Bigen hair color

Oh yeah, it is very well known on LHCF and used by many.

I use it and love it.

I actually henna my hair and still use it without any problems.

There are a very nice mixture posted by one of our members and I cannot remember her name (shame on me). But you know I saved her post. :look:

This is what she typed:
I used a cheapie conditioner. I don't know exact measurements. I probably used about 1/4 bottle of conditioner, 1/4 bottle of water (so we're up to 1/2 bottle of liquid) and then I added 2 bottles of the Oriental black.
My hair was really conditioned and the color was very rich.

I actually use it according to the directions and love it. I would suggest 2 or 3 kits if you have a lot of hair to color.

In my opinion, Bigen hair color is the mildest, easiest, hair color around. You can even use it right after relaxing. That's mild! I love it! I've been using it for years on my relaxed APL hair, and I have no breakage or shedding like I hear people talk about with other hair colors. I use to use the oriental black, it was absolutely beautiful! I wasnt really sure if black went well with my skin color, so i removed it. I think I'll try the brown in a couple of months to see how it looks on me.

In my opinion, Bigen hair color is the mildest, easiest, hair color around. You can even use it right after relaxing. That's mild! I love it! I've been using it for years on my relaxed APL hair, and I have no breakage or shedding like I hear people talk about with other hair colors. I use to use the oriental black, it was absolutely beautiful! I wasnt really sure if black went well with my skin color, so i removed it. I think I'll try the brown in a couple of months to see how it looks on me.

Okay you need to let us know how you removed it!!

Are there any other colors besides Black? And for dark hair women does this product get their hair lighter? My hair is very stubborn when going lighter than dark brown.

There's a hair color remover called "Color Oops". It's the only thing that can remove black hair dye. It's gentle and safe. It's easy to remove the color with this stuff. I got mine from a walgreens but it's hard to find. It will probably be easier to find online.

There's a hair color remover called "Color Oops". It's the only thing that can remove black hair dye. It's gentle and safe. It's easy to remove the color with this stuff. I got mine from a walgreens but it's hard to find. It will probably be easier to find online.

my hair is dyed black, its been black for awhile, but im nervous to remove the color because I have no idea what's underneath. But I take it its not good to put a light color ontop of a dark.....hmmmm

You can't put a light color on top of black. You would have to remove the color or bleach (lighten with peroxide) to get a light shade after you've had black on your hair. The bleaching takes many people's hair out or makes it shed or break.

The color oops is safe, my daughter and I have used it. Our hair is brown now. We had No shedding or breaking. Some people have to do it twice. Because the dye has been on a long time, the box says that it may take two tries. It works.

The color oops does not contain peroxide or other harsh or strong ingredients. It works by loosening the bond between the color and the hair.

^^^Yeah, you should probably do patch tests because some people have reactions to the high amounts of PPD.

I'm still thinking about doing a Bigen. For now, I've just been rinsing.

I've never had a bad experience with it. There are going to be people that will have bad reactions to many things. Maybe she was allergic to an ingredient, maybe something was wrong with her scalp, who knows. There was a boy on tv that's allergic to water. Who knows why she had a bad reaction? That doesn't mean that you will. Do the patch test. You will love the richness of Bigen hair color.

Some people are afraid of it because they think it's new but it's not. It's been around for soooo many years and many people love it. I know many people who uses bigen. My sister started me on it. She has been using it for many years.

I did not like Bigen on my hair. Dark brown was a "flat" dark color
that reminded me of shoe polish in that it did not have any dimension
or shine..it seemed to absorb light.

It did, however, cover my greys and did not wash out

I used dark brown 2 weeks ago to cover up some grey only on a small section and it look black so I end of having to cover all of my hair. Something I did not want to do, so be careful on your color selection.

I agree with the colors being very dark. Dark brown was wayyyy too dark for me. I have used med. chestnut and chocolate as well. I think I might try the color oops and see if I can get some of the color out. I do love bigen and I have tried many different types of color. BIgen is the only one that covers my grey.

My friend brought me some..i think its a medium brown color..i am just so nervous to put any perm color for fear of breakedge..

Most permanent hair color lifts your color first and then you apply the color you are trying to go to.

Bigen just deposits the color to your hair in the same manner henna does, except it is NOT henna. Just acts in the same way. And there is no peroxide or ammonia.

That is why it is different.

There are a few others on the market. Robert Craig, which I don't care for as much. You get more color and you apply it from a color applicator bottle, which I like. The powder turns into a mousse. The color is not as rich for me but those that complain about Bigen being too dark may like Robert Craig: http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php His jet black is more like a 1B color.

I bought two kits and after using them, I went back to bigen. I just like it better.

There is also that Water Works hair color that is like Bigen. I see it online often and at Sally's, but i have never tried that one.

Last edited:
The color oops does not contain peroxide or other harsh or strong ingredients. It works by loosening the bond between the color and the hair.

Denise11 thanks for the color oops idea!! I tried it today and it work great!
No issues with my hair at all.

I started using Bigen after reading Cathy Howse's hair growth story in June 2005. I now use black/brown or deep brown, and the color is rich and gentle. It covers my "skunk patch" like nothing else, with shedding or breakage:yep:

I've been using Bigen now for a few years - Oriental Black - I love it and have had no problems with it. I am actually putting it in tomorrow.

I use it all the time. It seems to make my hair feel stronger. I've had no adverse affects thus far.

I agree with how it makes the hair feel stronger and very soft too. I love using the oriental black because it's so rich and every time I use it it gives my hair this beautiful shine.

Back