black hair *the color* more excotic??

PinkPeony

I never knew that black hair is so desired within the black community.Just when I came to LHCF I noticed that something is going on reading all the compliments about *your hair is so black* and people doing color rinses to achieve JET BLACK hair.
My hair goes from looking black to brown or orangey brown in a minute but I'd say that I'am a reddish brown I even got teased as a child about it but I always liked it and thought it's cute.
Now coming here I'am just thinking *oh that's how it is*.
So my question:
Is black hair more excotic looking or healthy or why is it so popular and what about brown hair is it not desired at all?

That's a good question. I don't know. For me, I love the look of jet black hair. So much so, I too have dyed my hair jet black. As for black hair being more desireable, i don;t know. I think it's a phase. For me, I went thorugh a highlight phase, and now I just moved on to the jet black phase:)

I've been getting black rinses for years and I believe that they make the hair look healthier. Black hair also reflects light better making the hair appear really shiny. Some people have said that I look more exotic with black hair, but I think it's just because black hair has the tendency to make your features appear more prominent.

DSylla said:
i think black hair looks shinier.

i have mousy brown hair tho...

hmmm... you might be onto something but whenever I use a flash to snap a pic of my hair it automatically looks black and shiny

Thx Cutiepie and Mrs.Reiko
I wonder why black hair supposedly makes hair look healthier,maybe because it's shinier?
I always thought that brown or red hair on black people was more excotic looking then black hair....

Black hair doesn't look good on everyone, it depends on one's skin tone. I know it doesn't look right on me, too harsh. When it does match a person's skin tone, off black and jet black hair looks gorgeous!

ella said:
I never knew that black hair is so desired within the black community.Just when I came to LHCF I noticed that something is going on reading all the compliments about *your hair is so black* and people doing color rinses to achieve JET BLACK hair.
My hair goes from looking black to brown or orangey brown in a minute but I'd say that I'am a reddish brown I even got teased as a child about it but I always liked it and thought it's cute.
So my question:
Is black hair more excotic looking or healthy or why is it so popular and what about brown hair is it not desired at all?
I don't think it's exotic unless it compliments the wearers skin.
I tried jet black and also blue black and it made my skin look pale and vampire-y.
My hair is that common off black/dark brown with red highlights and on ME it looks better than black.

I dont know about black being more desireable but I LOVE the way light bounces off jet black hair...it seems so much more SHINY when its darker. My hair has noticeable shine increase with a jet black rinse.

I love jet black hair, but it doesn't look right on me. It makes my hair look fake and it doesn't look right with my skin tone. But I like dark hair because it looks healthier and it seems rich.

I like how it cover up damage really well. You can't see splits and it does capture light sheen. I like it, however, I'm going to go lighter for the summer. I like it on Persia White's character and I LOVE it on Kim Kardeshian.
Kim_Kardashian_20060601c.jpg

I'm transitioning, so the ends of my hair that still have relaxer look lighter than the rest of my hair. This gives a "damaged" appearance, especially when I wear a peacock twist with the brown ends right next to the black roots. Some people have mentioned too that naturaly type 4 hair when it is brown often looks dry even when it's moisturized.

Cutiepie7691 said:
I've been getting black rinses for years and I believe that they make the hair look healthier. Black hair also reflects light better making the hair appear really shiny. Some people have said that I look more exotic with black hair, but I think it's just because black hair has the tendency to make your features appear more prominent.

I dont know whether or not i agree that it looks more "exotic," but i can say that jet/blue black hair tends to make the hair look thicker, shinier, and overall healthier. I think its SUCH a gorgeous look! I used to dye my hair jet black all throughout college. In more recent years, Ive enjoyed my natural 1b tresses, and have also been having some fun with the Henna. But I often yearn for that jet black look that my hair used to LOVE. Its just so dern permanent, and hard to get out, that i have to be certain its what i ABSOLUTELY want before going there again, ya know?

Miss*Tress said:
Some people have mentioned too that naturaly type 4 hair when it is brown often looks dry even when it's moisturized.

Yes, I have found that to be true at times! Jet black hair does cover up damage better.

I love jet black hair. My hair looks black until I get in the sun, then the brown shows up. I will probably henna for the first time this summer to get the Jet black.

I know that when I was jet black my native american features showed more. That side of my family said I should stay with the jet black, sleek straight look. It did make me look like I had a wig on but thats just the kind of hair I have. I cant wait to indigo so I can get that color back. I do agree that it makes the hair look healthier.

I love love love blue black hair on me. The shine is incredible! I usually dye it jet black then use a blue black rinse because I hate fading. My hair is a mousy dark brown. I have been red even pink before but there is nothing like blue black hair!

Black hair always looks healthy to me. I've dyed my hair black many times (but it never stays black) and often get comments that I looked "exotic" due to the lighter skin tone and the green/grey eyes contrasting with the black hair

ella said:
So my question:

For me, I notice when my hair is jet black it looks thicker and shine bounces off of it quicker. When my hair is fried it looks more brown.

I just never did like brown hair on me. Black matches my skin tone better too.

Don't know why it is like this, but most of the most damaged hair that *I* have seen looks brown.

I don't think black hair is more exotic and whether or not some people like it is mostly their aesthetic preference. My natural hair color is kind of off black, so anything darker (jet black, blue black) just doesn't appeal to me as much as brown or red.

Isis said:
Black hair doesn't look good on everyone, it depends on one's skin tone. I know it doesn't look right on me, too harsh. When it does match a person's skin tone, off black and jet black hair looks gorgeous!

Soooooooooo True

I LOVE black hair! I have fine hair and black always makes my hair appear thicker, shinier and healthy. I can't wait to finally get my Indigo in the mail. I am relaxing in a couple of weeks, and will henna and indigo a week later. I LOVE black for me. The color also really brings out my skin tone as well.:)

Black is beautiful!

I don't know if anyone watches that interior design show on Bravo but there is a White woman on there with jet black hair and man I love her hair. It shines and "pops". It looks so very lucious.

Wish I could get a close up pic...
carisa.jpg

I think Black hair can look good on ANY skin tone! It's HOW you wear it.

Last edited:
i just love extreme colors...ive been honey blonde..redish auburn...and jet black ...with my complexion and undertones i can get away with them all...but by far my hair always look healthiest and shinnier with jet black hair ..Ive just died my hair jet black from auburn w/ blonde highlights..and im loving the black im goona keep it jet black for about 6-8 months maybe longer

I don't think black necessarily looks "exotic" but it certainly does lend to a more dramatic look. One time I tried to use a black celophane and it washed my face OUT! I looked this pale sickly yellow and I'm brown-skinned.:eek:

I don't know why it is considered 'exotic.' My natural hair color is 1B to Jet black and its ok. :perplexed I really like light brown hair with honey highlights. It goes better with my skin tone. I think black is sometimes too harsh for me.

I have seen black look reaaaalllly good on people though!

Back