Black Hair Magazines

KaramelKendra

I noticed all these magazines promotes weaves instead of natural hair care,even if some of them like SBH have a Natural Hair section the whole magazine is based on How to rock a weave and the most of the styles indicated r made with hair pieces or full weaves...My point is WHY DONT THEY EDUCATE US TO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN HAIR INSTEAD OF TELL US HOW TO PUT A WEAVE CAP ON???WOULDNT BE BETTER FOR US TO BE TEACHED HOW TO ACHIEVE A LONG FLUENT MANE?I M ESPECIALLY TALKIN ABOUT THOSE LADIES OUT THERE THAT DONT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR HAIR AND NEVER VISITED A HAIR CARE BOARD NOR HAS NOBODY WHO GIVES THEM GOOD TIPS...

I have also noticed that most of the pages in hair magazines promote weaves. I'm thinking how can people do these nice hairstyles without weaves?

WELL HAIR PIECES ARE GOOD IN ORDER TO CREATE A SPECIFIC STYLE,LIKE HIGHLIGHTED STRANDS R NICE TO ADD TO BRAIDS OR TO ANY OTHER STYLE...BUT I M NOT A FAN A WEAVES..I ONLY WEAR SYNTHETIC HAIR WHEN I GET MY HAIR BRAIDED TO CREATE A FULLER EFFECT..BUT YOU KNOW THE REAL PROBLEM IS THE MESSAGE THOSE MAGAZINES GIVIN US,BLACK WOMEN.I DONT WANT SISTAS THINKS THEY CAN GET LONG AND BEAUTIFUL HAIR ONLY WEARING A WEAVE...UR THE PROOF OF THAT!U GOT SOME BEAUTIFUL HAIR!
smile.gif

I stoped buying SBH for this very reason...that and the fact that the recycle the same old pictures. It's a great magazine for style and colour ideas and celeb updates but lacks good info on how to care for your real hair. I also take their product recommendation with a grain of salt...as far as I'm concerned, there isn't a damn thing a celebrity (who's hair I've never seen) or their stylist can tell me about how to care for the hair growing out of my scalp.
nono.gif

It's all about the money. The fake hair makers pay lots of $$$ for their ads to be placed in those magazines. They would NOT be happy if the magazine's focus shifted to caring for and growing out your own hair.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
It's all about the money. The fake hair makers pay lots of $$$ for their ads to be placed in those magazines. They would NOT be happy if the magazine's focus shifted to caring for and growing out your own hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA! It's too bad. Anyone know of some good black hair magazines or are all of them like this?

I stopped buying these magazines nearly 20 years ago (yep, they were around) because they only showed how the model "fluffed up her naturally curly hair (yada yada yada)." As a 4b, I didn't see how they were showing me anything about what to do with my hair. Now, as a more mature woman, I am made to wonder whether they were demonstrating how the model had "fluffed up her naturally curly WEAVE (yada yada yada)"? At 15, who knew?

I dont buy them anymore I may thumb threw a couple every
now and then seems to be the same old hair pics anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
KaramelKendra said:
I noticed all these magazines promotes weaves instead of natural hair care,even if some of them like SBH have a Natural Hair section the whole magazine is based on How to rock a weave and the most of the styles indicated r made with hair pieces or full weaves...My point is WHY DONT THEY EDUCATE US TO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN HAIR INSTEAD OF TELL US HOW TO PUT A WEAVE CAP ON???WOULDNT BE BETTER FOR US TO BE TEACHED HOW TO ACHIEVE A LONG FLUENT MANE?I M ESPECIALLY TALKIN ABOUT THOSE LADIES OUT THERE THAT DONT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR HAIR AND NEVER VISITED A HAIR CARE BOARD NOR HAS NOBODY WHO GIVES THEM GOOD TIPS...

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU have an excellent point here. Maybe Beverly (the founder of LHCF) could start an LHCF magazine or something and feature articles on healthy hair and women with their real, healthy hair--whether long or short.

I think that anyone who had the dough to start a magazine about black hair care that actually worked and could back it up with pictures would make a fortune. Imagine an LHCF magazine, similair to this forum with product recommendations, monthly features, and only real hair would be featured. There are enough weave magazines we don't need anymore. Regardless of whether it was Long, short, natuaral or relaxed. The main idea would be healthy beautiful hair and how to maintain it.

I am getting kind of excited thinking about it.

I mean seriously even when those stupid magazines do show hair styles w/o weaves. The styles are usually require massive amounts of heat styling and are not healthy for the hair at all.

A LHCF based magazine is something that I really would be willing to pay 4 or 5 dollars for.

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
I think that anyone who had the dough to start a magazine about black hair care that actually worked and could back it up with pictures would make a fortune. Imagine an LHCF magazine, similair to this forum with product recommendations, monthly features, and only real hair would be featured. There are enough weave magazines we don't need anymore. Regardless of whether it was Long, short, natuaral or relaxed. The main idea would be healthy beautiful hair and how to maintain it.

I am getting kind of excited thinking about it.

I mean seriously even when those stupid magazines do show hair styles w/o weaves. The styles are usually require massive amounts of heat styling and are not healthy for the hair at all.

A LHCF based magazine is something that I really would be willing to pay 4 or 5 dollars for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seriously needs to be done. I would contribute, I would buy it...because we never know who is actually lurking these boards stealing ideas to trademark and market as their own a few months or years down the road...things like conditioner washes, baggie method, product challenges, growth challenges, etc...I wouldn't be surprised at all that actual hair companies have people whose only job is to go out on the internet and check boards like these to get "real life" testimonies. Just a thought.
bookworm.gif
I love LHCF and I would HATE to see it taken advantage of.
frown.gif

That's an interesting thought Micarae. I don't want to ever see that happen to LHCF. At least everything we post is dated and is a permanent record on this board.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:

YOU have an excellent point here. Maybe Beverly (the founder of LHCF) could start an LHCF magazine or something and feature articles on healthy hair and women with their real, healthy hair--whether long or short.

[/ QUOTE ]
THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!SHE MIGHT WANNA TAKE IN CONSIDERATION THAT!ARTICLES ABOUT REAL WOMEN WHO MADE IT THROUGH THEIR HAIR CHALLANGES,WOMEN TRYING TO ACHIEVE BEAUTIFUL HEALTHY HAIR SHARE THEIR MISTAKES AND KNOWLEDGE.. ..REAL STORIES..REAL HAIR...THAT S A GREAT IDEA!
grin.gif
grin.gif

I was thinking about LCHF mag, I dont wear fake hair at all, so it makes me very angry, and I dont perm so, I need something that is looking out for me, I will only buy BSH, if it had something that I wanted, but I have noticed that forever, I would so subsribe too LHCF Mag, come on I want too be the photographer
Flahssssss.gif
put in the ladies of the month, time lines , ohh
love.gif

i also stopped buying black hair magazines for the same reason. it is very disappointing to look a a variety of weave styles. i'd love to see features on how to style hair after a press or a set. not all black women wear weaves.

I also stopped buying hair care magazines because almost all the styles for medium to long hair are done on full weaves or hair pieces, that and the fact that the pictures are recycled. I read books now and visit LHCF often for tips.

i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one frustrated with hair magazines. it just burns me up when i look at the so called "natural hair styles" and they're using fake hair. how can it be natural if its fake?

Back