Bigen Hair Color

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

At the advice of someone, I purchased this hair color for gray. I also bought FO-TI so I won't have to do this again.

Anyway, the stuff is super easy to use. Problem #1: it is intense and it stained my vanity, sink and floor - I am working on that. I bought one box of the stuff. My hair is pretty thick when it is nappy and I ran out. Therefore, I am sure that one side of my hair is darker than the other. The color is very intense as stated earlier. I got black brown and now it seems like my hair is almost blue black; it was black brown pre-color.

Drying effects: I can't really be sure. The hair feels funny with the color on it. However, my hair is super nappy (6 weeks which is WAYYYY too long for me to wait for a relaxer) and, therefore, I can't tell if it feels funny because I washed it while it had too much new growth or if it is the color.

Gray coverage: I would have to think that it covers excellently. My hair is so dark I can't imagine a gray strand escaping the color.

I get my relaxer tomorrow and should know more about the true condition of the hair.

Overall, I am pleased because 1) it's quick and 2) the color took without any effort by me.

I'm glad you posted this. I am considering bigen since, although I love my hennalucent gleaming ebony, whenever I wash my hair it stains the collars of my white shirts (or white satin bonnet, if I wash my hair before sleeping, a bluish gray.
Is bigen permanent, or will it do the same thing?

It must be pretty permanent because I can't get it off anything it touches. Tomorrow, I get a relaxer and will see if any of the color washes out.

If I am going to do a permanent color, I like to do it before rather than after. The hair seems sort of okay. I think it is a little bit dry and it is WAAAAY too dark.

The rule/saying is colour a perm, never perm a colour. When you get your touch up, you may notice the cream turn purple.

[ QUOTE ]
It must be pretty permanent because I can't get it off anything it touches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try rubbing a plain, white toothpaste like original Crest (not gel) on the stains and leave it on overnight. Then scrub them with whatever if safe for your surfaces. (I used a mixture of Oxy Clean and Soft Scrub...)

[ QUOTE ]
The rule/saying is colour a perm, never perm a colour. When you get your touch up, you may notice the cream turn purple.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
I already got my relaxer. The hair is still too black.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It must be pretty permanent because I can't get it off anything it touches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try rubbing a plain, white toothpaste like original Crest (not gel) on the stains and leave it on overnight. Then scrub them with whatever if safe for your surfaces. (I used a mixture of Oxy Clean and Soft Scrub...)

[/ QUOTE ]
__
I'll try that. I forgot I had some Oxyclean in the house.

maybe you should have tried dark brown instead of black brown. cause black brown is a softer black. the other one would be oriental black, and that one is the blue black. i looooved that color. it was really pretty.
just keep washing your hair and you will see that it will wash out gradually.

londondiva,

that's exactly what i was thinking. i think it's better for the hair that way too.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you should have tried dark brown instead of black brown. cause black brown is a softer black. the other one would be oriental black, and that one is the blue black. i looooved that color. it was really pretty.
just keep washing your hair and you will see that it will wash out gradually.

londondiva,

that's exactly what i was thinking. i think it's better for the hair that way too.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
Next time, I will try the brown. I do like how the color took. Unfortunately, the darkness makes me look harsh. The color must not be that drastic though because no one has even asked.

Could you list all the ingredients in the Bigen?
cool.gif
Thank You.

None of them are recognizable and it probably would take forever for me to type them. Stuff like Sodium Perborate, cellulose gum, P-Phenylenediamine sulfate, etc..

My mom has used it for years, but it looks blue/black and I don't like it. I've always told her that it isn't her color, but she continues to use it religiously. It definitely does its job of coloring her hair, but when her hair is in the light, you can tell what's been colored, and what her natural hair color is.

Bettie - I have a box of Bigen, oriental black, but I have always been afraid to use it on my relaxed hair because it is a permanent color. Do any of you relaxed heads use permanent color on your relaxed hair. and if so how long do you wait after the relaxer to apply it? I would love to be able to do it as these semi's don't last long enough.

Thanks!
Rhonda

[ QUOTE ]
Bettie - I have a box of Bigen, oriental black, but I have always been afraid to use it on my relaxed hair because it is a permanent color. Do any of you relaxed heads use permanent color on your relaxed hair. and if so how long do you wait after the relaxer to apply it? I would love to be able to do it as these semi's don't last long enough.

Thanks!
Rhonda

[/ QUOTE ]

I relax and I use a permenant. I use Clairol Textures and Tones, it doesn't have ammonia so It's supposed to be less harsh. I wait about a week or two after I relax before I color. It's the grey around my hair line that bugs me. Even after a permenant dye my hair grows so fast the grey is visible again after a week, so sometimes I'll use a semi or I actually use That Just For Men hair coloring that they use for their sideburns to cover up that patch of grey that irritates me.

I do have a box of Bigen, but haven't tried it yet.

I haven't experienced any breakage.... yet

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Rhonda

[/ QUOTE ]
__
I am relaxed but I guess you would look for other opinions. The color had no adverse affect on my hair that was relaxed 3 days post color. I always like to color before the relaxer.

Bett1e,

Did you get the stains removed from your vanity, sink and floor? This color must take good on the hair.

I hate to admit this but I am not a big housekeeper. I will try the toothpaste right now.

Oh my goodness this stuff broke my hair off big time! Yeah it was effective in coloring my gray but big-time hair breakage. I used this before I had relaxed my hair so the duo chemical problem wasn't the culprit just the Bigen.

Now my friend whose hair is almost totally gray, swears by this product but i threw it away.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh my goodness this stuff broke my hair off big time! Yeah it was effective in coloring my gray but big-time hair breakage. I used this before I had relaxed my hair so the duo chemical problem wasn't the culprit just the Bigen.

Now my friend whose hair is almost totally gray, swears by this product but i threw it away.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
It's amazing how a product works for one and not for another. Most of the products recommended to me have failed except for a few.

CynamonKiss: What other things had you done to your hair prior? Did you deep condition or protein first? Where did your hair break: at the root or down the hair shaft? Did you deep condition or protein immediately after doing the color? curious to see if there is a preventative method> Bonjour

Bigen has never broken my hair off. I have used for about 4 years. I use #59, Oriental Black. The first time I used it I got it on the sink and vanity. I used bleach and Ajax to get it out. I use a solution of bleach, Pine Sol, and water in a spray bottle to disinfect my kitchen counters, and I sprayed that on the stains, and let it sit. I also put a little Ajax on there. It came out. But, if you get that stuff on clothing/fabric it WILL NOT come out. I ALWAYS wear a black shirt and use a black towel when coloring. That way it doesn't matter if I get some on there.

I would apply to my relaxed hair 2-3 weeks post touch up when I was relaxing. Now that I'm transitioning, I apply every 2 months or 3 months. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
i was going to try it, but brought the sta-sof-fro powder dye instead because my grandma uses it and her hair is great. has anyone else tried sta-sof-fro dye?? :confused:

I used Bigen in Oriental Black and it didn't break my hair off. I read previous threads that said it makes the hair hard, so I deep conditioned with a moisturizing conditioner right after. No problems and I love the color.

Jewell said:
Bigen has never broken my hair off. I have used for about 4 years. I use #59, Oriental Black. The first time I used it I got it on the sink and vanity. I used bleach and Ajax to get it out. I use a solution of bleach, Pine Sol, and water in a spray bottle to disinfect my kitchen counters, and I sprayed that on the stains, and let it sit. I also put a little Ajax on there. It came out. But, if you get that stuff on clothing/fabric it WILL NOT come out. I ALWAYS wear a black shirt and use a black towel when coloring. That way it doesn't matter if I get some on there.

I would apply to my relaxed hair 2-3 weeks post touch up when I was relaxing. Now that I'm transitioning, I apply every 2 months or 3 months. I like it a lot.

Hey Jewell,
Can you tell me what type of conditioner you use after your Bigen tx. Also, is one box enough for you? I brought a box the other day and am set on using it on my next wash day. The NTM line is pretty moisturizing and I'm thinking of just using that but want to make sure it will do the trick.

Back