BKT Causes Massive Breakage in 6 Months???

:nono: thats the chick who claimed some black lady threw some acid in her face. come to find out the chick was lying and she did it to her self.

yeah i heard about that, and of course she blamed a black chick. like a black womans going to throw acid in your face...MAYE if you slept with her man but even so shed use her fists!!

I experienced pretty significant breakage about 3 months after a BKT. However, I had a Japanese thermal in my hair and was trying out the BKT. I had the Japanese thermal in my hair for several years with no problems.

The BKT was just introduced in this country at that time and where I went to get my Japanese thermal done, I saw the customer next to me getting something slightly different than me and I asked my stylist what was she having done to her hair. They told me BKT. I asked if it was OK to get a BKT done on my hair and they said it would be fine.

A few months later, I went to another salon (in another city) and I got the BKT done and that started my hair loss. It did not begin to fall out until about the 3rd month and it continued to fall out for the next 2-3 months. It got to the point where I just had a few strands of long hair that I was still trying to hang on to and finally I said, "Forget this," and I took a pair of scissors and I chopped off the few long pieces to even everything out.

I think I got bad advice about using those two treatments on your head simultaneously and being told a BKT would be "safe" on hair that had a Japanese thermal. But it was also something very new at the time and my stylist probably did not have any customers who had already transitioned from Japanese to BKT. They probably just assumed anything is safe with a Japanese thermal (like a relaxer on top of a Japanese thermal is supposed to be).

But anyway, that experience makes me leery of getting the BKT again. Fortunately, my hair has now grown back and then some. Right now I am natural, but I plan on getting either an Ionic perm or a digital perm (both Japanese reconditioning-types of treatments) within the next few months. I have had very good results with the Japanese products and the Japanese thermals permanently change the hair and do not wear off like the BKT. Only touch-ups to NG are necessary.

you better makes a thread and show sum pichas!!!

I had a BKT and color done about 5 months ago at a Salon. I was about 11 months post. The only thing good about the treatment for me was that it helped me to get a smoother roller set. My treatment was suppose to last 4-6 months. I noticed dryness and shedding immediately. My ends looked horrible. I got a good trim about months after the treatment. My hair continued to feel dry and shed until I did my henna gloss last week which made my hair feel incredible and stopped the shedding. I would highly suggest trying a henna treatment before getting a BKT and seeing if this gives u the results u r looking for. Its natural and will save u tons of money. I did a roller set this weekend and I love the results.

thanks im def going to try this out!! i was looking into BKT but i thought with all that heat would it be helping or hurting? i get dry ends VERY quickly so idt its for me.

I hate to say it but I got my first BKT 4 days ago (rejuvenol) and washed today with MAJOR shedding and breakage. I was afraid this would happen. My hair is well past my shoulders but has always been a little fine/fragile. I got the BKT to help with transitioning breakage and it has obviously made things 100 times worse. Searching now for something to reverse this. When I washed my hair today it felt hard and wiry, not soft and easy to comb through. Very weird. My washes usually are easy to comb through because I use very moisturizing products.

If you have sensitive hair or hair that breaks when it's time for a relaxer, I would definitely say STAY AWAY! BKT obviously works well for some but it can be a nightmare for others. In hindsight, not worth the risk.

I've had it twice during my transition. Once done by a pro, and once done myself. My hair didn't fall out, my scalp didn't burn, I didn't grow a third eye. I had wonderful results and no side effects.

So Far So Good with my BKT, A little drying but I quick fixed that with using my sudsy Sulfate free shampoo.

I also Still steam in my treatments, I use Aphogee 2 minute still. I still protective style and wear my hair out when I want. I have been getting more shedding before my BKT and now it simmered down a little. I bought a bigger bottle and intend to do it again in Feb-April :)

I was able to get my hair back to normal by doing a 2 min aphogee treatment followed by a black tea rinse mixed with my kenra moisturizing conditioner. The black tea rinse is what really did it. It is the greatest thing in the world. It always makes my hair feel really smooth with cuticles aligned and it stops shedding. I did lose A LOT of hair with this BKT ordeal so I will NOT be doing it again.

BTW, my rejuvenol was done by a licensed beautician who has a rejuvenol in her own hair which looked and felt great. Also, my hair was healthy, it's just always been what I call "sensitive", like it breaks when it's time for a relaxer (8 weeks post) and I would NEVER chance putting color in my hair in fear that it might take it out.

Here is a link to a site listing quotes from several women with extreme hair loss due to BKT.
Had I read this beforehand, I would not have gotten it. It seems to either work beautifully or cause major issues.
Reaction to Keratin Hair Treatment

I hate to say it but I got my first BKT 4 days ago (rejuvenol) and washed today with MAJOR shedding and breakage. I was afraid this would happen. My hair is well past my shoulders but has always been a little fine/fragile. I got the BKT to help with transitioning breakage and it has obviously made things 100 times worse. Searching now for something to reverse this. When I washed my hair today it felt hard and wiry, not soft and easy to comb through. Very weird. My washes usually are easy to comb through because I use very moisturizing products.

If you have sensitive hair or hair that breaks when it's time for a relaxer, I would definitely say STAY AWAY! BKT obviously works well for some but it can be a nightmare for others. In hindsight, not worth the risk.

The BKT is just like a relaxer in the sense that you have to be very knowledgeable about how it works and how to use it properly and understand a few things like:

1). Hair density and strength
2). Knowing when to modify heat
3). How different treatments react on different types/textures of hair
4). Proper conditioning and follow up products

Unless you are very experienced in doing the treatments on your own head, try to find someone that has been doing the treatments for a least a year or longer. There are so many variables to consider and because it's relatively new, there's alot of trial and error involved.

I've been BKT'ing almost 2 years and I'm almost 18 months post.:) My hair has been growing and thriving LIKE CRAZY. I have had a LEAST 5 hairCUTS this year and my hair is *still* a few inches below BSL. I also love the fact that I can have pretty caramel highlights without any breakage or damage.

Suggestions:

If you have very fine or fragile hair test a few spots before you do the treatment all over. Even if the temperature is lowered to 350-380 degrees you can still have major breakage and shedding. My mom's hair is extremely fine and she is unable to tolerate the treatments. Also, very fine hair will lose quite a bit of volume.

Please make sure YOU DON'T OVER SATURATE THE HAIR!!! (sorry to yell..lol). When you do this u have to use more passes of the flatiron to get rid of the waxy, coated, feeling and you will experience breakage as a result. Once you apply the treatment allover from root to tip take a large towel and blot your hair just like you would if you were towel drying after washing. This will eliminate the excess product and allow you to blow dry more quickly and get silker results with few flatiron passes.

If you have very strong hair (my hair has medium strand density and is very strong) then you shouldn't have the same issues with breakage. I also think it's important to focus more on moisture than protein since the treatments are keratin (protein) based (although I do still use my Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor occasionally). I use ALOT of Kenra and Redken Smooth Down Butter Treatment to keep my hair moist. :yep: I just got my Silicon Mix in the mail yesterday so I plan on testing it this weekend!:drunk:

Like Sheba said, the hair is not indestructable so don't get too happy and start doing the most! I protect and moisturize my hair just like I did when I was relaxed. Just like ignorance contributes to breakage with relaxers it will contribute to breakage with BKT/Keratin Treatments, mainly because of the over usage of extremely high heat. This treatment can be a blessing or a curse, for me it has been a GODSEND!

Last edited:
Everytime I see one of these threads.. I debate about going in.... but today I'm gonna bite. Not everybody's hair is the same and not everyone's hair is gonna like/tolerate the same stuff.. but with that being said... BKT has done nothing to my hair but make it thrive and sent me from barely APL to comfortably MBL in a little over a year... I have no BREAKAGE at all and have not had a relaxer/texlax since February 09. It has made my transition a breeze..

It's not gonna work for everybody.. but honestly what does? When I see these sweeping statements about the detriment its caused to people..I understand.. but I take it with a grain of salt. You can take BKT away in the statement and insert any of the following in place of it..and I'm sure there would be some people who have experienced "massive breakage" from

bunning
protein
X brand of shampoo or conditioner

or a varied number of things.. people just have to weigh the good and the bad... do their own research and come up with their own conclusions. :kanyeshrug:

JazziLady, how do you make black tea rinse, just as the name implies?

My 3a, fine hair is breaking and falling out as a result of a Pravana non-formaldehyde keratin treatment that my stylist applied to my hair. I am in horror because it took years to achieve the length I had, now my hair is thinning. I am going to a dermatologist to ensure that it is not permanently damaged, or falling out from the root!

I was able to get my hair back to normal by doing a 2 min aphogee treatment followed by a black tea rinse mixed with my kenra moisturizing conditioner. The black tea rinse is what really did it. It is the greatest thing in the world. It always makes my hair feel really smooth with cuticles aligned and it stops shedding. I did lose A LOT of hair with this BKT ordeal so I will NOT be doing it again.

BTW, my rejuvenol was done by a licensed beautician who has a rejuvenol in her own hair which looked and felt great. Also, my hair was healthy, it's just always been what I call "sensitive", like it breaks when it's time for a relaxer (8 weeks post) and I would NEVER chance putting color in my hair in fear that it might take it out.

Here is a link to a site listing quotes from several women with extreme hair loss due to BKT.
Had I read this beforehand, I would not have gotten it. It seems to either work beautifully or cause major issues.
Reaction to Keratin Hair Treatment

Well it seems my hair is also falling out from the root -- you should have seen all the hair that came out during the wash today! All as a result of this BKT - my hair was beautiful, long and completely natural before this horrific treatment. Granted, it has worked beautifully for many. But for myself, for at least 70 women on the Oprah.com thread, and the shorthair keratin forum (google to find it), it has proven to be a disaster. I just pray that the falling/breakage stops soon, that the damage is not permanent, and that my hair will grow back soon! Just last month I was sporting my own long hair, now I am wearing a wig!

I wish I could go into details with photos, but I am not home at the moment. I would have to say that I too suffered hairloss/breakage from doing a BKT. I did it myself at home, carefully following the instructions. I even lowered the heat knowing that my strands were fine. I did it the 1st time and didn't notice too much breakage. By the second application, in a matter of a two week span, my hair was falling out horribly. It felt like wire. I'm a person who doesn't use heat on my hair, only during the BKT process. I was wearing a quickweave and only BKTed the leave out. I have breakage in the "U" area about the size of a half dollar, I'd say. It was the only part of my hair that got something different. Everytime I'd run my hands through my hair, it fell out in clumps. Initially I thought it was my migraine meds causing the breakage/hairloss, but if that was the case, it would be all over, not just in the "U" part of my hair. I'm happy to say I've gone hardcore on my haircare routine... went back to my original regimen and will be wigging it until this grows out. The rest of my hair is relaxed and I've got a "TWA" on top of my head. If I do a sidepart, I could do a combover. LOL! The shedding & breakage has stopped. I have pics from Dec 2 installing my quickweave with braid pattern & by Dec 17, hair is GONE!!!! It just may not agree with everyone.

I really do believe the technique and heat have a lot to do with it, I've been BKTing going on 2 years (or more) with no problems thank goodness. I actually think its helped retain my hair with all the dyeinng I do.

I have been BKT'ing for two years and I have had excellent results and no breakage. My hair is medium textured and VERY, VERY strong so I can use alot of heat without getting damage. My mother's hair is very fine and her hair cannot tolerate all of the heat without alot of breakage...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

Back