Why constantly protective style with weaves that dont resemble your hair texture?

I can think of three reasons:

1. They prefer the look of straight hair or slightly wavy hair. They may be natural for reasons like hair health, not anything deep/political.
2. They think straighter hair (weaves) are easier to care for, which they can be.
OR
3. It's just easier to find/buy relaxed-texture hair...again, not that deep.

The first two reasons are the same reasons why I relax my hair. I don't like weaves, but I like how straight hair looks and I find it easier to care for. That's why whenever my friends who transitioned with or protective style with straight weaves preach to me about relaxers, they get the side-eye. My sister transitioned with wigs and she washed, detangled, and braided her hair once a week, so she was still learning how to take care of it. Actually, she already knew how to care for natural hair because my niece is still natural.

Extension Plus has Relaxed texture weave I hear that matches 4a/b hair. Believe me, if those prices were cheaper, I don't doubt many women would be rocking it,lol.

This is what I wear when I want a straight look and I love it!! I agree that it closely matches AA 4A/4B texure..I don't know if people who prefer silky hair would like it though because it is definitely not silky..my real hair is not silky that's why I stay away from virgin remi hair..
When I wear curly weave, I don't wear the virgin curly weave because my hair looks nothing like Indian or Malaysian 2C curls, I stick with kinky curly weave..

I think this question was written for ppl like me...Just BCed on May 30 and got a straight sew-in (Saga Remy 1B) a week later. Why? bc I wake up at 5am every morning and I don't have time this summer to wash my hair every morning and get it to do what I want it to...It's much easier to spray my braids at night, put a scarf on my hair, wake up, take it off and go. That's literally all I have to do with the straight hair...don't even have to flat iron it and it looks perfectly fine. It's easy, I can let my natural hair grow undisturbed, and it looks natural (by natural I mean not weavy-looking). That's why.

Last edited:
MegB29203 I completely agree with that, that's why I am weaving it up this summer!!! I have been transitioning for 8 months and just wanted a summer break. I also have 4 natural daughters so I am very familiar with handling natural hair.

Weave is supposed to be easy. Curly/wavy weave regardless of what texture it is imitating is no easy task. Why sew weave in your head that takes as much effort as your real hair? :rolleyes:

SuchaLady is it a lot of work...I didn't know that, but oh well, my little sis is sewing it in tomorrow so I shall see, I look forward to it, I pinned a piece in and braided it with my hair and loved how closely it matched my braid-out texture....you are right it will be more work having to braid and rebraid (after thinking about it), but I just didn't like the full sew-in look...the beautician I went to closure skills suck, it was coming up by week 5!!! And she glued it in, which I didn't want any glue on my hair, but I am hijacking now and off topic so let me hush....

carameldimples Im sure you will love it. If you take care of it, it shouldnt be too bad.

@SuchaLady is it a lot of work...I didn't know that, but oh well, my little sis is sewing it in tomorrow so I shall see, I look forward to it, I pinned a piece in and braided it with my hair and loved how closely it matched my braid-out texture....you are right it will be more work having to braid and rebraid (after thinking about it), but I just didn't like the full sew-in look...the beautician I went to closure skills suck, it was coming up by week 5!!! And she glued it in, which I didn't want any glue on my hair, but I am hijacking now and off topic so let me hush....

But this was not what this thread was about. Had nothing to do with wating women to make a statement, but having less women frustrated with their texture.

I know want you mean, although it did come out sounding a LITTLE snippy. Some of us are not into dealing with a twa and want the versatility and protection of a wig or weave. I have to admit that as my natural hair has gotten longer(the back is collarbone length) it has become easier to work with. I also do more things with it. I still admit though that especially in the summer , I prefer to do my reggie then do my 2 strand twists and wig it.My hair is growing nicely underneath. Also, being here on this board, we have plenty of support to get better and better at dealing with our various hair textures whatever point we are at in our haircare journey :)

They don't make weaves that are my texture. Sure they make weaves that mirror 'type 4' hair, and some even tiptoe into the 4b area, but they don't act like my hair. My hair has never tangled and matted like some of these picked put curly weaves...

They don't make weaves that are my texture. Sure they make weaves that mirror 'type 4' hair, and some even tiptoe into the 4b area, but they don't act like my hair. My hair has never tangled and matted like some of these picked put curly weaves...

IrrationalThoughts Have you tried 100% real human hair that's kinky? I keep hoping someone will try it and share whether it straightens like our hair does and then curls back when wet like our hair, etc. :poke: Wanna be our guinea pig? :eyebrows2

Weave for me is about variety. I have worn perm yaki, body wave, jheri curl, kinky, etc. It's all about what I wanted to do during that time. Weave hair, much like our own hair, has a mind of its own. I have had weave that I could spritz with water and be done & other hair where I wanted to slap some relaxer on because it was a HAM. Dealing with my own hair & weave hair have been night & day for me. The weave hair has to be simple for me or else I'll be ready to take it out.

Simple answer.
Everyone isn't the same, and some people don't go so deeply into weave by analyzing who wears what and why and what kinda....whatever.
I just do it for the styles.
The variety is fun, and it protects your hair.
The end.

Back