaxed..if you are worrying about damage. But, like I said..it all depends on the person whether or not your hair will get really damaged and break off from highlights.. I only wait 2 weeks after getting a relaxer to get my highlights done and vice versa..and I've never had a problem with breakage.. but I only get my highlights done like every 4 months..

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
I've had highlights and at one time I've had all of my hair lightened to an auburn color. I loved the color--and yes, it does do a little damage (nothing extreme for me)--I felt it was worth the "look" that I wanted. People always complimented how the highlights made my face "glow". I'm getting my hair highlighted again for the summer actually.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which product did you use or did you get it professionally done?

I had my hair highlighted last year when I had virgin hair. It was very dry afterward. My stylist used deep Brillance hair color. I just put on tons of moisturizer everyday. It took about a week for my hair to get back to normal. I then got my very first relaxer 2 months later. My highlights were still fine. I was kind of surprised that my hair didn't get dry afterwards. I haven't experienced any breakage. So I guess it depends on what kind of color you use and what condition your hair is in when you get it highlighted.

sun-in is a natural highlight spray that is actually for blondes to go lighter. it turns dark hair (black or brown) reddish light brown depending on how much you use. you just spray it on and blow dry or go out in the sun and it automatically lightens it. the more you spray the lighter it turns.

Ingredients:
Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Chamomilla Recutita Extract (Calendula Officinalis Flower), Flaxseed Extract (Linum Usitatissimum), Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate, Dimethicone Copolyol Phosphate, Glycerin, Quaternium-80, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Disodium EDTA

I don't know about the sun in. I know about 4-5 years ago when I was getting my hair done a stylist was telling me about a girl that had been spraying sun-in on her hair all summer and how it has dried it out something aweful. She wound up having to get a lot of hair chopped off.

If you use sun in, you really have to condition your hair a lot, the peroxide dries it out like nobodies business and the redder your hair gets, the drier it will be.

I don't recommend anyone using sun-in, NOPE! Check out my album, I have color in my hair and it is still growing
wink.gif
You just have step up your hair maintenance, lots of deep conditioning.

LorraineG--When I had my whole head lightened, I did it myself with Dark & Lovely--I used the color "Honey Blond" because my hair is naturally pretty dark, so I knew the color would come out an auburn color. Of course after you first put the color in--your hair feels a little drier, but after the first wash, my hair was back to normal and it didn't break off. I hardly ever use any heat on my hair (except for sitting under a hairdryer)--so that could be a reason of why the color didn't do hardly any damage.
smile.gif

I've had my natural hair colored twice (I do them every summer) and I haven't experienced dryness.

I do daily conditioning everyday for the first 7-10 days after my hair is colored. Also do about a week's conditioning before you get your hair colored.
It might depend on the type of chemical your salon used to color your hair.

When I had a perm I would get streaks all the time and then put a red rinse over it..

I never had any breakouts and no overdrying...

It would all depend on ur hair condition BEFORE u color ur hair and u have to keep it conditioned..

Good Luck..

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
Should you try doing your own highlights don't use African Pride Highlights. The highlights looked awesome but my hair broke off slowly the following year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Years ago I used an African Pride Highlights kit and I'll never, ever use it again. My highlights were nice, but they were dry and started to break too. If I ever highlight again, it won't be blond and I won't use African Pride.

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
LorraineG--When I had my whole head lightened, I did it myself with Dark & Lovely--I used the color "Honey Blond" because my hair is naturally pretty dark, so I knew the color would come out an auburn color. Of course after you first put the color in--your hair feels a little drier, but after the first wash, my hair was back to normal and it didn't break off. I hardly ever use any heat on my hair (except for sitting under a hairdryer)--so that could be a reason of why the color didn't do hardly any damage.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I know the color you're talking about. Is it a permanent? I need to aviod peroxide and ammonia according to my stylist ages ago.

If you're worried about breakage, then why not get some color tracks sewn in. That's what I did when I wanted to bring life to my boring dark brown hair w/out having to sacrafice its health.

I had my hair permie colored and highlighted a few years ago, and it was torture on my hair. My hair became so dry and damaged, and eventually was breaking into pieces. So I ended up starting all over by getting a major hair cut.

.........Now I want to put in blonde highlights (again), I know it will go well with my haircolor. But I am terrified, there must be a way I can do this without risking my hair.

I have had professionally done hilites for almost 4 years now. I have only been on this board for almost a year so the previous years I wasn't even caring for my hair as I do now. I have never had any problems w/ dryness or breaking. My stylist uses plain ole' bleach (w/ foil)and I get them done every 6 to 9 months. They are practically grown out when I get them re-done.

[ QUOTE ]
sexycaramel03 said:
If you're worried about breakage, then why not get some color tracks sewn in. That's what I did when I wanted to bring life to my boring dark brown hair w/out having to sacrafice its health.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a good idea.

Back