Big A** Hair and the workplace.

DrC

I got a second job as a hostess at a restaurant. I was sent this text around 12:30 while watching "This is 40" with a few of my friends. Frieda, Ophelia and Scarlet.

Supervisor:

Hey DrC, the boss asked if you could "bring in your hair" I think he means to wear it more compact. Sorry, and can you do that?

Me:
LOL ha ha. Yes. I can do that. No big deal

My hair is hitting bra-strap length and I wear it in a twist out/braid out. sometimes it will get puffy and big. I don't mind pulling it back. And it is complimenting for me to know my hair is so big its distracting. Everything was fine until I told them about the text. Never in my life have I seen my friends become so.... "militant" :look:. Obviously it became a huge deal when they paused the movie.

Frieda: What? Oh my gosh that is discrimination. (<---reaching.)

Me: Uhh no it's not :look:

Ophelia: You can wear your hair down, but they let the other hostess with the 40 inch wavy weave wear her hair down? F*** that.

Scarlett: You need to find a new job! It's a big problem when a place has a problem with my hair!

All of us are naturals and I think the natural movement causes some to be overly self righteous? I don't see the big deal. It's just hair.

What say you members? :drunk:

It's not like they're asking you to put it in a relaxer or something, just to put it in a pony/puff or whatever. I'd do the same thing you did

I mean it's not a big deal, it's just hair. And as long as you're comfortable bringing it in, then there's no problem.

Just how big is your hair though that it's so distracting? Are these people not used to natural hair?

On the flip side, I might have been annoyed if it were me. But probably not angry

I mean it's not a big deal, it's just hair. And as long as you're comfortable bringing it in, then there's no problem.

Just how big is your hair though that it's so distracting? Are these people not used to natural hair?

On the flip side, I might have been annoyed if it were me. But probably not angry

I'm about BSL so it gets pretty poofy. No complaints from the customers. They always compliment me and want to touch it (yt people :lol:)

Yeah....I can see if it were about working im a restaurant...I've done it for plenty of years and honestly if it touches ur shoulders+ then it should be tied back. Any other reason is BS.

Nah its way to hard to get a job now a days. If all they want is a ponytail/bun then for 8 hours I would rock a bun (umm protective hairstyle). And the minute I clocked out I'd let that mane go free.

If you're fine with the issue, then idk why your friends are being so frantic about it. With big bodacious hair comes great responsibility. Some naturals are full of it. They think they should be able to do everything those with a looser texture can do, but that's not the case. If our hair is too big for a certain type of hat, don't get mad at the hat maker and say the're discriminating, WEAR A DIFFERENT HAT. Like, it was never that deep.

Back