Beyond What We Can Bear?

loolalooh

I had to revamp the OP because the original was probably a bit overwhelming to others. I'm going to break it up into two separate threads. This is the first one:

After talking with my sister (who is also a Christian), I think I have better clarity in what I am asking. Here we go:

These Scriptures come to my mind when it comes to avoiding/battling temptation:

We will not be tempted beyond what we can bear; God will always give us a way out of temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Resist the devil and he will flee (James 4:7).

Guard your heart. (Proverbs 4:23)

My question is, how do you balance between "guarding your heart" and going into complete isolation? What if your only "way out of temptation" is separation from the world and thus isolation? How do you stay "in" the world (not "of" the world, but "in" the world) but also "resist the devil so that he can flee"? My sister gave an interesting one-word answer, but I want to hear what others have to say.

Additionally, what do you say to someone who continues to succumb to temptation (to a particular habitual sin) when he/she goes into the world? This someone now feels that the only way to prevent falling is to remain in isolation. Thus, this person encounters a state of loneliness, which in itself isn't good either.

The best example I can imagine up is someone who is a recovering alcoholic, but has to avoid: clubs, lounges, bars, stores with liquor aisles, his church home during Communion because they serve real wine, all his friends because they drink socially every time they get together, television because he doesn't know when liquor ads will pop up, etc. Thus he finds himself in a lonely, isolated place. (This may or may not be a realistic example, but it is similar to the actual scenario.)

Last edited:
I had to revamp the OP because the original was probably a bit overwhelming to others. I'm going to break it up into two separate threads. This is the first one:

After talking with my sister (who is also a Christian), I think I have better clarity in what I am asking. Here we go:

These Scriptures come to my mind when it comes to avoiding/battling temptation:

My question is, how do you balance between "guarding your heart" and going into complete isolation? What if your only "way out of temptation" is separation from the world and thus isolation? How do you stay "in" the world (not "of" the world, but "in" the world) but also "resist the devil so that he can flee"? My sister gave an interesting one-word answer, but I want to hear what others have to say.

Additionally, what do you say to someone who continues to succumb to temptation (to a particular habitual sin) when he/she goes into the world? This someone now feels that the only way to prevent falling is to remain in isolation. Thus, this person encounters a state of loneliness, which in itself isn't good either.

The best example I can imagine up is someone who is a recovering alcoholic, but has to avoid: clubs, lounges, bars, stores with liquor aisles, his church home during Communion because they serve real wine, all his friends because they drink socially every time they get together, television because he doesn't know when liquor ads will pop up, etc. Thus he finds himself in a lonely, isolated place. (This may or may not be a realistic example, but it is similar to the actual scenario.)

Isolation is the opposite of our calling. The religious leaders of the day criticized Jesus because he interacted with the world rather than staying on "his side of the railroad tracks". So if in your zeal to avoid temptation...you cannot carry out your commission (and work, and family, and fellowship with other believers) then you are not delivered but are still bound by that sin. You are letting it guide your life. This is not what God intends for us.

Avoidance is not deliverance...just as avoidance does not equal forgiveness. It is wise to place hedges around yourself to avoid falling into temptations...but the hedge is not the primary source of deliverance/healing/freedom...Jesus Christ is. HE is the God that heals us...He is our refuge...He is our deliverer.

I don't have a formula for people who deal with particular sins but I do know that the scriptures your quoted above are true and to be depened upon. And also remembering that Gods grace is sufficient for us...especially in our infirmities.

In my personal experiences with sins that "plague me" I pray...and not just once! lol, I study what the word of God says about it...using this sword of the spirit to combat those fiery darts, and I keep myself away from those temptations. Eventually I dont have to be as vigilant concerning those hedges, but I make sure to know my triggers or when Im getting too lax (so I won't slip).

Hmm I would think what is imporant to a person they will fight to do what is needed. So if that meant staying away from things then so be it. A person would then need to fill his or her time with the Lord in deep study.

After a time one will have to be able to withstand no matter what. It will take time and if it's imporant they will. If they continue to sin all one can do is pray for them and keep them focus.

It's not what is on the outside of us that causes us to sin. Scriptures says that we are tempted and ultimately sin when we are drawn away by our own desires.

Through repentance and the process of genuine sanctification, we should cease desiring sinful things. We are not yet perfect, and so we have to flee temptation, lest we give into sinful desires. But fleeing temptation is only the first part. We need a change of heart as well.

The change of heart comes from the renewal of the mind through reading Scripture and bringing every thought captive to Christ.

Isolation is the opposite of our calling. The religious leaders of the day criticized Jesus because he interacted with the world rather than staying on "his side of the railroad tracks". So if in your zeal to avoid temptation...you cannot carry out your commission (and work, and family, and fellowship with other believers) then you are not delivered but are still bound by that sin. You are letting it guide your life. This is not what God intends for us.

Avoidance is not deliverance...just as avoidance does not equal forgiveness. It is wise to place hedges around yourself to avoid falling into temptations...but the hedge is not the primary source of deliverance/healing/freedom...Jesus Christ is. HE is the God that heals us...He is our refuge...He is our deliverer.

I don't have a formula for people who deal with particular sins but I do know that the scriptures your quoted above are true and to be depened upon. And also remembering that Gods grace is sufficient for us...especially in our infirmities.

In my personal experiences with sins that "plague me" I pray...and not just once! lol, I study what the word of God says about it...using this sword of the spirit to combat those fiery darts, and I keep myself away from those temptations. Eventually I dont have to be as vigilant concerning those hedges, but I make sure to know my triggers or when Im getting too lax (so I won't slip).

Hmm I would think what is imporant to a person they will fight to do what is needed. So if that meant staying away from things then so be it. A person would then need to fill his or her time with the Lord in deep study.

After a time one will have to be able to withstand no matter what. It will take time and if it's imporant they will. If they continue to sin all one can do is pray for them and keep them focus.

It's not what is on the outside of us that causes us to sin. Scriptures says that we are tempted and ultimately sin when we are drawn away by our own desires.

Through repentance and the process of genuine sanctification, we should cease desiring sinful things. We are not yet perfect, and so we have to flee temptation, lest we give into sinful desires. But fleeing temptation is only the first part. We need a change of heart as well.

The change of heart comes from the renewal of the mind through reading Scripture and bringing every thought captive to Christ.

Thanks for chiming in, ladies. You've made some great points. The bolded especially.

Back